you ever listen to a remix before listening to the original song?

Nicholestien

lmao, man, Since I started playing final fantasy VI for the first time in a few days, I recently heard the original peice of music that the remix enchanted esper came from, you know, that protricity dude.

it's insane doing this, and gives you a different perspective on just how good these remix's are.

=O

ZOMG

Yup. I thought that adding notes to the existing melody was changing the song all together. >_>

Hahahah. Come on man. When you think about it, how is adding extra notes any different from adding techno drum beats or a guitar solo? ^_^

A really easy-to-understand example of adding extra notes to a melody is Island of Zeal by Mazedude.

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00275/

It's groovy. After one time through the main melody, keeping it almost exactly the same as the original, there's a guitar solo and then when the main melody comes back it's got an additional harmony line added to it. It fits so damn nicely. Check it out.

Hayz I got a tip, did you know you can change the TEMPO of the song you remix as well?! ZOMGAWESOME!!11

Oh, ontopic: I actually downloaded Cavestory because of the remixes I heard of it on here, the music really is awesome =3

Yeah but I bet you can't change the key or time signature or the genre of the piece can you? Yeah didn't think so!

To answer the original question, I try not to. It's make it harder for me to appreiciate the mix if I'm not familiar with the source tune. Of course, the problem is that I am severely behind on many games, so I will oftentimes do it anyway. But then the mix is not nearly as significant to me as it could be.

To answer the thread topic's question, I'd have to say that probably half of the remixes I enjoy the most, I've never heard the original source material. It's always interesting to hear the original of course, but I enjoy a great many of these remixes as musical tracks unto themselves.

That being said, I think the remixes that top my list of favorites are those which I am familiar with the original source tune. So it's a mixed bag of sorts.

Now, another issue altogether is whether or not I've actually played the game. I'd have to say that 95% of the remixes I enjoy, I've never played the game the source material is from. A ready example that comes to mind is Final Fantasy VII - never played the game, but I have the soundtrack and VotL is probably my favorite OCR tribute album to date. Go figure!