OCR00884 - Tekken 2 "Incantation"

Disco Dan

Really interesting intro that leads into some great groove-based stuff. I love the bass synth and it's super vibrato parts. Good production, a nice combination of solo strings and synths, and some good transitions.

I missed this mix the first time around, but it's definitely held up well, and has some great features. It really does have a strong WHR vibe, and there's a lot of care put into it.

'

One of my favorite DJP mixes.

• 3 weeks later...

FACT: djp's intonation summons maximalist amounts of awesome in 46 seconds. (Also, 0:15 sounds like "Donut, donut, donut...") I like how it acts as a shout-out to the whispering (see what I did there) evident in the original song.

In such a bountiful sound field, the flute, strings, and piano gently paint the groove a pleasurable color. (The cello sample has a faint jitter-inducing loop set upon it, but it's only noticeable at the start, so it doesn't detract too much.) One of the pervasive pads sounds like one's ears are ringing (odd choice, but charming). When the flute sings a sad/longing verse at 1:51 and 3:29, I'm filled with awe and wonder. Meanwhile, 2:27 employs some liberal synth and drum synergy, like a complex network of pipes assembling themselves. And I'll never get tired of that hot spring-bubbly bass synth.

Finally, it makes me smile when I come across a "speaksynth" that djp gleefully employs in some of his older mixes; here, it pops up at 1:05, displaying style, spunk, and sleekness as it warps its mind and body for the good of the groove.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have never listened such an amazing remix before! Guys, this is wonderful! I am a very big fan of Tekken II. This remix remembers me my beautiful Tekken memoirs.. good old days.. what an amazing track! It really sounds Tekken! It really smells Tekken!! Congratulations. Many thanks for this. Amazing!!! Thank you very very much.

• 5 months later...

I know it's kind've the point of the song, but I'm not sure I dig the whispered voices to start things off. Cello felt a bit hot compared to the levels of the elements - that is until the beat kicks in. THAT'S the point where this track really picks up well (you had me worried there DJP). Nice crunchy bass and beat do a lot to bring up the level of this track. The cello isn't as bad of an offender at this point, but still feels loud in the mids - maybe some eq love would've helped here.

Some cool synths here to compliment our newly founded energy as well. I would've liked to hear that lead at 1:25 more prominently as it's pretty cool sounding. Maybe I have sensitive ears, but there are some super high freqs at 2:09 which are bugging me as I listen to it. I'm not entirely sure what the culprit is, but it drops out at 2:30. The section following feels slightly aimless, but it works as a contrast to other sections. Things circle back to the melody around the 3 minute mark nicely. In general, everything's clicking nicely throughout the track with only a few very minor issues. Probably one of DJP's stronger tracks, IMO. Good job.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00884 - Tekken 2 "Incantation"