OC ReMix plagiarism: report it here!

SnappleMan

It was probably a bit of an overreaction to drag the guys' parents into it. I can understand being upset because this guy was selling your stuff, but I think he got the message before anyone tattled on him to his mother.

I disagree. If nobody tattled to his mommy, then he probably would've done the same thing again. Thieves online tend to do it again and again with little fear of reprocussions (see: DeviantArt or Newgrounds). Having his family find out probably scared him enough to make him swear off stealing music. Also if it turned out he was some kid or even somebody still living with his parents, they could've done something like removed his internet connection as punishment.

I'm not saying it wasn't a low blow, but it probably has taught him a lesson.

While this guy did a scummy thing and I'm all about handling the situation as quickly and professionally as possible it leaves a bad taste in my mouth his mother was contacted about all this. Seems like a line that is best uncrossed.

Just curious, why do you feel that way? I'm interested in this line of thought.

I wouldn't have gotten the Mom involved, personally. If the family isn't already directly involved, leave them out of it, I say.

I'd think differently if I thought it was a decent enough deterrent, but serial thieves aren't deterred by much. If all these other methods didn't work, why would that? If she didn't know about it the first time, then he'd just have to make new accounts and be sneakier about it.

Let's be realistic: He had no idea who he was stealing from. It could've been anyone. He could've gotten nailed by the DMCA. I'm sure his mom would be thrilled if she got that message. The courts wouldn't say "Well hey, let's not bring his mom into this."

I'm not saying every time someone steals a song we should track down their family members like a collections agency, I'm just saying that there comes a point when users of a certain age become excessively dismissive and you have to protect yourself.

Just curious, why do you feel that way? I'm interested in this line of thought.

Just as a warning, I'm awful at explaining things.

It's for a variety of reasons, I suppose. The fact that it's a sort of a... vigilante justice, for starters. When it comes to that sort of thing it's not black and white. If it's deemed okay to contact an adult's mother if they wrong you, I feel it opens the door to doing the same in other scenarios. Someone is a douche to you on a forum? Take screenshots and send it to their mother! Granted just generally acting like a douche doesn't equate to what this guy did (which was a terrible and horrible thing, don't get me wrong) but I can easily see people justifying that sort of thing if they see something like this happen. And it can get to the point of being ridiculous.

And also, I'm a very private person on the internet, in that I don't throw around my personal information. So that probably has something to do with my opinion. I don't want randoms from the internet seeping into my personal life in any way shape or form unless invited. And this is the third time I've seen that happen as of late.

A relatively well known reviewer on the internet had a major meltdown recently. Lots of people sent well wishes. That's fine. Some other people were trying to get the personal information of his brother so they could personally contact him to "save" this guy. That's not fine. That's crossing boundaries.

I read where someone on DeviantArt had someone find them in real life and just hug them, because they were a fan. It was nothing negative, but the person wasn't thrilled at all, because that is DEFINITELY crossing a boundary. An extreme example, but in line with the boundary thing.

If anyone found a way to contact my mother for any reason, negative or positive, I would be absolutely livid. I get mad enough when someone on the internet gets upset at me over something stupid and proceeds to bother me on other places on the internet they've followed me to.

But that's just me. I'm very much for boundaries between the internet and real life. YMMV, and probably does since I seem to be in the minority. XD

I do want to stress again though, that I don't think what this guy did was right. At all. So I hope no one interprets my opinion as me excusing what he did.

Just as a warning, I'm awful at explaining things.

It's for a variety of reasons, I suppose. The fact that it's a sort of a... vigilante justice, for starters. When it comes to that sort of thing it's not black and white. If it's deemed okay to contact an adult's mother if they wrong you, I feel it opens the door to doing the same in other scenarios. Someone is a douche to you on a forum? Take screenshots and send it to their mother! Granted just generally acting like a douche doesn't equate to what this guy did (which was a terrible and horrible thing, don't get me wrong) but I can easily see people justifying that sort of thing if they see something like this happen. And it can get to the point of being ridiculous.

And also, I'm a very private person on the internet, in that I don't throw around my personal information. So that probably has something to do with my opinion. I don't want randoms from the internet seeping into my personal life in any way shape or form unless invited. And this is the third time I've seen that happen as of late.

A relatively well known reviewer on the internet had a major meltdown recently. Lots of people sent well wishes. That's fine. Some other people were trying to get the personal information of his brother so they could personally contact him to "save" this guy. That's not fine. That's crossing boundaries.

I read where someone on DeviantArt had someone find them in real life and just hug them, because they were a fan. It was nothing negative, but the person wasn't thrilled at all, because that is DEFINITELY crossing a boundary. An extreme example, but in line with the boundary thing.

If anyone found a way to contact my mother for any reason, negative or positive, I would be absolutely livid. I get mad enough when someone on the internet gets upset at me over something stupid and proceeds to bother me on other places on the internet they've followed me to.

But that's just me. I'm very much for boundaries between the internet and real life. YMMV, and probably does since I seem to be in the minority. XD

I do want to stress again though, that I don't think what this guy did was right. At all. So I hope no one interprets my opinion as me excusing what he did.

I'm relatively private online, as I don't want any old person seeing me (unless we agree on it beforehand), so I can get where you're coming from. Honestly, I do feel like sending a message to his mom may have been crossing the line but it's too late for that now. What's done is done.

I, too, would prefer if this didn't set any precedence at all, intentional or unintentional.

I'm relatively private online, as I don't want any old person seeing me (unless we agree on it beforehand), so I can get where you're coming from. Honestly, I do feel like sending a message to his mom may have been crossing the line but it's too late for that now. What's done is done.

I, too, would prefer if this didn't set any precedence at all, intentional or unintentional.

Yeah, I know. And all considered I'm not terribly torn up about it or anything. Was just providing my opinion since BGC asked. ^^

I don't want randoms from the internet seeping into my personal life in any way shape or form unless invited.

In my opinion, stealing and selling other's work is an invitation for things to get personal, I think contacting his mother is a genius move. Him saying 'Oh i really sorry i wont do it again!' doesn't really ensure he is genuinely sorry and won't do it again, granted contacting his mother doesn't guarantee this either, but given how much he wanted to avoid his family's involvement I'd bet they could do a better job of punishing him than any of us could.

This guy brought everything upon himself

Don't do anything so heinous and illegal that your mother would need to be contacted and everything should be ok. Sell my music, I'mma tell your mommy on you. ;-)

I agree with Anti-Syne.

Also he didn't seem particularly sorry at first, considering he was deleting comments on his facebook page and blocking people. I wanted to send him a message in a way that he couldn't block it.

No, I don't plan to do this again unless something like this happens again, and by no means was I representing OCR by doing it. I was representing myself as an artist whose music was being sold.

Edited by Brandon Strader

[...]considering he was deleting comments on his facebook page and blocking people. I wanted to send him a message in a way that he couldn't block it.

So my initial thought of "it's megaclown all over again" wasn't too far off.

i was unaware he was doing this, and i can't deny that in cases like this i suppose going over his head as you did is the only choice.

I think it's brilliant. It's a lot faster and ultimately a lot less damaging than the DMCA approach, and it has the potential of teaching the kid to live so his mom can be proud of what he does, rather than teach him to rip off more obscure artists instead.

That said, it's not a good idea to go after random ppl's personal life unprovoked.

I think it's brilliant. It's a lot faster and ultimately a lot less damaging than the DMCA approach, and it has the potential of teaching the kid to live so his mom can be proud of what he does, rather than teach him to rip off more obscure artists instead.

That said, it's not a good idea to go after random ppl's personal life unprovoked.

I agree with this entirely. Going that route was ultimately effective AND he deserved it. Fuck him. And no one needs to waste time arguing otherwise.

"Oh, but don't tell his mom, he might get in trouble with her, that's too much, that's not right."

This asshole stole over 200 OC ReMixes across 5 different websites, AND sold them on Bandcamp for prices as much as $15. And when he was initially caught, he decided to try and delete and block people from revealing it to keep whatever money he got from it coming. Fuck that, fuck him, and fuck his apology.

I agree with this entirely. Going that route was ultimately effective AND he deserved it. Fuck him. And no one needs to waste time arguing otherwise.

"Oh, but don't tell his mom, he might get in trouble with her, that's too much, that's not right."

This asshole stole over 200 OC ReMixes across 5 different websites, AND sold them on Bandcamp for prices as much as $15. And when he was initially caught, he decided to try and delete and block people from revealing it to keep whatever money he got from it coming. Fuck that, fuck him, and fuck his apology.

Now this is the sort of no mercy treatment I can get behind. :-D