OCR00881 - A Boy and His Blob "Cyborg Blobby"

Disco Dan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Even when one doesn't know this one was created (at least partially) using .exe and .txt files it still sounds pretty good while still staying pretty close to the original source material (yes, I was one of those who owned the game) which was really not too bad (if absurdly repetitive). The static and other random noises really seem to fit well. Overall, nice one Mazedude!

• 1 year later...

The synths' textures are so oddball - sharp-edged, crackly, beeping, rubbery, what have you - that their collective bursts of energy are like confetti showers. Those bursts blow away creepy-spelunky moments like 1:26 - 1:30 (love that chipper synth that returns from the outset) as if to reiterate the party atmosphere. And that atmosphere gets packed to the next level when the drums at 2:06 enter. All the while, leads trade off between staccato notes and tenuto/pitch-bent notes. In the latter, the source's emotive inflections come to fruition, like when the mood turns starkly serious at 0:37 - 0:40 before conceding to optimism. So for all its chaos, Cyborg Blobby has plenty of interconnecting strengths.

In the end, the Blob bids the boy farewell as it turns into a Root Beer rocket and gently jets away into the night sky. Really puts things in perspective. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Really inspired stuff, and it's fun and catchy. Some of the breakdowns could have stood be EQ'ed slightly, but the spirit of adventure is very much alive in this track, and overall I really enjoyed it.

The arrangement is super solid, with a ton of cool stuff going on at all times, and some excellent cross-panned glissando's and white noise percussion. I think Polo has the right idea describing it as musical confetti. Really fun stuff, I love it. :-)

• 1 month later...

Never heard of this game before, but I've just got to say that this is pretty awesome. I'm not at all put off by the somewhat abrasive sounds chosen - rather, they make for a unique and interesting tonal palette, I think. I had a lot of fun with this one. :nicework:

(Also, I just looked up the soundtrack for this game. God, this is obnoxious :< )

• 3 months later...

Experimentation is fun. :D I actually tried a few non-audio samples back in my tracker days, before I had any real music skill. The results were never this good (no skill).

It has a bit of a chippy sound but takes it to another level with the oddball samples. The result is a more distortive and glitchy sound that adds to an already high level of quirk. The game with the worst music? The remix gives no indication of that. 8 years since posted, and it doesn't sound bad at all. A successful experiment, a fun mix. :D

• 1 year later...

I just want to say that after all this time, this remains one of my favorite mixes on this site. Maybe because it's so awesome compared to its obnoxious originator, maybe because I like the rough, raw sounds put in the music, maybe because for me, it just works. It's upbeat, catchy, just the right tempo to do basically -anything- to... I love it. I put it on mix CDs, for god's sake.

I wish I could hug this remix.

• 6 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00881 - A Boy and His Blob "Cyborg Blobby"
  • 2 years later...

can't believe i never commented on this piece.

i might compile a double CD set sometime with essential OCR classics from my time. cyborg blobby would have a definite spot on there. hugely creative, an infectious sound palette used to great effect, resulting in impossible levels of catchy-NES.

i remember this one exploding on my senses back then, and raising awareness of how neat this site really is.

hey mazedude, since you reacted to my post, i wanted to ask you something: have you ever put the original doom.wad into your tracker as a sound? because i remember doing this, and it produced a very distinctly pitched, a couple seconds long dark synth sound. i found this really astonishing and unlikely back then - and it should be reproducable. wanna try it?

• 1 year later...

I really like the - I guess I would call it the "arrangement."
But I don't like the instruments.
It's a great tune, and I love the way it explores the melodies and moves through various "feels" behind those melodies.  But about half of these chiptune sounds just come out really poorly and are grating to my ears.
I'd love to hear this as a different version that replaces the instruments.