Super Mario Hell

Steben

As far as mario hacks go, I thoroughly enjoyed "Super Demo World"

It's not an extreme difficulty hack, it can be beaten without savestates (I've 100%'d it without cheating), but it's definitely several notches harder than the original SMW.

The creater of SDW released a SMW rom editing app. This is why there are so many SMW hacks out there. It's called Lunar Magic.

Also, Super Demo World implemented a lot of Assembler hacks that allowed the greation of new blocks and backgrounds and powerups. A few examples are Goomba Blocks (Blocks mario can't pass through but enemies walk through), a pyramid level (SMB3 style), Ice blocks that you destroy with fireballs, SMB3 style pipes (there's a highly reminiscent pipe maze level), small pipes only small mario can go through, fire cannons (like the ones in SMB3 airships and New SMB's final castle (this came out way before NSMB). It's a really neat hack that I heartily recommend. It's in English too.

Also, so no one misses out on the hardest levels in the game (extra levels spoiler) -> There is a second exit in Bowser's Castle, leading to a whole new area. Access it through ducking under a small space in the castle, then unducking. You'll slide through the wall. Here's a vid:

<- Spoiler

Also, so no one screws themself, when you do the star road, beat the levels the normal exit BEFORE you do the keyhole exit. The normal exit opens the path to the next level, the keyhole exit turns the level into a warp star out of star road.

Here's an example level: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMQJCpW1fSw

and a ridiciculous Star Road level, TAS

The others are fellow goons. What did you expect?

Also, the one triad linked isn't tool assisted, so you get to see someone actually complete this by trial and (a lot of) error.

I'm sorry, I'm not an SA goon or whatever but found that video to be the best. I love actual human reaction in my videos for one. And you're making it sound like there weren't hundreds of trial and error in those videos.

Hey is anyone having problems running the program under Windows XP SP2? It always tells me it's configured wrong and to try reinstalling it. :|

Edit: Yeah, Drack, Super Demo World is the shit. Hard, but fun and creative as hell. Me: I'm permanently stuck on the Backdoor Star World level where you have to fly through the spikes and saws and stuff. Is there *any* way through that??

I love these games to death, but I haven't had the time to try them yet. But I agree that Super Demo World is a CLASSIC. Possibly better designed than most SMW levels.

Actually, most of these mods are almost universally better than the old versions, except for the times when they mess up the physics (like demo world) a bit.

He calls it "Cat Mario."

He did a playthrough of the game, no tool assistance, and live commentary throughout the playthrough, lasting for 6 videos. Quite funny, most of it.

Hahaha, quite good, his accent was amusing.

But damn, he cheated for the last part.

Try figuring out the way to get to the watermelon without looking at any guides... damn, took me like 100 more lives.

THE CLOUDS KILL YOU WHAT IS THAT

I beat this game, but I had to look up two things. One being killing the robot with the shell, and the other being getting the melon. They are just ridiculously absurd and if you figured those out on your own you are a danger to those around you.

I beat this game, but I had to look up two things. One being killing the robot with the shell, and the other being getting the melon. They are just ridiculously absurd and if you figured those out on your own you are a danger to those around you.

Believe it or not there are Worse Things than syoban action.

I figured those out on my own... the shell thing was kinda obvious, the melon was just by accident.

I've got JUST the thing to add to this thread.

Automated Mario levels. I think they use the slide physics a lot because in some videos Mario's feet look so dang slippery. Enjoy.

Numbers 5, 7, and 8 are so amazing! It must have taken a long time to make art like this. ^_^

Does anyone know where I can find that hack? I'd prefer to be able to watch these with the audio in sync.

• 2 weeks later...
Real men cry because of video games.

Fun shit, dude

EDIT: Is there any way to get past the part immediately after the cat bowser?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Use an enemy with the help of a hazard to give yourself a boost onto the roof of the stage, right before the 3 ? blocks at the end. (highlight)