Firsts in video games

The Pezman

Descent was the first fully 3D FPS. It not only had 3D models for each player and enemy robot, but the levels themselves used all three dimensions in their layout. Caves and tunnels ran in every direction and there was often no real "up".

If you're going to say that Quake did it first, Descent came out over a year before (Feb 28th, 1995 to June 26th 1996)

Descent was the first fully 3D FPS. It not only had 3D models for each player and enemy robot, but the levels themselves used all three dimensions in their layout. Caves and tunnels ran in every direction and there was often no real "up".

If you're going to say that Quake did it first, Descent came out over a year before (Feb 28th, 1995 to June 26th 1996)

Up was where the lights where. :D

FF7 - The first game to have swear words in the text. (Barret, I LOVE you!)

Well, I know for certain that FF7 wasn't the first game to swear. Exile for the Genesis beat it by quite a few years in 1991. It has words like "Damn" and "Ass" in it. Might not be the F-bomb or whatever, but for console gaming in the early 90s, that's quite a step up.

I'm sure there were games before Exile that used at least "Damn", or "Hell".

So let's list the games (as far as you know) which debut some element for the first time. I was inspired to make this thread after playing Sam & Max 104: Abe Lincoln Must Die! today, where I saw this (also check out my thread in offtop). Pretty sure it's the

I hope Sam and Max come to Wii Ware. I've never played any of their games, but from that video it looks like something I'd enjoy.

Hmm... let's see. People often point to Donkey Kong as the first game with a story. And, of course, we can always point to the first video game ever, except apparently that honor is up for grabs. I had always thought it was Spacewar! personally.

Well, I know for certain that FF7 wasn't the first game to swear. Exile for the Genesis beat it by quite a few years in 1991. It has words like "Damn" and "Ass" in it. Might not be the F-bomb or whatever, but for console gaming in the early 90s, that's quite a step up.

I'm sure there were games before Exile that used at least "Damn", or "Hell".

If I'm not mistaken they used one swear word at the end of the original Bionic Commando, although I don't remember what it was.

If anyone has played the Tex Murphy games, I'm pretty sure that was the first time I saw FMV and spoken dialogue in a game.

I think Metroid takes the first Female Protaganist award.

Not true.

While many sports game had female athletes, Custer's Revenge, after the original company closed, was remade twice. And in one case the scenario was different, you were the native woman, had to dodge bullets instead of arrows, and then reached Custer's boner, the goal of the game.