The Dark Knight

Schwaltzvald

I think Nicholson did a better job of creating a comic book character. His Joker is more in tune with the sort of whackjob that runs around pulling crimes like they're pranks on the establishment.

Ledger's Joker is just a regular genius psychopath. He plays a great one, no question there, but in terms of capturing the feel of the comic book Joker I don't think he comes nearly as close to it as Nicholson did.

I'm going to agree with l-n-j-i-n and Lotd, Ledger played an awesome villain, but I never felt I was watching The Joker through most of the movie. When that comes up, everyone I talk to immediately references the pencil trick.

Yes, no one is going to forget that moment, now name another Joker moment. There were a few, but we should have seen gags like that and off the wall hysterical laughing throughout the movie if it was Joker. They were sparse enough to feel like a reminder to whom the villain was supposed to be.

Joker, no matter how serious and evil he is portrayed, has a level of corniness to his madness inherent in being The Joker, who was supposedly once a failed comedian. Nolan's serious world lost that touch.

And on a side note to those ragging on Tim Burton's Batman, remember that it too was a phenomenon, was the first film to break $100 million in it's first ten days of release, and is the highest grossing DC film ever, and when Dark Knight passes it (an inevitable fact at this point) it will still be there above Begins.

that sounds good enough for me and actually i dont care if its current or old i was just intimidated by the limitless amount of stuff that is available both in stores and in torrents

and yes i think ill actually be purchasing these!

that sounds good enough for me and actually i dont care if its current or old i was just intimidated by the limitless amount of stuff that is available both in stores and in torrents

and yes i think ill actually be purchasing these!

Heh, that's how I feel since I don't konw that much about the comics myself.

yeah there have been many times in the past that ive dled large quantities of comics but never bothered to read them but then there have been times when ive bought a few and i always read them then

i need a physical copy of it to care

i think its time to make a trip to midtown comics

There are three main Bat-titles that DC publishes right now: Batman, Detective Comics, and Batman Confidential.

*snip*

I might also recommend The Long Halloween. It's pretty self-contained, and it might be especially interesting right after watching TDK. Hopefully it'll whet your appetite enough to go from there.

I'm going to agree with l-n-j-i-n and Lotd' date=' Ledger played an awesome villain, but I never felt I was watching The Joker through most of the movie. When that comes up, everyone I talk to immediately references the pencil trick.

Yes, no one is going to forget that moment, now name another Joker moment. [/quote']

Marching out of the hospital in a nurse's outfit as it all blows to hell, and then stopping as if a "oh, well lookitthat".

Want some more?

"Hiii..."

"I'm, I'm, I'm like a dog chasing cars. I, I wouldn't know what to do with it if I caught it!"

The iconic "Let's put a smile on that face!" and "Why so serious?" lines are pretty standard Joker fare too, just with a slightly darker spin this time around.

Someone mentioned on another board that it would've been hilarious if the copycat turned out to be Keaton. I agree. :D

Marching out of the hospital in a nurse's outfit as it all blows to hell, and then stopping as if a "oh, well lookitthat".

Want some more?

It was more like him turning around after half of the explosions, smacking the remote he had, and was all "Huh, that's it? I coulda sworn I'd...."

Then the rest goes off and he hightails it outta there...in high heels.

Fucking priceless. Best scene in the movie for me.

Wow, you actually missed the joke.

I didn't. Actually the part about Joker's dad was a half truth, much like a lot of the stuff Ledger's Joker talked about. I guess that works as irony in itself and I think it's good.

As for the versions of Joker, I think the reason why people can't see the similarity for much of the classical versions of Joker with Ledger is because the Ledger Joker is a much newer, more openly threatening version of the Joker. The Joker for decades, as a crazed mass murderer he was, was a smooth villain. Almost classical in how he was the antithesis to Batman. Really, I don't think one can make too big of a fuss on which Joker is better. Because both Nicholson and Ledger did GREAT Jokers on the types of Jokers they aimed to do.

Who's being snide? You don't have to take offense every time somebody makes a quip.

Yeah, because it's you who decides how snide it sounded right? No need to be defensive there. Hurrrrrrr

And on a side note to those ragging on Tim Burton's Batman' date=' remember that it too was a phenomenon, was the first film to break $100 million in it's first ten days of release, and is the highest grossing DC film ever, and when Dark Knight passes it (an inevitable fact at this point) it will still be there above Begins.[/quote']

That reminds me, how because the Dark Knight is such a good Batman film, now people are on to ragging the 89 version. Like *certain people in this very thread* that does it with reckless abandon and with very little objective reasoning. For me, the original Batman 89 and Dark Knight will be my favorites. Batman Returns had a lot of good things going for it, but felt a bit off base. Batman Forever went totally off the cuff with Jim Carrey (though I did like his Riddler, Schumacher didn't let anything fun happen there). Batman & Robin is self explanatory since the higher-ups wanted a family film and totally messed around with the darker 'Dark Knight' ideology of Batman. And personally, I never liked Batman Begins and I probably never will. I think the Dark Knight deserves a lot of credit for improving vastly on Batman Begins and living up to the Batman film legacy of the 89 Batman (replete with the rubber suit!).

I almost have to laugh any time people totally bash one Batman movie to make a point for the other. What about those people who like both? Especially since both of them were aiming for totally different things. And like Poke said, the 89 Batman basically kickstarted the idea of a serious Batman movie. By today's standards it may not seem as dour, but it got the trend going. And Nekofrog constantly ragging on how bad the 89 one is, but it clearly was going for the feel of the more classical Batman comics without overstepping on the corniness. And again, Dark Knight is more like the newer Batman comics. How can you really argue all that without steeping so hard in pure subjectivity?

The movie was awesome.

But I was distracted throughout once I saw the trailer for the watchmen.

I had a fangasm as soon as I realized what the trailer was.

I had the same thing happen to me. The first time I saw Dark Knight was at an advanced screening, so the only trailers we got were for Terminator Salvation and some forgettable Matt Damon movie. The second time we saw it was in IMAX opening night. We got the Watchmen trailer, and my friend and I were just so satisfied, it wouldn't have mattered if we saw The Dark Knight again or not.

I didn't. Actually the part about Joker's dad was a half truth, much like a lot of the stuff Ledger's Joker talked about. I guess that works as irony in itself and I think it's good.

Joker tailored each story to his audience. If he was telling it to an old man, he said it was his dad. If it was a pretty woman, he'd say it was his wife. I'm sure if he say a little boy, he'd say he got in an accident with this son. None of them are true. If Joker has a past, he'd prefer it to be multiple choice.