OCR00078 - Frogger "Funkiphibian Dub"

Frogger 'Funkiphibian Dub'

Here's that "Dub" genre again that I know nothing about. When is someone gonna come out with a genre called "Erase"?

Anyway this is a really cool mix. Sounds like the Chrono Trigger Revival Day mix as far as the sounds used are concerned, but that's OK. There's no law that says each song should have completely different sounds. djp got his money's worth with this set because I likes what I hears! A happy little tune with a funky beat. Hopefully this mix doesn't get OverLooked because it really does deserve a listen, dammit!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Can thank VGDJ #37 for having this one at random via the Roulette. Nice beatwork and bassline especially. Wasn't feeling some of the more freestylish EP stuff, but really appreciated how the supporting instrumentation arranged the source material beyond the melodic content. Surprised this doesn't have more reviews. Poor Frogger.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Hehe, this is fun, there's a great drum line throughout the entire track,

:00-:44 starts us with a driving beat and builds the percussion up to :45-1:18 which gets us into the melody.

1:19-1:52 brings us a cool drum breakdown,

1:53-2:27 gets back to the main melody of the song, then brings us another breakdown at 2:28.

3:01 takes us back once more to the main melody before

3:18 brings in something new with fx from the game(it seems).

very upbeat, and if I may dare, the sound effects at 3:18 3:20

sound like splats.(ewww)

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Most, if not all of pretzel's early works have a lot in common with eachother, whether it be samples or structure. And amazingly, I think they have aged remarkably well compared to some other examples in the seminal stages of OCR.

There's nothing too crazy going on here, and it is a stretch to call this dub music. But you can definitely hear where it is heading in terms of sound. It's light and slighty chippy and does a great job at expanding such a repetitive melody line. Things stay quite diverse throughout thanks to that infamous noodling solo motif pretzel has going on. In all, its a pretty solid package considering its age. It's a good mix to see what has and hasn't changed musically between now and then.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I actually forgot Frogger even had music to begin with, but I like what DJP set out to do here. How well it has aged obviously depends on the listener, but DJP seems to have plenty of songs that have aged much better than others in this time bracket, and this is one of them in my opinion.

• 1 year later...

Oh wow I actually remember this as being a remix I've liked for a long time. Strange, I'm not sure that I've even seen a Frogger arcade machine (although I played a bit of the Frogger PS1 game....... that doesn't count)

Anyway it's another intricate crazy solofest djpretzel mix which is personally some of my favorite content on the site. Again the harsh percussion against the mellow piano-type noises really creates an interesting musical dilemma of sorts. I prefer the Chrono Trigger song just before this with the similar sounds, maybe because its shorter and more to the point or maybe because the source hits closer to me. But this is definitely a fun song and I'm happy that you decided to crank this out :P

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00078 - Frogger "Funkiphibian Dub"