OCR01658 - Final Fantasy VII "A Life Without Parole"

djpretzel

One of my favorite remixes in Voices of the Lifestream. As I mentioned in my review, the piano solo really conveys a cinematic vibe compared to the original track. I can easily listen to this remix playing during a cut-scene.

Love the progression of the remix overall. Goes from mellow to complex to mellow again in smooth transitions.

Dhsu does music when he's not posting on the forums? Wicked!

Seriously though, this is a very moody remix. The thing I think you're doing best here David is making a piece that stays true to the original song AND the role it played in the actual game. The chord progression is, as many pointed out, great. I like the sparse nature of the arrangement and the playing is superb too, very dynamic.

A wonderful piece.

• 3 weeks later...

Chillingly barren.

I admit I'm not really in the mood for something like this right now, but it;s so emotive that I can't help but take notice. Great piano sound, and I love the shimmering descending runs. A great mix that is only brought down by a few minor *minor* dissonant notes at 3:53 and 4:21.

Very nice piano work, I'm envious of your skill. ;_;

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Eh, I may be prominent on the keys but I'm not entirely a Square-based player. But I can see it working for Dhsu's way of performance easily.

I thought it would be hard to see it being interpreted just by the minimalism of the source material, but sometimes minimalism works best for sources like this. It starts off well being this dark and delicate interpretation of the source, with merely nothing but booming low octave notes supporting the notes. That minimalism was similarly maintained with the gentle hammered chords consisting of a fair chunk of the middle. There had been some more dynamic parts thrown in well, notably with bringing in the Chrono Cross "Dead Sea" source on the left hand at 1:20 being a genius way of expanding the soundscape that had been done, and the octave trills steadily building it into a more dynamic nature close to the 3 minute mark if only for a few moments.

The last minute can be seen as a major highlight in regards to performance, really building it up on the left hand while supporting the melody and fitting in a sweet Prelude cameo to take the track back the way it started with the low booming octave notes. It's sparse, it fits the mood and I like it - that's how I associate Dhsu's style.

Personally I would've said get Mustin to do your piano render instead of zircon, because from what I heard it sounds as if the note attack is too soft for a piece like this, and I felt it would work better on Mustin's pianos from what I later heard in the Tales project simply because they had this more dynamic punch that would've emphasized the dynamics tenfold. But that would be me and my tastes, I'm guessing.

Still a beautiful performance for a more obscure FF7 source, and I'm game to see how Dhsu would keep going as a performer in the time to come. I still love you man :)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01658 - Final Fantasy VII "A Life Without Parole"