OCR00877 - Chrono Trigger "Crying Mountain"

DarkCecil13

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I find this mix complements kLuTz' Another World remix very nicely. I've listened to the two of them back to back on loop for literally hours at a time, and it gets to be like some weird kind of drug and I feel kinda bad when I stop.

Hats off to you, Saiko, this is excellent stuff.

Any of the singing mountain songs are good in my mind. I think this is my favorite of them all though. Because it's not all bleeps and bloops, and it keeps the orchestration side of the song. the drums are great, although quite repetitve, the aren't obnoxious or monotonous. Wow, this truely is a fine song. just be careful not to repeat the same segments of a song more then twice without adding or taking away something. A+

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, so take it with a grain of salt.

The original piece, if I remember correctly, didn't even make the cut for the game. It was only featured as a hidden piece on the CDs and piano solo book. (Of which, incedentally, I own both...)

It's a nice little ditty, but over all, as with A LOT of the original Chrono Score, Mitsuda (the main Japanese composer for Chrono Trigger...) likes to rip off of Ghibli Studio's Miyazaki/Hisaishi.

Again, don't get me wrong. I LOVE most of the themes for Chrono, but a lot, I feel was just re-hashed Hisaishi Joe.

Take this piece for example. If one analyzes the tune and chords, It's just a re-mix of everyone's favorite Laputa theme. (Kimi wo nosete - Hisaishi Joe)

Just for another example, take the music to the city of Zeal. (Isn't it funny how it's a city in the sky, "held there by a mysterious power," and sealed doors that only an amulet can open... hrm...) The melody is certainly different, but the chords and instrumentation aren't... listen to the soundtrack for Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. Same drums, and sitar-esque melody...

Mitsuda also likes Disney it seems... the piece I found the most ANNOYING (Delightful Spekkio) sounds like a rip off of "I Just Can't Wait to be King," from the Lion King (which is a rip-off of Tezuka's Kimba: The White Lion... my just layers upon layers...). And for those of you who passed the game, anyone ever seen the Main Street Electrical Parade when it was in Disneyland? (Now in California Adventure?) Another Square game that really liked the Electrical Parade music was Mario RPG.

So I've really nothing to say about this re-mix, which is essentially, a remix of a rip-off of an original piece. It's an interesting rendition of Mitsuda's attempt at Laputa, though, sorry to say, sounds like just about any other re-mix. Because there are tons and tons of remixers out there, a remix has to be exceptional. And again, don't take it personal, this one just ain't. It's pretty bland and predictable, and it's with an annoying re-hash of a pre-existing melody to boot.

Never give up though! Cheers...

• 3 weeks later...

This mix is awesome.

While I'm at it, I can't let this go past without commenting:

Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, so take it with a grain of salt.

The original piece, if I remember correctly, didn't even make the cut for the game. It was only featured as a hidden piece on the CDs and piano solo book. (Of which, incedentally, I own both...)

It's a nice little ditty, but over all, as with A LOT of the original Chrono Score, Mitsuda (the main Japanese composer for Chrono Trigger...) likes to rip off of Ghibli Studio's Miyazaki/Hisaishi.

Again, don't get me wrong. I LOVE most of the themes for Chrono, but a lot, I feel was just re-hashed Hisaishi Joe.

Take this piece for example. If one analyzes the tune and chords, It's just a re-mix of everyone's favorite Laputa theme. (Kimi wo nosete - Hisaishi Joe)

You flat-out don't have a clue what you're talking about here.

First of all, same chord progression != total ripoff, especially with a common and simple chord progression like this.

Second of all, if anything, Hisaishi ripped off Pachelbel.

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was totally feeling this until the super sour note in the otherwise awesome synth line at 1:16. OUUUUCCCHHH...

Besides that, this is good stuff, I love the big beats mixed with the horn and piano, and the synth backing is very cool too. The source is simple but pretty, and the treatment of this is overall cool, it's just that one line that isn't in the right key. :/

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00877 - Chrono Trigger "Crying Mountain"