community > control panel button not working

maelkashishi

the title says it

is used to work about fifteen hours ago, but right now I needed to work around going through the >message suboption to get to the panel. I am using Opera 8 and wheneever I try the "control panel" "menu entry" I am asked to log in infinitely often (no I didn't count) even though I could well write in the forums at the same time (and still can, as you see).

I will check again tonight (for me, that is in about eight hours) with a re-set browser and check if the issue persists for me.

Switch browsers and see if you have the same problem. If you don't feel like downloading Firefox because it's so huge, there's a portable Firefox version for people who like to keep it on USB flash drives. Search that out and try to visit OCR from there. If it works, then you'll probably have to look through some options in Opera that control cookies. On FF 1.0.7, my cookies expire very quickly for no particular reason and I am always having to sign in if I leave the site even momentarily.

Anyway, I don't think it's anything more complicated than that. Aside from cookies, check some options that involve auto-completion or memory of usernames/passwords.

i tried that and Ffx works. Nevertheless, Opera 9.24 fails even with the most liberal cookie settings. It does not even ask me to place a new cookie (which I deliberately switched to "notify whenever") thorugh a log-in-log-out cycle. So, ovbiously cookies are not an issues. For the time being, I consider Opera broke at the point.

i tried that and Ffx works. Nevertheless, Opera 9.24 fails even with the most liberal cookie settings. It does not even ask me to place a new cookie (which I deliberately switched to "notify whenever") thorugh a log-in-log-out cycle. So, ovbiously cookies are not an issues. For the time being, I consider Opera broke at the point.

Did you try deleting the cookie and then logging back in to replace it?

yes, I even wiped all my cookies. Actually, I am logged in all the time. Right now I can access everything and apparently do everything that requires login, it's just the singular button "bitchin'" and leading me to the sign-in. Everything else clearly works! That is, I can use my workaround, browse, write in this and the review forum and at any time in between when clicking on the "control panel" button using Opera I am redirected to the sign-in, whereas all works fine with Firefox.

Oddly, when I am on the log-on screen and open the community menu, both of "control panel" and "login/register" are in a highlighted greyed state (but NOT the dark grey that appears while moving over the menu entries, which is still there and works as always). This occurs whenever I choose any one of the two menu entries. In effect it looks like Opera's engine mixes them up and considers them "in use"/"switched on" in a weird way. I have no experience in web programming technology, but I can produce the error as described any time. As I said, it is a mere nuissance (not a nauseance yet:) ) since it can be easily avoided, and I just thought maybe there is some error in the code (whichever one...). I hope it is now clear I am not having cooking issues.