Crescendos and decrescendos?

Hausdog

If you want to make the volume gradually increase, use an automation clip with the mixer and a plugin that has gain in it (I believe there is something called Fruity Gain).

Right click gain knob -> automation clip or event in piano roll edit. There you go.

Now this won't sound exactly like a crescendo because real instruments change their tone as they get louder. You might want to experiment with other effects that atuomate at the same time as the volume like a hint of distortion or various other effects.

for changing the volume of a single note as it's being played, use a portamento to the same note, but with a different velocity.

the previously mentioned method works too, depending on what you wanna do.

This is what I was going to say too. If you're unclear on what this means, look up "slide note" in the FL help documentation.

• 3 weeks later...

So let's say (I've wondered this myself) I have a violin and I want it to hold a note long but with varying intensity (like the player starts out soft with the bow and then begins to hammer it out), would I need to use the plugin to modify its intensity? Just raising and lowering the volume doesn't sound right :-) The affect I'm trying to achieve is just like the violins in the great Forerunner Mix (Alpha) at: http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01659/

Is there a way to do this?! Thanks!

~jace

First of all, I'm assuming you mean you have a violin sound, not a violin or you wouldn't be asking this, second of all, in the sound you linked to i'm not hearing a lot of sustained strings, only quick strokes, so if you could give a time specification in the form of = (the strings at 2:10) it would be a whole lot easier to help. I think you may be confusing vibrato with volume, vibrato is the very slight raising and lowering of a pitch over time, all good violin players use it as it adds a new dimension to the sound, since it's so slight it could be mistaken for volume changes.

• 2 weeks later...