dammit - need < $200 MP3 player suggestions

supremespleen

So for Christmas I got the 16 gig Sansa view I asked for. The reviews on amazon were great, so I was totally stoked.

It's a buggy POS. Screen flickers, freezes during all song shuffle play, will not play video or pictures (I just get some weird thumbnail). I'll be chatting with tech support tomorrow, but basically I will have to return it to Amazon. I don't want to have to fight with a damn MP3 player to get it to work.

Now, here's my problem. For the 20 minutes that it functioned nicely today, I really was enjoying having a large MP3 player. So I want to get one to replace it. It has to stay under 200, cos that was my parents' budget for the thing. I realllllly didn't want to have to go ipod, but it is looking like that might be the only option? It seems like the smaller Creative MP3 players have lots of problems.

So, is my only choice the 8 gig ipod nano? :\

I just got a 30 gig Zune last night and I'm loving it. Haven't had any problems with it so far, and the screen's great for videos (I watched the first half of Superbad on it earlier today). Of course, it costs 200 dollars so I guess that's out of your budget, but I think 4 gig ones cost 150, and if those are as high of quality as the 30 gig one then I can recommend it wholeheartedly.

I just got a 30 gig Zune last night and I'm loving it. Haven't had any problems with it so far, and the screen's great for videos (I watched the first half of Superbad on it earlier today). Of course, it costs 200 dollars so I guess that's out of your budget, but I think 4 gig ones cost 150, and if those are as high of quality as the 30 gig one then I can recommend it wholeheartedly.
200 is okay. Shoulda' put a less than or equal to sign, I guess.

Anyone have any experience with these?

I don't know who told you Creative's smaller players have problems. In fact, I don't know who told you any of Creative's players have problems. But let me point you in the right direction:

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Zen-16-GB-Black/dp/B000UVBDRS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1198641607&sr=8-3

I bought it before it went on sale and it's worth the money. At $200, you should act now. Really no problems with this little beauty, and a far better option than and iPod nano.

That said, I searched around for the Zune and damn does it look good right now. The only problem is I couldn't figure out if there is such a thing as a 2nd generation 30GB model, which would really hit the spot for the needs you've described before. If so (or if there's a firmware update that makes the 1st generations behave like 2nd generations), get a Zune, dude.

I got an iPod Photo (30gb) in late 2005, and it has served me well ever since as a PC user. Yeah, iTunes isn't so hot, but you don't have to use it often. The device itself is battery-efficient, has a great UI, and in general works like it should. I've never had any major problems. A few lockups here and there, and a single crash where I had to re-sync ALL my music (a 2-hr automated process) but nothing serious.

I'm leaning towards iPod after Syl told me I could use winamp to as a music manager instead of iTunes. That makes a huge difference for me. Lesser known mp3 players like the Zens and other things make me nervous now that I've had this experience with Sansa. I worry about the reviews of the current gen iPod though. Sounds like the interface is slow and yucky.

I suppose at this point it's between an 8 gig nano and the 30 gig classic. Unless of course the tech support people at Sansa fix ALL of my problems.

I really don't want to have to fight with an mp3 player to get it to do what I want, though...

search ebay for "fruit mp4"

I got mine for $30. It is 2 gig with 3" screen. The player is really small, not much bigger than the 3" screen, and easily fits in the pocket. Kicks the shit out of the ipod unless you honestly need your whole damn library on the stupid player. It does video, txt files, mp3, jpg, and some other stuff.