Live-Action Speed Racer?

Hy Bound

The rumor has been flying around for years now, so I guess they finally went ahead and did it.

Class, here is an example of how Hollywood can take an idea, and inject pointless action, needless pumping music, and clichéd dialog into it, and ruin the original idea completely. For anyone that has ever wondered what it is like to see a story physically suffer, or even die from the torture writers can inflict it with... now you know.

I don't really see how it looks horrible. It's certainly not going to be a masterpiece, but to me, it seems like all the complaints mentioned in the thread thus far are things that are being done that way on purpose. Seriously, has anyone that's posted even watched Speed Racer before? It's one of the most ridiculous shows ever, and I think the direction they're going with it is a lot better than if they were to try and do something "serious".

Now, if the complaint is that the movie's being made in the first place, that I can understand, especially after all this Garfield, Underdog, and Alvin and the Chipmunks re-imaginings. For what it's worth though, I think it's safe to say that Speed Racer will at least be better than that Fat Albert movie from a few years back, if only for John Goodman playing Pops.

I remember hearing about this back when Hype Williams (he of the eye-popping hip-hop music videos) was going to direct.

Now that would have been cool. :|

I don't know, I second Dopple Boppler and am happy that they're not doing it "serious." It looks "Tron"-like actually.

Eh. I'm skeptical, but it looks like it could have potential. I liked what I saw in the trailer, but who knows how a feature length film will play out.

I'm glad the Wachowski's are making it though. If anyone's going to do Speed Racer right, it's going to be them. This looks like another movie I'm going to have to see before I can pass judgment on.

I'm way more excited for the new Star Trek to be made by the Lost creator and features Syler from Heroes as Spock. That sounds like a line of a joke, but I'm sold already.

A mysterious ship that disappears before we could confirm its origin? Is that a Klingon fighter with five wings? That isn't regulation! Who could be manning it? What is Bones hiding in the medical lab? Flashback flashforward

TO BE CONTINUED IN STAR TREK 2: REALM OF ENDLESS ENIGMA

I do not know how I feel about this.

It's like looking at it, proof that directly copying something and turning it live action (in Hollywood) is a bad idea... but at the same time, I'm intrigued and kind of want to see it because it incapsulates all that Speed Racer classic goodness....

everything looks so overtly over the top, but it almost just looks like the style of the entire film, which... is... kind of... crazy.

I... I don't know how I feel... I'm having a break down....

Live... action... DBZ...? This just has to be a joke. I pray that it is.

Hate to kill your prayers, but it's true. I've seen some pics from it and I don't know.

Here are the cast breakdown so far.

Justin Chatwin - Goku

James Marsters - Piccolo

Jamie Chung - Chi Chi

Emmy Rossum - Bulma

Eriko Tamura - Mai

Joon Park - Yamcha

If you don't know these people then look em up on the web.

More cast will be assigned as production continues.

The film will directed by James Wong and (here's the silver lining, if this counts for anything) produced by Stephen Chow.

As far as the Speed Racer movie is concerned, I think they are staying true to the overall theme of the original including the over-the-top Dialog.

As far as the kids in the trunk, that was a staple of the show when the lil kid & the monkey sneak in & get themselves in trouble.

See, my problem with the movie thus far is that the basic aesthetic of it looks WAY too close to the type of dreck that Spy Kids and Sharkboy and Lavagirl is. I didn't really have a problem with the dialog; thats just what speed racer was (i mean Dexter's Lab even made a parody episode of it with that same kind of crazy-ass dialogue). I'm just afraid its going to look way too SFX driven with the none-too-good SFX such as the crap kids movies it models its visuals around that i just mentioned.

I heard Dragon Ball was orginally going to be directed by the guy who directed Kung Fu Hustle. That would've been a winner. Oh well, at least they picked a good actor for Bulma imo.

Edit: Kung Fu Hustle guy is producing. I'm cool with that. The girl who is playing Bulma isn't listed on imdb though. She was mentioned on IGN the other day (some goofy white girl who looks perfect for the part).