OCR00891 - Super Metroid "Brinstar (Dreams in Red)"

djpretzel

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I love this song to death. I fell for this song hard when I heard it in Super Metroid and came on here hoping to find good remixes of this theme. I made the mistake of trying to torrent remixes of it and the biggest issue I've seen with some remixes of this song is they make it too cheerful or make it some kind of style that doesn't suit it, like happy hardcore or even jazzy.

This song's tone is dark and almost suffocating. It was a beautiful choice for the game, but I find myself severely disappointed when a song's main tone is stripped from it. I think it really takes a large amount of talent to make a song your own while still keeping the feel of it for the listeners who loved the original to begin with. Beautifully done.

• 3 months later...

I want to champion the intro for this, because I've read some complaints that it's dull, uninspired, boring. I think it contends as one of the best things about the mix. It's brooding ambience at its very best, and the best thing about it is that it is quintessential Metroid. 30 seconds in and there is no doubt we are in the Metroid universe, distorted and dark as hell. The collab team were totally right to see the strength in it and let it play out for such an extended amount of time. It speaks to the mix, as well as the game it derives from in terms of a slow-burning establishment of atmosphere and the connection to the surronundings.

Of course, it's not just the intro that stands out. K. Praslowicz's guitar kicks ass as a menacing lead, and gives the mix a better drive that sustains it to the end. As cool as the intro is, most people need that pitstop of awesomeness, especially with a running length as long as this.

Really great collaboration; I can distinctly hear the strengths of each player and they mesh extremely well. I got pretty immersed in this. A huge success.

• 2 months later...

K. Praslowicz Review:

The crunchy glitchy guitar in the beginning is a great texture! The lead is glorious. It stands out well and cuts the soundscape grabbing the listeners attention!. The resulting feedback is another great touch to the tone of the piece. The guitar, as a whole, sits perfectly into the mix here. I really love it. The heavy reverb sections work really well too by changing the mood and tone yet again! In terms of guitar work, I would say that this is KP's best work to date! Excellent work mate.

• 1 month later...

Atmospheric and interesting, but after it was over, I couldn't remember what had just happened. Lack of coffee in the morning or not enough melodic content? YOU DECIDE! Actually, i'll decide, and i think it was a lack of melodic content. The melody itself was present, but it's a more ambient style melody, and things felt more like a texture study than an actual song to me. I know a lot of people love this kind of music, and good on them, but unfortunately, i'm not one of them. :-(

• 6 years later...

Excellent twisted ambience. I like how the early drums are heavier than a house but buried. It's also nice how that famous background harmony works its way in without much fanfare. The feedback at 3:01 is mean as rotted mincemeat. 4:19 sounds like a light in the darkness, bright but failing to overwhelm the mysterious surroundings. The synth at 5:00 is just great. Another great mix.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00891 - Super Metroid "Brinstar (Dreams in Red)"
  • 2 years later...

Aside from all the other praise that I echo for this piece, I love the progression it features. For nearly 5 minutes it inexorably grows, fluctuates, deepens, and produced more to enthrall a listener. It's analogous to the gameplay of Metroid: you begin with simple capabilities and mechanics, which continue to expand in number and intensity. A gem among remixes, recommended to anyone.