The Dark Knight

Schwaltzvald

I don't recall the source on this info, so take it with a grain of salt, but I'd heard the Nolan wanted some time before starting on a third movie. Supposedly, he put every single idea he had into this movie and wants time for new ideas to come.

Again, hearsay. After Dark Knight, I whole-heartedly trust Nolan to bring us a worthy third film (or not, as the case may be).

I don't recall the source on this info, so take it with a grain of salt, but I'd heard the Nolan wanted some time before starting on a third movie. Supposedly, he put every single idea he had into this movie and wants time for new ideas to come.

Again, hearsay. After Dark Knight, I whole-heartedly trust Nolan to bring us a worthy third film (or not, as the case may be).

I agree, but let's not forget that David Goyer has been pretty instrumental in writing these two movies. It's not just Nolan (and his brother).

except you know he died

I don't know that he died. All I know is that they had a service for Harvey Dent. Batman survived the fall without a scratch. I mean, if a guy with burns on 50% of his body and a hole in the side of his face can be up and about playing vigilante and talking without so much as a lisp, I think he can survive a little drop.

Yet his suit is burned half and half and it was also in the same pool of flammable liquid which caused his face to ignite. It is reasonable to conclude he was half-burned in keeping with the Two-Face motif.

So you're saying Batman is hiding air-bags in his suit?

Yet his suit is burned half and half and it was also in the same pool of flammable liquid which caused his face to ignite. It is reasonable to conclude he was half-burned in keeping with the Two-Face motif.

first of all, I may not be entirely sure but I do not remember him wearing a at the very least the coat to the suit

second of all, if that is the case, why did the suit and tie burn exactly right down the middle

and third, why did the suit not just become like any other clothing that has been burned - i.e a smoldering pile of nothing

So you're saying Batman is hiding air-bags in his suit?

at the very least something to cushion his fall especially since he glides around very high a lot

You're right it was not, now that I'm watching the clip of him in the bar. His hand looks clean. But Dent's response is also "half" when the guy says he thought he was dead.

It would also make sense that his hand was out of the flammable liquid based on the position he's in when he falls over, and thus would not have suffered the same 3rd degree burns as the rest of him.

first of all, I may not be entirely sure but I do not remember him wearing a at the very least the coat to the suit

second of all, if that is the case, why did the suit and tie burn exactly right down the middle

and third, why did the suit not just become like any other clothing that has been burned - i.e a smoldering pile of nothing

Because then he couldn't walk around in a half suit of course.

at the very least something to cushion his fall especially since he glides around very high a lot

It would need to be an airbag or some kind of gel-pack, neither of which is mentioned when they're talking earlier about how the new suit is actually weaker for sacrificing weight for mobility.

The blueprint designs were only on the screen for a moment and too small to see so it would be hard to tell either way, but when it comes out on DVD we can pause it and find out exactly what it is packing.

Again though, with the rest of him only his clothing was soaked. It makes to assume that whilst his clothes, on fire, were easy enough to simply removes, the fire on his face was not so simple.

The fire would be enough for first to second degree burns by the time they got it off. But even if we concede that everything below the neck was golden, his face is burned down to the jawbone from cheek to joint. They'd have to put him out to keep him from dying of shock. That he can withstand the pain and run around chatting up dirty cops is a big enough stretch that I'd find the idea of a short fall not killing him to be more plausible.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that the movie asks me to accept as a matter of suspension of disbelief that a burn victim with that severity of burns is out and about like Dent is. That means he's got something going for him, pure rage if you like, that is keeping him from spending the rest of the movie either A: unconscious or B: screaming in agony in a hospital bed.

If that's the case, then that same thing should protect him from a mere what, two-story? fall, particularly if the protagonist, who as far as we are told is not wearing a helmet or padding, can land right next to him and get up and run off totally uninjured.

I'm also saying that I find the idea of him surviving a fall like that more plausible in general than running around the city with half of his face burned off.

While I expect Dent really is just dead, something about the whole death and funeral lacked closure. But, then, if Nolan wanted him alive for the third film, I would think he would provide some small hint that Two Face was still around. Having him just show up in film three alive would just feel a bit cheesy.

Bart: "Ralph! I thought you were dead!"

Ralph: "Nope."

I want him alive, and I don't.

I Do: Because the character has so much potential that I don't think was truly brought to the forefront. The idea of a genuinely good guy being so emotionally and mentally scarred he becomes corrupted appeals to me much more than a good guy who's simply schizophrenic. This rendition has the potential to remake the character into something more.

I Don't: After having all the shyte go down, it's almost safe to say Dent's/Two-Face's rage focal is "resolved" to a point. His rage and subsequent actions were due to Rachel's death and his need for brutal vengeance. After that, what exactly would his motivation for continuing to be a dark vigilante be? You don't want to stretch the Rachel dying thing too thin....but you also don't want Two-Face devolving into a petty villian who robs banks or the like. I'd rather see him die with the dignity he had at the end of TDK than see him return in a monotonous role.

Great movie. There were a few problems though:

Spoilers below!

The beginning was a bit disjointed and did not flow well. Up until they caught Joker, it was kind of hard to keep track of all the characters. They used everyone's names like we should know them all, when theres tons of cops, mobsters, mob leaders, civilians, and politicians all with names. Some parts were kind of awkward, like when Batman falls off his bike. It's like, what? You're Batman. Do a cool trick. But after they caught Joker it was awesome.

Another thing that could've been a bit better was Two-Face's development. I thought it was a good idea for him to go corrupt and crazy, but they didn't really convince us enough that he could turn that way. I mean, his fiance died and his face is half burnt, but he totally shifts the blame from Joker to all the good guys, which doesn't make much sense. He even has the chance to shoot Joker. Then he goes emo repeatedly asking his victims the same question, "Have you ever talked to your fiance right before she died?" or something. It's like, yeah we get it. You had a really bad day. Now if they focused on developing how Rachel girl was supposed to be saved instead, and that it really was a giant unforgivable mistake (which it wasn't), then it'd make much more sense and we would have some compassion for him.

One last thing: why does Batman have to take the blame for the murders? Why don't they just blame it on Joker?

Great movie. There were a few problems though:

Spoilers below!

The beginning was a bit disjointed and did not flow well. Up until they caught Joker

The beginning was the only part I didn't like, especially him going to Hong Kong. Don't get me wrong that "SKY HOOK" thing was badass but it was just to lengthy up until they caught the joker.

I still loved the movie though. Got my wife on the bandwagon and she wants to go this Sunday.

If they had stayed consistent with the framework of the real-world they developed, it would've played out like this instead:

Dent spends two to three months in the hospital undergoing painful reconstructive surgery, with nothing to do but sit and think about that moment and the horribly scarred man he has become until his mind just snaps. As he does he realizes that it's Batman who failed to help Rachael, Batman who the Joker was after, Batman who didn't reveal himself and end the madness. And with that he decides to declare war on Batman.

Not only would that have made more sense, it would've been so much better of a character development. The man so willing to defend Batman that he would offer himself up as bait instead of forcing the real Batman to unmask does a complete 180 and begins a campaign to kill him, possibly even coming around to the Joker's side now that he's off the deep end.

pretty sure the Joker blew up that hospital

And within the framework they established, Dent would've been the first one out. Probably shipped off to Metropolis under the watchful gaze of Superman.

That was my problem with the movie. So many convenient coincidences to get them out of a writing jam. When the Joker is on the screen, I didn't care because he was captivating in a psychotic way. The rest of the time...

So, after reading through this thread (well, a majority of the pages) I've concluded that, I'm one of the few people that thought the Joker was friggin hilarious. Heath played it with so much wrecklessness & glee, I couldn't help but enjoy every moment spent with him. Also, his reasoning was pretty spot on. Especially the conversation about a truck full of soldiers versus little old ladies.

Two Face, I found that entire arc captivating, especially when Batman saved him instead of Rachel. It was awesome, & gave weight to what happens in the charred building.

All in all, one of the best movies I've seen this century. The third movie, should they ever make it, is set up so perfect. You know Batman has to die in this "realistic" universe they set up.