Wild Arms - Flash Of The Boomerang

MichaelTheCrow

I have the feeling some of you may have been waiting for someone to remix Boomerang Flash, well I thought I'd give remixing a try, I have the feeling it might sound a bit too similar but this is my first real attempt :).

Check it out here: http://www.box.net/shared/vcdfj4kgx7

I'm not completely sure about the overall sound but I'll be working on it and the final thing will most certainly be improved ;). Feedback is more than appreciated :).

Well I do play guitar :), but I've only been playing for 3 years, I know I'm not the best guitarist around or have the best recording equipment, just a USB audio interface device, it's good for me to record my own ideas and such but I feel my recording ability is somewhat very limited. Getting someone else to do a live recording might be a better option, unless I just need to master using the mixing and compression settings well.

As for my sounds I'm only using 3 GM soundfonts (RealFont2.3, FluidR3 GM and General User 1.4), they're all free ones. Sure they'd be more than enough for a standard PSX game but there are far more realistic soundfonts and VST instruments out there. I suppose the soundfonts and vst's that are designed for a specific instrument are usually more realistic, I have a Japanese flute Vst and it is much better then the flutes on my GM soundfonts. But to get what I really need would I be better off using commercial VST and soundfonts?

No no no. You don't need to buy anything. In the remixing section there's a thread called something like "looking for an effect or synth?" And in the first post should be a list of a million free and good soundfonts. Go check it out. Don't ask me about using them because unfortunately my computer seems to be incompatible with them. DO IT! Hahaha.

Well I do play guitar :), but I've only been playing for 3 years, I know I'm not the best guitarist around or have the best recording equipment, just a USB audio interface device, it's good for me to record my own ideas and such but I feel my recording ability is somewhat very limited. Getting someone else to do a live recording might be a better option, unless I just need to master using the mixing and compression settings well.

Really, with a decent USB audio interface and a good software amp there's nothing else you'll need. I've heard your other wip and you have a great guitar tone, you just need to learn how process your guitars properly, but with a starting point like yours, there's really not much need for anything else just yet :)

Thanks guys, I probably wont be working on this for about a week or so, got a busy week. I think I've managed to get a great tone from my guitar so all I need to do really is learn the whole song and then remix it to my liking :).

As for the soundfonts and VST, I've been to that section, just had a rough look, couldn't really do much cause of our download usage :( but when there is enough I'll be looking into specific instruments, I find the General Midi soundfonts vary too much in quality, might have good violin but then the woodwind and brass instruments are shocking, also VST instruments are my other priority, but after messing around with my song after experimenting with range of sounds I'll find my favourites :).

I think the best thing for me to do now is just make a few simple tunes and improve on my overall skills, I know there's a drumming tutorial and probably much more, since I'll be looking for my own style I will not follow 100% but take in the essentials. After experimenting around I'll come back to my WIP's, there are 3 tunes I really want to remix, not sure if starting a 3rd one now would help but maybe I'll strike it good on one of them, sometimes it comes naturally but it gets boring working on a song when I've really had enough for the day. I know it's fairly hard to submit a remix and also have it getting passed by the judges, I've seen how many actually don't make it, so if I ever get one through, it may not be for at least a few months/years. But of course I would have gained a lot of experience during the process :). I think I overdid this post :P but it really has gotten me thinking.