OCR01663 - Final Fantasy VII "Frozen Landscape"

djpretzel

Tweek delivers! Brian makes great use of the gated pad coupled with some heavily reverbed percussion elements and they all seem to fit perfectly together. You can tell a lot of time was spent making this an atmospheric piece and Brian succeeded. The Guitar is a welcome touch that helps to keep the mix from going stale. Very laid back, not much changing up during the remix but this is so pleasing on the ears that you just don't care. I especially enjoy the glockenspiel, a sound I also tend to use a lot. :)

Great stuff from Tweek, lovin' it.

I absolutely loved this song (and still do). the original was probably one of my most happily reflected audio sources from a game that just puts me in a good mood thinking about it. And I'd have to say that this ReMix takes every part and of the original and makes it wonderful-er. Great job Brian, I hope to hear more songs like this from you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This had to be the most unexpected of my favorite songs on the VotL project. Looking at the track list beforehand, I honestly didn't even remember the Buried in Snow source tune. But I must give a huge thanks to tweek for remembering it, and going on to embellish it so well. That's half of what I love about OCR; getting introduced to wonderful melodies that I never really knew.

The atmosphere comes in very spacious and light, setting the mood for the rest of the track. Even the deliciously stutter-syncopated synths fade in softly, while the chilled percussion echoes far into the icy distance with every hit. The piano, then chimey-synths, that simply play out the melody are so very ethereal within the rest of the mix. And the fading in and out of instruments, to a bare percussionless soundscape at one point before ramping back up, makes even this chill track ebb and flow delightfully.

Kudos.

And in response to OA, I'd have to say one need not 'rock out' to music in the car. Just imagine cruising down a long highway on a cool dark night, miles of uninterrupted road between you and your destination, the stars as your companion, and this song as your elegy. ^.^

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Pretty classic tweek material here, it accomplishes pretty much everything it sets out to do; craft a moody, ambient, and cold atmosphere and give the source a bit of energy. There's a constant sense of motion in here with the gated synths and Brian's very recognizable percussion style, but it doesn't ever feel like it's going too fast for my tastes.

Highly recommended, every part of this remix really comes together perfectly to form a beautiful and haunting atmosphere.

• 1 year later...

Deep stuff. I love the blend of light and rich sounds to create that really fragile mood. Melody is downplayed to a very faint proportions, which I think works well and allows the strengths of depth and mood take center stage.

Love the prominence of the percussive elements in this one; really sells the vibe in spades. Listening to this, and the consistency in the instrumentation, instantly calls up imagery of ice, caverns, water and COLD. Perfectly atmospheric and a terrific mood piece.

• 3 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01663 - Final Fantasy VII "Frozen Landscape"
  • 6 months later...

On 12/4/2015 at 10:06 AM, Black_Doom said:

One of my personal hilights of VotL. It really brings to mind a picture of something very cold, very ethreal, airy and fragile. Especially dig the percussive textures and acoustic guitar. It definitely maintains the winter atmosphere with such wonderful and lush soundscape. Freakin' awesome.

Black Doom nailed it. Perfect description. I've loved this mix for many years. Thanks so much to the remixer for creating it.