OCR01662 - Secret of Evermore "K-Pax for Evermore"

djpretzel

Holy crap. The first few seconds made me very disoriented... I mean physically. I don't know what effects you used, but I was literally stunned for a brief couple of seconds. Anyway, I like the piece. I like the way it combines the old skool sounds with the more "modern" ones in such a way that I am not thrown off by the chiptunes used. The flow is really good. My only suggestion is to figure out what that was at the beginning, cause it literally hurt. I'm also not a big advocate for using fade outs, but that's more a personal preference.

Very interesting take on the source. As always with Mazedude's work it's top notch production coupled with a very creative arrangement. I can get bored with the single string, it tends to be a bit to forward for me. The synth leads are great, especially the one at about half the tune with the C64-esque modulation and delay.

Solid stuff from Mazedude.

The intro could have been more spread out before the main synth comes in, but other than that it's about time that someone did this theme in a fitting way.

I've actually had an unfinished trance remix of this theme sitting on the drive for the past 1.5 years :-0 gotta finish it

Anyway, I always love listening to mazedudes mixes and this is no different. His style, and sound choices, remind me of what got me into game music in the first place. Good work brutha

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kinda a sucker for Secret of Evermore remixes, but even with that in mind I have to say that this is amazing. It keeps the same "feel" of the original but is really different and lovely in its own right as well... really nice job.

• 2 weeks later...

Great atmospheric track, the delayed bass harmonic sample at the beginning was awesome, and the track progressed very well while retaining a deep atmospheric mood. Synth choices were all fantastic and meshed together well, and every few listens, you discover another layer of sound. My one complaint is that is starts fading at the end and then gets abruptly cut out. Considering how much care was put into the rest of the song it seems like an oversight.

I'm wondering if this track hasn't received the attention it deserves review-wise because its downtempo? A more obscure game? It was posted nearby a lot of other, higher profile mixes? I'm not really sure, but if you are reading this, be sure to check this track out.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Can't really comment on the K-Pax thing, but I just recently re-discovered the SoE soundtrack and the original version of this song is definitely my favorite from the soundtrack. As a result this remix is a very welcome addition to my collection, very low key, but the same melody is there.

Hard to describe but this remix has a very "light" feel to it, very unique.

• 2 months later...

I was just recently introduced to a couple tracks from SoE through an awesome channel on Youtube called "From Bleeps to Beats: The Music of Video Games". I'd never played the game before so it was a very welcome addition to my playlist. I listened to it all a number of times before coming here and finding Mazedude's remix. When I heard it I felt like flying and crying all at once. It's just soooo beautiful, flowing and ethereal. It even prompted me to go and get the K-Pax soundtrack. I whole heartedly agree with Dunnowhathuh... it can easily be snuck into the soundtrack with absolute perfection.

Thank you for this gorgeous masterpiece, Mazedude.:-)

Mazedude's tracks tend to be very unique, so... sometimes I like them, sometimes they don't quite click with me. But they're always interesting, no doubt about that.

This in particular might be my favorite remix that Mazedude's done thus far. It really, really gets at the part-eerie, part-mysterious atmosphere in both SoE and K-Pax (really enjoyed that movie, by the way). It's a brilliant track where you can really hear the inspiration behind it. KF

• 5 months later...

This one never should have become buried in my vg remix collection. I am elated that I rediscovered it.

The combination of organic and synthetic sounds is astoundingly beautiful and profound. It truly surprised me how appropriately these seemingly polar opposites could meld as they interplayed; also from what I understand, such a melding also fits perfectly with the theme of the game itself. The poignant touch, in my opinion, was made in giving each style its own moment to speak... the sounds intertwine and build, then the organic quiets for the synthetic to profess its secrets, both build and recircle, then the artificial withdraws and allows the natural to give its testament, and finally they rejoin and crescendo only to eventually fade into the distance.

This is the story I hear. It is further accented by the panning, which completely envelops me in this strange world, and by the pitch bending of the synth, which sends a chill down my spine every time it is introduced.

Now I must listen to the soundtrack from K-Pax. However, I will venture a guess that, even if the idea originated from Mr Shearmur's work, the inspiration evident here came from none other than Mr Getman. Do be proud; this is phenomenal. Thank you for this.

• 6 months later...
I've actually had an unfinished trance remix of this theme sitting on the drive for the past 1.5 years :-0 gotta finish it

3+ years now? =(

This is a fantastic mix. It was always hard to justify getting SoE for xmas while my brother got Chrono Trigger...which one of us won the battle of "better game"? He did, obviously. But sibling rivalry commanded me to squeeze every ounce of good out of this one, and I think I did.

The score is absolutely unique for an SNES game, centered around mystery, loss, and desperation. It was so good that I tended to hate the game because of its long stretches without any BGM playing, regardless of gameplay elements (although frequent and lengthy mazes were frustrating on their own accord).

I love all 3 of the remixes up here, all evince terrific emotion in the spirit of the source. Mazedude's percussion is fantastic, like a well-measured case of ADD knocking pads and bells in an entrancing rhythm. For some reason, the melding of synths and percussion reminds me of a more electronica version of the latest Muse album's symphonic suite (sans guitar). Beautiful stuff.

I agree with the criticism that the ending jumps out of nowhere.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This might just be my favorite Mazedude mix ever! :-D He's mentioned in the past how he finds a different set of sounds for each mix, but I think the one's he's using here work better together than any of his remixes I've heard up to this point. It's so peaceful and serene, but mysterious as well. The piano fits like a glove into the synthy soundscape... honestly, I could keep rambling, but ultimately this is one of my favorite Mazedude mixes and I'd recommend everyone check it out!

• 11 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01662 - Secret of Evermore "K-Pax for Evermore"