WIP:O vs. C-Disc Release Rules

zircon

As many of you know, the WIP:O forum is not as trafficked as Community Discussion, but we do not want to clog C-Disc up with lots of threads that really belong elsewhere. So, we are implementing a new system, as something of an experiment, starting today. If you are a posted ReMixer, you are granted a posting allowance (in Community Discussion) of one thread per month that would normally be WIP:O content. There are some limitations on this:

* You may not do this with works-in-progress or single songs.

* These threads will be moved back to WIP:O in 2-3 weeks.

Threads that CAN be posted:

* Multi-song releases (eg. small projects, EPs)

* Album releases (commercial or free)

* Album announcements (eg. "I have an album coming out in 3 months")

* Remix contests or collaboration offers (eg. the Antigravity contest, sgx's remix album threads)

The allowance may also be used to move any allowed thread BACK into C-Disc, though it will only remain there for 2-3 weeks as per usual. Your allowance 'refreshes' on the 1st of each month. Post here with any questions or comments!

Why the restriction about only allowing posted remixers? Is this being implemented because you're getting too many album announcements/releases in gen disc (I mean personally I haven't seen this as a problem but I haven't been here constantly) or is it more intended to be an incentive to get all musicians who visit the site to post a remix? Just curious.

Other than that, a suggestion on how to increase OCR WIP and original music viewings might be to take a leaf out of VGMix's book - they have a WIP forum and a Finished Music forum, where both originals and remixes are posted, but each track is designated before the title with an [o] or an [r]. So instead of splitting it into Remix WIP and Other WIP, they split it into WIP and Finished, with each track posted within being organized accordingly between originals and remixes. They seem to attract a lot of forum viewers by doing this. But maybe that would get too cluttered within each, so I dunno - just an idea.

That said, I guess I'll have to get going on actually attempting a remix pretty soon here!

Well as of now, WIP:O is MOSTLY used for finished products anyway. But it gets woefully low traffic. Any solution that involves creation of another forum, I think, would reduce traffic even further. If you mean simply converting the two WIP forums into "In Progress" and "Released", we already considered that at one point, but decided it diluted the point of the site, which is video game music remixing. Most visitors here are interested in exactly that, and so the WIP:Remixes forum should remain as is.

Now, C-Disc still gets far more attention. We're extending the privilege to post WIP:O stuff there only to posted ReMixers because we don't want that forum to simply be a place where anyone can advertise. Think about how annoying it would be to see someone who signs up for OCR JUST to pimp an album release. That's their only post. If we were to let anyone post in C-Disc though, we would have to allow that.

Of course there is a grey area. You've been involved in the community and are clearly not just here to promote your music. But that's just it - how do you deal with the grey area? What criteria can we put forth to separate noobs and spammers from legitimate musicians involved with the community? The only clear-cut way to do it is to check whether they have a posted ReMix or not. At least, that's what we decided after a lot of discussion.

Yeah, I can see that. That pretty much makes sense - it's more a pre-emptive kind of thing then. I know you guys are trying to make more and more of the site have specific written rules (e.g. the submission standards) so there's less gray area, so I can at least see why you would implement this - it's just a little surprising is all.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe there could be some sort of post creteria? Like, ive been here for a while and I'd really like to post a remix contest in C dis, but I cant because I havent had a remix accepted. So I would be in the grey area I suppose.

but then again.. this might cause people to spam just to get their post count up? I dunno, all I know is I'd like to post something up in there :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hope this isn't necroposting or anything, but I'm slightly confused about something. Obviously I'm not a posted ReMixer. But I have an original song I made and I wanted to post them to get feedback. The WIP:O forum is right for that, correct? It just sounds like only released/finished songs/albums can be posted here. I just want to clear this up before I post anything. After all, better safe than sorry.

• 3 months later...

So I am a bit confused about this whole thing. The forum this sticky is in--is it the WIP:O forum or what? Also I can't find this other C-Disc forum so I'm confused what that is. Is the C-Disc forum hidden to non-posted remixers? Because I can't find it. I'm just confused about where to post an original mix that I made to get feedback on it. If this forum is the C-Disc forum then I'm obviously not supposed to put it here.

• 5 months later...

I guess I'm in the grey area ... I've worked for years creating VGM remixes, released three albums, got some praise (from a Funkadelic guitarist, among others), and listened to dozens of WIPs and other people's music which I've commented, both in the WIP forum and on the irc channel. Alas, I'm not a posted remixer, but I've waited since December to get my remix judged.

I'll take that as a reason to spam my newly released album in this thread.

So, here! Listen to my album and buy it if ya want!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!

(Click my banner below.)

Now I'll proceed to where I'm supposed to. See ya'all.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

:???:

does these terms and limitation also comply to Mod Review posts?

like me, you know i post about our (reunion) releases here in WIP:O. so even if I'm a ReMixer, all our artists aren't.

for example, Jani-R's EP was released a while back, he's not a ReMixer, could i post a Mod Review of similar releases in C-Disc once a month or do they go here in Wip-O?

cheers,

plato-kun

Derp, I haven't been paying attention.

Actually, mod reviews are solely restricted to VG remixes that are trying to be posted onto OCR, as the moderator's job is to evaluate a track as an OCR judge might, if it were to go to the panel. Seeing that OCR doesn't release original music, placing a 'Mod review' for originals will get you no response, anyway. Sorry, normally I go behind people's backs and edit the Mod review out of the original posts section, but you seem to have been under the radar for a little while.

Short answer, no, you can't post a "Mod review" thread in Community - according to the rules in this thread you could post an album advertisement for your band, as you're a remixer (it does need to be your band, though, and not someone else's) - just don't expect the Mods to review it. You also shouldn't use the "Mod Review" prefix in any original track or album thread. This section shares it's options for prefixes with the "Workshop: Game Remixes" section so it shows up as an option, but it actually will get you no response from the Mods, and it's more likely that I'll simply edit your prefix without you knowing.

'Cause I'm like that. :)!!

If you want mods to review the albums or tracks you could always PM one of us, though - there's no guarantee, but you'll have better luck with a response than posting a non-OCR bound track or album under Mod review.

:???:does these terms and limitation also comply to Mod Review posts?

like me, you know i post about our (reunion) releases here in WIP:O. so even if I'm a ReMixer, all our artists aren't.

for example, Jani-R's EP was released a while back, he's not a ReMixer, could i post a Mod Review of similar releases in C-Disc once a month or do they go here in Wip-O?

I've just been amused at your misunderstanding of what mod review is for and ignoring the posts, waiting for the lack of response to get you to read up on it or ask someone. :P Some people around here clearly don't read those guideline/how-to posts, as you're not the only one to have marked originals for mod review.

Why it's available in Originals I have no idea.

And no, music that isn't your own doesn't fall under the aforementioned posted-remixer-privilege. Feel free to start a thread about the label and its releases in Community tho, just don't make it spammy with updates every other day (discussion is another thing, of course). I reckon Darke or someone will step in if it gets spammy.