OCR00878 - Mega Man 3 "Mega Man 2003"

DarkCecil13

Mega Man 3 'Mega Man 2003'

First off, I feel differently about the intro than djp does :) I felt that the introduction was just supercool. Listen for yourself :) At 0:30, Gecko Yamori quickly changes the style in a full-fledged electronica arrangement. But seriously, I'm tired of hearing Mega Man 3's intro music. It's almost annoying now. Speaking of annoying, I don't like the synth that comes in at 1:52. It's too loud and too "noticeable" for my tastes. However, this is probably the most enjoyable Mega Man 3 intro ReMix that I've heard in my time.

I have mixed feelings about the intro. On one hand, it's kinda out of place in a mix like this and the violin patch used bugs me, but on the other, its interesting, amusing, and Gecko Yamori gets to show off some jazz knowledge/skills. I think I like it. The real meat of this mix is done well. The song is structured well with good builds, some cool drum fills. The bassline is fast and staccatto, keeping the intensity high. Good synths used throughout (I do like the synth used at 1:52, except maybe hold back on some of the panning going on). The ending seems a bit cut off. More time should be given for the instruments to fade off of the final note and a little silence given so the listener can reflect on the awesomeness they just heard before the song repeats again or the next song in the playlist starts up. Good stuff here. I like.

Honestly, I know when two people remix the same song they are going to sound somewhat similar, but to my ear, this song sounds almost identical to Mustin's Blue Bomber Forever. At least for the first 30 seconds or so, anyway. The instruments are different, sure, and I don't mean to take anything away from Gecko's song, but the similarities are too much for me to enjoy this Mix. It feels like a remix of Mustin's track to me, not a MegaMan remix. I suppose that's not a bad thing, after all, both songs are well done. I dunno, it just doesn't sit well with me for some reason.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing Gecko of stealing or copying the song or anything. Like I said earlier, I know that when two people remix the same track, sometimes they're going to sound similar. But I can't help but be bothered by it--this song is just covering too much of the same ground. It's somewhat irrational of me to be bothered by it like this, but I can't help it. It's just the way I feel.)

This mix is very tight and fast-paced, much like other things from Gecko that I thorougly enjoyed, such as his recent Sonic CD mix. The only real "problem" with it is that this track has been remixed so many times that it is impossible to listen to without comparing the differences between this and other remixes of this track -- most notably DiscoDan's.

I'll have to agree with Tappy on this one. Although Gecko made a solid mix, I really can't shake the feeling of "I've heard this before" when I first gave a listen. Like Tappy, not to make any accusations of "copy" or "theft," I would think Gecko created this mix with "inspiration" from Mustin and Disco Dan as the whole of the track has a little "BlueLightning" feel to it. Other than that, on its own, its a solid mix that I did enjoy. :)

a) wav quality is arbitrary, but quite possibly better than mp3 quality

B) it sounds fine to me

c) I like it a lot. I also don't think "sounding like a previous remix" is much of a critisism. People are working from the same source material, and might have decided to take it in a similar way. I don't think just because someone else did it first it makes the latter remix any less musically interesting.

good work!

Okay people, enough discussion of "I've heard this so many times already". It could be worse; he could have made a Schala remix, you know? :lol:

Anyway, I think it was techno work well done. Synths samples were original and pleasing (yeah that one synth that was pointed out earlier was a little overbearing, but not painfully so). Variety was good, and that's always a plus for me, though I wish some liberty would have been taken with melody (seeing as how so many people are tired of the same song). Drum & bass work was superb; it felt good. A great mix!

P.S. I personally enjoy DiscoDan's mix the best as well (though it would have been better if it wasn't 8 minutes long :wink: ).

• 4 weeks later...

Mybe I'm a little late with this review, but I think this remix really recreates that energy from the game intro. Granted, the intro has been done quite a bit, but the refrain from the start is more punchy and energized than any I've heard so far. Great job.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I barely played this game and already I love this mix, I really like a song that at least some kind of build to it, like the beginning will start off real faint and quiet... then it immedietly picks up, thats what this remix does, and its very well done, Gecko.

The revving sounds in the middle, the part where it goes "Lets go!" and uses the heavy beeping noises... definitly one of my favorite parts. Overdone tune? Hell, I've never heard it before, I don't download many Mega Man 3 remixes, barely played the game, I was more into Mega Man 2. Good stuff Gecko!

• 1 month later...

<-- likes it.

Like I told Disco Dan, a really good Megaman remix IS a work of art. It's not something that can just be thrown together. If you've read my other reviews, you've probably gotten the sense that I'm really really picky, especially when it comes to pieces that are really complicated to mix. But this is really well done.

I, for one, love the intro. It's the appropriate way to set up the rest of the song, and once it serves its purpose, the piece really takes off. Again, well done.

And btw... don't listen to the philistines that say "this has been overdone". There's no such thing.

• 4 months later...

This mix is much better than Disco Dan's Blue Lightning mix, partly because it's faster paced, partly because it isn't 8 minutes long, and partly because it's...just....better.

EDIT: I take that back. Stupid laptop speakers getting in the way of Dan's greatness... You're still cool though. :)

Truly a work of art, this was one of the first mixes I've ever had but never got around to rating it.

92.5%

This is one of my favorite MM remixes. The synths and arrangement, though not spectacular, are put together in such a way to make this a truly awesome hard dance song. The middle part (the second repeat) would be my favorite, as I love the synth there. However, the end synth sort of annoys me, as it sounds sort of like the synth is 'clicking'. It's sort of hard to explain, but it irritates me on a barely-conscious level. While there's hardly any variation, I still think this remix deserves a 7/10.

the MM3 opening theme song is one of my absolute favorite VG songs, so much so that i requested that my friends and family play a nice version of it at my funeral when i eventually kick the bucket. morbid? yes. I think this is a great version of the song, albeit a little too frantic for use at a funeral. i like the opening too, but i think it does pale in comparison to some of the other great renditions of the opening sequence. project X, disco dan, and mustin all most notably made the intro work for me.

this is a great song, i should have reveiwed it earlier

• 3 weeks later...

This is my favorite out of the megaman 2003 remixes. It still has the 8 bit feel to it and all that, and you can't lose with a "let's go" sample. Also, you people seriously should stop bitching about the quantity of remixes of this song, there's only like 6, big fucking deal.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, this remix is the best version from Mega Man 3 intro remixes at ocremix.org so far.

However, I didn't like so much from that "main instrument change" at 1:53. It didn't sound that cool anymore because it wasn't so "smooth and continuous".

But still this is one of my favorite remixes at ocremix. 8)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00878 - Mega Man 3 "Mega Man 2003"