OC ReMix Fighting Game Tournament Special: Garou - Mark of the Wolves

Arek the Absolute

It is that time again. The holiday season is around, and what better way to celebrate it than with a holiday throw down!

The OCRemix Fighting Game tournament is back for a special holiday tournament.

In this tournament, we shall be doing the "round robin" format. Rules are simple for this. Default settings are mandatory.

Rules are a little different this time around. Estevao proposed a new scoring idea and I think that it is worth at least a try.

Each time you challenge an opponent, you are to play them three times, regardless of if you win the first two matches or not. Post the scores here and I shall keep tabs on how many matches you win. The top six people will then advance to the semi-finals where the top two get bi's while the bottom 4 will have to face each other in a best 3 out of 5 match style. The winners of those will face the top two, and those winners shall face each other in the finals.

As with all OCR FG tournaments, we will be using an emulator called Kawaks, a cps1/cps2 and neogeo emulator. It has its own netplay option that does not require lan, so we do not need to worry about using Hamatchi. There is, however, a new twist this time around. EasyP (ILLiterate) and I have been testing out a P2P mod for Kawak's netplay, and it has been working beautifully. It really reduces the lag and makes it so that moves actually come out on time without you having to compensate for the delay. You can download the mod and find the tutorial on how to use it here.

----

RECORDING MATCHES: Before starting any match, click "record game". After the match is over, go to your kawaks folder and you should notice a new folder named records. Inside the folder houses a krec file, which is a recording of the matches you just played against your opponent. If you want to watch it, just back to kawaks and click "Start Neplay". Once the kaillera client opens up, click on the drop down and change it from "1. P2P" to "3. Playback". You should see your match against your opponent selectable. Click play and you are set!

----

Round Robin play ends January 14th. Round robin play may have started, but that doesn't mean that you still can't sign up! You can join in anytime before January 7th.

So come on and join in the brawl today! You know you want to be an OCRFGt.

Competitors:

-Arek the Absolute

-ILLiterate

-Necrotic

-Blaster1980

-DjSammyG

-Broken

-Rad

-Leon

-Sega.

-Zethzen

-Estevao

-Axel B

-KeeganTheFox

As with all OCR FG tournaments, we will be using an emulator called Kawaks, a cps1/cps2 and neogeo emulator. It has its own netplay option that does not require lan, so we do not need to worry about using Hamatchi. There is, however, a new twist this time around. EasyP (ILLiterate) and I have been testing out a P2P mod for Kawak's netplay, and it has been working beautifully. It really reduces the lag and makes it so that moves actually come out on time without you having to compensate for the delay. You can download the mod and find the tutorial on how to use it here.

I've been using this p2p app in one nhl94 league for less than a week, and I'll sum it up here:

Hamachi was never used for Kawaks, we always went through Kaillera. Hamachi was for SNES9x only.

This new P2P app is nice in that it gives you the direct connection that you see in SNES9x, but the problem is that there's no IP decoying - those of you behind a tough firewall will probably prefer the "pick a server" route.

I'm not sure if Hamachi would work properly in conjunction with this thing, but it's worth a shot.

For someone who hasn't played this game before, sammy put up a hell of a fucking fight.

Can't wait to play him in an official match.

This is going to be good times.

Also, stop playing me in kof98 EasyP! We need to practice this cause it's throwin my garou groove off.

EDIT: Just messed with the playback function the p2p mod has, and it works beautifully. It doesn't show what is said between the two people, but at least we can see how the matches go.

Before starting any match, click "record game". After the match is over, go to your kawaks folder and you should notice a new folder named records. Inside the folder houses a krec file, which is a recording of the matches you just played against your opponent. If you want to watch it, just back to kawaks and click "Start Neplay". Once the kaillera client opens up, click on the drop down and change it from "1. P2P" to "3. Playback". You should see your match against your opponent selectable. Click play and you are set!

We can use this to show matches we had against others! This is awesome. Glad to know they added this feature in the mod.

Good times.

Hey Arek, I'd feel more comfortable if it was just three straight (not best out of three). I've told most people that I have qualms about a "best-of" system in the first round, especially when points are the determinant factor.

Um...that's really all I guess.

EDIT: To those observing, I'm advocating more of a baseball-style approach to series, where three battles are played, and all three count equally. Arek's rule above is that if you win 2-0, it's over, but I will not play a point system again (see SFA3 tourney) where a sweep gets you an extra point, without actually earning the point.

i heard not losing does wonders for points

besides like all major fighting games tournies are best of three in the opening pools

That's in bracket play, though. This isn't a bracket, it's to encourage people to play games. We don't do brackets-only because a tournament would never get done that way, we have too many flakes and people who SAY they're in and then go MIA for the rest of the tournament.

• 2 weeks later...