The Dark Knight

Schwaltzvald

First Kung Fu Panda, then Wall-E, then Wanted and now this?. This is the best summer ever.

i don't know about that, summer 2005 still has it beat... although that doesn't have everything to do with what movies came out. but still '05 has got it beat by a little.

we'll see about that after Step Brothers and The Pineapple Express comes out. looking forward to both very much!

I got back from the movie a few hours ago, and I can safely say that Heath Ledger is now the best Joker I've seen thus far.

The movie was beyond amazing.

I'd say the Joker was about as serviceable as Nicholson's one. Which means Ledger did a great job. The only thing was that they just used that 'CREEPY STRINGS' effect whenever Joker was on. A bit one track, but oh well.

First Kung Fu Panda, then Wall-E, then Wanted and now this?. This is the best summer ever.

Add maybe Hellboy and Ironman (though I disliked it) or even Indiana Jones (though I REALLY HATED it) and it's been a really good summer.

I absolutely hate shallow CG cartoons with a passion, but Wall-E and Kung Fu Panda were just amazing. I still say Kung Fu Panda is pound-for-pound the most entertaining movie of the summer personally.

As for the screening of Batman itself, I nearly got arrested for yelling down a bunch of brats to shut the hell up. I might seriously never go to movies in the daytime, ever.

I can't wait for this to come out on Bluray. on Tuesday i had watched the first 6 minutes of TDK on bluray because it comes with Batman Begins. It looks really amazing that when i first say the opening of the city in the movie I was like "yuck!". Though i suppose i could go see it in IMAX next.

Wow, Health Ledger..just, wow.

I must go see this again asap.

Although what was with the mayor wearing eyeliner??

Haha, I clearly heard several "eyeliner, wtf?" comments from the people in my theater during the mayor's close ups.

OH. I'm pretty sure the whole "afraid to get their hands dirty" line was a nod to The Prestige. Since ya know, Christian Bale and Michael Caine both played awesome roles in that movie too.

I guess I was the only one largely unimpressed. It exceeded my expectations, which were admittedly not very high, but it had lots of problems. Ledger was every bit the Joker they say he was though.

I think the main issue I had with the movie is that it tries to pretend it's in the real-world but then throws the real-world conventions out the window whenever it suits them, which is something more than a few movies have been doing lately.

Also, this movie spends an enormous amount of time trying to build suspense towards painfully obvious conclusions. It's totally anti-climactic.

The magic trick was worth the price of admission though, if for no other reason than it actually encapsulates the whole movie's theme in one three minute sequence.

What quality are theater projections at? I never really looked closely but I always just assumed it was 1080p. Is it actually 720p or something?

Depends squarely on the film used and how it's manipulated. I don't know enough about it but the projectors just project whatever light it sees. However according to the internets its digital equivalent can usually be 4000xsomething,

obviously higher than 1920x1200. On IMAX, according to wikipedia they use HUGE film, whose digital equivalent resolution can reach 10000 x 7000.

And they have to do the Riddler next right? I mean theyve done Scarecrow, Ras Al Gool or whatever, the Joker, and I-wont-ruin-it-for-whoever-hasnt-seen-it-yet. Now theres just the Penguin and the Riddler left, plus some small fries.

Hmm, who to play the penguin? Samuel L Jackson, thats who.

1st Par: He was a major part of the viral ad campaign, he's hardly classified as a spoiler

2nd Par: Hell no. The Penguin was white. Samuel L isn't. DeVito was brilliant as him, and I'd nearly give him another go at it.

Right. Saw it Wednesday night at an employee screening (thanks, roomie,) and again Thursday night at a midnight showing. Suffice it to say, I loved it. Not quite perfect, but pretty close. On scope and intention alone, I really salute the Nolans. Of course it helps to have such a competent cast, and what I consider the best single acting job I have ever seen in Ledger's Joker.

Thoughts on the next one, guys? Joker didn't die, so maybe they meant to have him back for the sequel. Good luck there. I think an adaptation of Knightfall could be sweet, or maybe an extended version of Heart of Ice (the Mr. Freeze genesis story on the Animated Series.)

Watchmen looks promising. They showed a lot of the more action-oriented scenes in the trailer, but what dialogue they had was verbatim, so I have some high hopes. Watchmen is my favorite comic, and one of my favorite books period, so it better kick ass.

I think the main issue I had with the movie is that it tries to pretend it's in the real-world but then throws the real-world conventions out the window whenever it suits them, which is something more than a few movies have been doing lately.

It's a fucking superhero movie you twat

Also, this movie spends an enormous amount of time trying to build suspense towards painfully obvious conclusions. It's totally anti-climactic.

Yeah okay the movie isn't very good because somebody reads comics and stuff yeah okay

You know I am all for movie criticism and all that but everyone who has said they are unimpressed with this movie has been a completely fucktard so far

Bleck is going to totally freak over this, but I don't care.

I didn't think it it was all that great. It was alright, I might watch it again when it's on TV... it might be something I'd rent later on.

It wasn't the awesomest thing I've ever seen. Decent, yes. Bestest ever, no.

And now come the insults. And suddenly, opinions don't matter, because mine goes against the popular opinion.

No, everyone has the right to their own opinion (however stupid it may be) - it's when you try to back it up with bullshit that pisses me off.

The Damned says he didn't like it. Fine, whatever.

Lotd422 says he didn't like it because of whatever ridiculous reasons. Not fine, not whatever.

The ridiculous reasons are the problem.

No, everyone has the right to their own opinion (however stupid it may be) - it's when you try to back it up with bullshit that pisses me off.

Lotd422 says he didn't like it because of whatever ridiculous reasons. Not fine, not whatever.

I guarantee you will live a happier life if you can manage to let go and not be bothered by what people say on the internet.

This was probably the best movie I've seen in years. Definitely outdoes the last one.

A better question is what the fuck is with eyeliner in general

I think that fucker wears eyeliner in every single movie/show he's in (Lost City, Cane, Lost, Smoking Aces) and it's almost always out of place.

My only gripe with the movie, and a little one at that, was the seemingly pointless inclusion of Scarecrow at the beginning. His behavior made no sense, and it was a waste of a decent character/actor.

It's a fucking superhero movie you twat

Yeah okay the movie isn't very good because somebody reads comics and stuff yeah okay

You know I am all for movie criticism and all that but everyone who has said they are unimpressed with this movie has been a completely fucktard so far

Awww, why so serious?

The only thing ridiculous here is your reaction. You'd rather I popped in and went "this is teh suxx0rs" than doing everyone the courtesy of at least explaining why I disagreed with the majority opinion.

It's an interpretation of Batman where the main focus is on taking out the super-hero mythology in favor of the facts, which is cool and interesting. The problem is if you're going to walk that line where this is a real guy in the real world who has elements of the fantastical to him, then you can't up and toss out the real world whenever you need an out for the scene. Even the ending is contrived to allow Gordon to slip the title into his final monologue.

I don't read comics with any frequency, so that had nothing to do with my finding the movie wholly predictable either. You can't spend 20 minutes building up tension towards a twist that everyone including the mentally handicapped guy in front of me wearing the oversized toy sunglasses knew was coming a half hour before it finally got there.

So no, I didn't walk out of the theater with a stain on my crotch shouting "THAT WUZ THE BEST MOVIE EVAR", but I did point out several things that the movie did really well. That makes it in my opinion a decent movie, above average for comic book movies, and that's all.

Not liking something as much as another person doesn't mean not liking it at all. I even said I would watch it again sometime.

SPOILER WARNING

And Lotd2242's reasons for finding it not his tastes are, quite frankly, valid. I found the way the motorbike came out of the Tumbler to be a reach. All the way through the movie until that point, I never had to go into any level of suspension of disbelief. But once I saw that bike pop out of the side, it popped that nice little bubble that had been there since the movie started. If Batman had instead salvaged parts from it and made the bike as a substitute later on, that would have not only been awesome as hell, but entirely plausible.

I know this is Batman and all, but since this series takes its realism and serious aspects to heart, this and a few other scenes were just a little too much. I can see Joker sticking bombs in people, I can see him wearing a nurse uniform to get into the hospital. That makes sense. He's crazy. But other parts juuuust creep over the line to overboard.

But yes, I think we can all agree that pencil trick was perhaps the single best part of the entire film.