Sonic 3D Blast (Sat) 'Rusty Ruins'

noTuX

A little something I've been working on for about a week. Its still kinda rough, but you'll get the idea.

I'm using this new program to do the mp3 tags and its kinda being a bitch right now, so forgive me if the tags are a little screwed up.

In this mix, I'm trying to combine the "Rusty Ruins Act 1 and 2" while keeping the same cool, mellow mood set by the original artist. Like my other mixes, I'm not trying to be "over the top." Just something to chill to.:wink:

Anyway, I've completed about two minutes so far and I will try my best to actually finish and submit this by the end of January.

Small Update:

I appreciate your comment guys. In this update, I tweaked the EQing for the drums and the Synth. I'm trying to come up with another lead synth, but I haven't found anything that sounds good enough yet.

http://www.mediafire.com/?apnz9jzexu9

Comments are welcomed.

I think it sounds pretty good. Very chill; I can see myself listening to this after a long day or just relaxing. I'm not overly familiar with the source, but it seems like you incorporate enough of yourself to be worthy in that regard. It could possibly use a little more, maybe a short flute addition here and there in the background.

I love Rusty Ruin.

This is very nice. I was a little iffy about the lead when it came in. It seemed a bit muffled, try boosting the high end or trying another synth all together. You got some nice delay on there, maybe a little more reverb if it doesn't push it back too much. But the groove is perfect. If your later additions keep things interesting, I see this getting through the panel easy.

Nice guitar sounds.. Im really digging the begining!

Good buildup.. slow and chilling ^_^.

Maybe is only a thing of tastes but this could improve a lot if drums had a bit more of presence (an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olYVnvfPDoI or even this

, which kinda approaches your style)

I know many people will say "Hey I liked the drums.. you f*cking retard, stop saying cr*p about Bluemagic".. but seriously ... try tweaking a bit the eq-ing of the drums, and maybe putting the snare drum slightly louder..or even distorting a bit the hi hat... I can assure you miracles can be done with that! :D

Great change section at 1:22. I like the way you use the piano.

I think a female singer, or a Craig-Davis-like-male singer could turn this into total awesomeness, you should seriously consider that possibility. Also, a soft, slightly-distorted guitar solo could be great for a variation part

Overally this sounds great, but you gotta FINISH IT!!!

lol this theme rocks in Sonic 3D Blast. reverb, as mentioned earlier, would help fill in the soundscape. the transition with the piano was awesome, just as it was in the original. good use of the key change! I've wanted to take a shot at this theme myself for sometime but it's been a little hard for me. you've done a really good job so far!

Yo Blue some nice acoustic guitar sequencing man!

Excellent panning and spacing per usual. Really like how the lead synth bends and changes throughout. For a 2nd lead maybe try the same lead except use some tri or saw wavs and distortion for taste.

Similar to what Audix said about the midrange. Some more apparent strings or pads would really help solidify the mid range. Prob go for some nice airy synth pads on this.

Great chill vibe per usual!

I never played through this part of the game, but I instantly recognize the source because I heard the original in a mashup with Busta Rhymes. You captured a very nice morning jungle feel with the ambient sounds and the crisp EQing. What I think would make this better would to bring in choir vocals, as they were used in the original. Or maybe some "tribal" vocals to really nail the jungle atmosphere.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...