Metroid Prime 2 'Main Theme Orchestral'

ellywu2

I hope this doesn't mean you're giving up on your other two tracks... that would be such a waste of talent and potential. Anywhoo, this is also nice and above average.

I'd have to say there are two things that bug me. One is that that the part after 2:08 or so isn't balanced very well in terms of sound volumes; its not horrible but each instrument drowns out the other a little bit, could use some leveling. Also, the percussion part on its own (ex. 1:16-17, 1:19-20) sounds dinky. It could use a much higher quality drum. It took me out of the moment when I heard that part imparticular so maybe find a better font for that.

As far as the song itself is concerned I don't have a lot of criticism. Its solid writing, and whatever problems there may be I can't notice them. Good work indeed.

Well if this is a rough cut, I'm sure you're already aware, but audio comes in 10 seconds into the song. Unless you plan to move up the score a few measures, an introductory chord should be added. The build is really clean and moving at 1:14. In the split second to where it hits 1:15, I might add some type of reverse cymbal to help build the crescendo. Unless you're going for an all orchestral piece (which i don't think you are given the monderesque percussion) it would be a perfect fit IMO. Derrit is right though, the drums are alone in their nature.

The percussion does not complement the movement of the instruments. It would by nice to hear some instruments...say staccato strings or trumpets in rhythm with the drums to help connect the thought processes. All in all, the drums are very well put together; almost reminiscent of that one "Resident Evil 2" Movie score.

Stereo Imaging is pretty good, but i would like to hear a bit more treble come out on the higher end instruments. I know it is an orchestral piece, but i would especially love to hear the percussion come out a bit.Very epic score though. I'm interested to see the next direction the piece goes.

• 1 month later...

I know i'm just some random dude and this isn't the thread for it, but PLEASE PLEASE finish your devil's lab remix? hearing dirt devil on the front page reminded me of your mix, not even the original from the game, and i'd love to see that be a permanent part of the site. hopefully some encouragement for what was an excellent mix to get finished.

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty dern awesome! I like the solo female vocals and that beginning lil distorted perc bit at the very beginning of the break out is quite awesome. Very good feel overall, but I would say that adding a bit more punch to the percussion would help it feel more powerful. Otherwise, i can't think of anything else I would fix though. Good schtuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Partially unrelated question: what kind of drums are those? I mean both what actual instrument it supposed to be, and also what sample. I've never been able to figure out what actual drum the typical "epic movie score drum" is.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you update it? I can't remember... Anyway, you've really complemented the source very well. It bounces between the bravado of Braveheart and the more erotic nuances of the Diablo 2 soundtrack, which I suppose can't be bad.

I've got one request, though, and it's to change those damn Terminator drums that begin at 1:10. You've got so much ridiculously good, original stuff here that hearing them at 1:10 takes me completely out of the world you're creating. I start seeing Arnold Schwarzenegger with a shotgun walking out of some wall of fire. Change it!