Chrono Trigger Remix

Dignified Pauper

So, using finale, I created a full orchestra.

I wanted to blend end of time into the theme "Chrono Trigger" into the game, and I managed to realize that the key progression works from end of time into CT, but i'm having a hard time figuring out how to get from the Theme of the game back into End of Time.

http://media.putfile.com/Chrono-Trigger-Theme-End-of-Time-Melody

there is a link to the current version.

by the way, this is my first ever remix/arrangement. I'd consider it an arrangement over a remix really because I basically took piano music and arranged it to a full orchestra.

any advice, criticism, help would be great.

The flutes sound really sequenced. The strings sound like pads rather than strings. Also, there's some key-issues in that first part.

When the ct theme comes in, it doesn't have any punch. Listen to what Tyler Heath did with it in Predetermination. That's punch, and it's still fitting with the orchestral feel.

The transition toward the end from one theme to another feels kind'a forced, but that's the only arrangement issue that really bothers me.

Turn off the reverb and work on the sequencing and try out different samples. I can't say what needs to be done, arrangement-wise, as it sounds ok to me, but it's muddy because of the reverb, and some samples need to be tweaked or replaced. Then, when it starts to sound a bit more played rather than sequenced, put the reverb back on, and start tweaking that.

It's not bad, but there's a bunch of production issues to deal with. Good luck.

heya, thanks for the feedback.

I must say, I'm not that great at all, and I doubt finale is the greatest program to use for such an endeavor, but I felt like giving it a whirl. I'm probably going to let this one sit around and just pick up what i learn each time to make newer and newer stuff and hopefully make it better.

thanks again

Nice arrangement, especially the flairs near the end of the piece. However, there seems to be more of a juxtaposition of the two themes rather than an integration, as the title of the thread would suggest. Still, the arrangement has a good level of reinterpretation, though I'd prefer more.

The piece is panned way too far to the right, as that is where your leads and the majority of the instruments are. The overall volume level is too low for my preferences. While Finale is very good sequencer, especially for orchestral and instrumental compositions, it isn't a good tool for sound production, which is clear in the instrumentation. You'll likely need to obtain another program that will allow you to modify the texture and positioning of your instruments to be more organic, as that seems to be the intention.

I really like the expressions used throughout the piece, particularly on the piano. However, the structure of the song is still too similar to the original, going back to the issue of juxtaposition. If you're looking for more of an integration, I would suggest leading into the theme of Chrono Trigger more slowly by introducing the percussion section into the End of Time section and building up from there, i.e. the main melody of Chrono Trigger. If you're looking to follow the advise about adding more of a "punch" to the song, I really suggest that you work on the contrast between the two pieces, such as making one piece gentler or the other more aggressive, or both. Still, I think the use of additional instrumentation would help, specifically in terms of percussion and second chair instruments. I'd particularly like to see more individualization and personalization of the string and horn sections.

As for the problem of getting back to the End of Time theme, I might suggest something a bit cliche'd, but appropriate, such as stripping the piece down to simply the most identifiable melody of Chrono Trigger to be played by a solo instrument in a pianissimo manner that changes back to the End of Time melody and then rebuilds the supporting instrumentation to complete the theme. Though, I'd prefer to see more of an integration of the two themes with sections or elements from each used intermittently. I think it would add a little more variation and personality to the mix.

Good luck.