The Dark Knight

Schwaltzvald

i saw the movie twice and didn't see any such visual cue.

i already admitted that i should've pieced it together before, so chill out sourpuss.

I've seen the movie six times and I can pretty much remember exactly what happens

also I am pretty sure you admitted no such thing so just stop posting about it thanks

Thank you for saying that. Yes, as great as the movie was, the numbers does not lie. People are watching it for a lot of reasons and it IS a Batman movie. People are going to watch it on the hype and the name alone. I think it's fair to say that most of the audience probably aren't even comicbook fans or would normally would watch it had this movie not get the buzz (for good or bad reasons) and the rave it got.

......... what? That's what tongue-in-cheek means. Everything Joker does, you can't take them at face value since they're always threatening and more importantly, ironic.

Ironic? ROFL! He is in no way ironic. All of his destruction and death are not "ironic" as everything that happened happened the way he wanted it to due to trickery and pure insanity. Nothing was "ironic". But post another paragraph backpedaling.

also I am pretty sure you admitted no such thing so just stop posting about it thanks

--

a bit out there, yeah. i also never saw the first movie and didn't know how close he was to dawes or how committed he would be to saving her.

that, and gordon showing up at the other place really should've tipped me off.

i'm just dumb

just settle down there, champ.

It's because they all got the left side of their respective heads burnt.

Personally, I thought the movie was...

*coin lands with burned side up*

...full of plot holes and uninspired dialog and action. The Joker wasn't scary or funny, the chase scene made no sense at all, and there was no tension whatsoever due to the bad acting of all the main characters. Except for Two-Face and his pleasing coin-tossery - what an admirable guy!

Ironic? ROFL! He is in no way ironic. All of his destruction and death are not "ironic" as everything that happened happened the way he wanted it to due to trickery and pure insanity. Nothing was "ironic". But post another paragraph backpedaling.

The irony is how he basically makes a mockery of all human life and law and order he comes across. We don't really get a reasoning for why he does it and he most definitely is insane (did I ever disagree?), but I think that's basically the lore of the Joker throughout. The way he taunts Batman and becomes a counter to all the order and justice Batman tries to dish out, I think that was one of the central themes of the whole movie. Everything he says or acts upon as a form of joke is basically a no laughing matter for everyone else.

The irony is how he basically makes a mockery of all human life and law and order he comes across.
i·ro·ny

1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

2.Literature.

a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.

The Joker is established early on as a sociopath. If we're going to go by the definition of irony than there is nothing ironic about the Joker in this film. If you want, we can make up a different meaning for the word. Maybe it can mean "likes candy."

1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning: the irony of her reply, “How nice!” when I said I had to work all weekend.

2.Literature.

a technique of indicating, as through character or plot development, an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated.

^ probably that part

Neither Joker nor the movie did anything to convey or indicate anything opposite of what he said when he told him the addresses...it was just a straight-up lie. You don't say someone's being ironic when they lie.

What's ironic is when Batman demands that Joker "let her go." He clearly meant the opposite of what he actually said.

Jesus Christ what are you people arguing about???

In other news is Dent definitely, definitely dead? I'm hearing differing voices on this one. Also I waited through the credits to see a scene with Dent alive (I BAWWWWWWed when I didn't see anything)

^ probably that part

Neither Joker nor the movie did anything to convey or indicate anything opposite of what he said when he told him the addresses...it was just a straight-up lie. You don't say someone's being ironic when they lie.

What's ironic is when Batman demands that Joker "let her go." He clearly meant the opposite of what he actually said.

Missing the whole point why I point out the irony. In that specific case, you're right. But in terms of Joker as an antithesis to Batman, to his very jokes which basically aren't funny to every one of his victims via his dark, ironic sense of humor, those are totally different ideas. Seriously, how is this hard to comprehend? And really, this is an argument? Who said this was an argument? So I'm saying one thing and if someone disagrees, then that's that. Don't spin it off into something that wasn't even implied originally. Apparently some people can't help but put everything I say into some sort of a subversive rant while I'm only putting face value into it all. Let me say "Joker is a bad guy". And we'll see a dozen raving posts about why that is false. "Batman is a good guy". Have fun.

You were very clearly referring to that specific scene as "tongue-in-cheek," so I debated your word usage you on that specific scene...at what point did I "miss the whole point"? I'm not the one who spun things off here...even though I don't think word definitions are usually something you can just agree to disagree on, I was fine with leaving it at the initial correction. But you decided to argue about it, and when other people jumped in, you went off on some tangent about Joker as an antithesis to Batman, which nobody was talking about in the first place. So much for "that's that."

You rants aren't subversive, they're just wrong sometimes. Which is fine, we're all wrong at one point or another, but you should expect to be called out on it when you are.