i Jenova mix !

1makes2

hey yallll!

im not a cowboy but i do like music! thats why i started to make this remix of the jenova song from FF7! its nowhere near complete but i think its a good start. its only about 2.5 minutes but it ends at a part where it slows down and im trying to come up with a way to bring it all back in.. im prob going to add a guitar part W some solos with my strat.. if any of you have some ideas or criticisms for this song please let me know ! :)

heres the link *updated*

1makes2.tripod.com

its called "jenovaflavoredmateria"

This is sick as hell, and I personally don't think the song needs a guitar solo as what I'm hearing is pretty strong as it is.

If you are gung ho about the solo, I'm not sure it should kick start the song after it starts to wind down. If anything, the solo, as well as the guitar in general will just sound tacked on for no real reason other than to be there.

Establish the guitar from the beginning of the song and there is more of a place for a solo.

Stay away from some cheesy chugga chugga stuff, though. Pretty much the fastest way to ruin some nice work.

Might want to wait for some other person's reaction for anything more technical than that. I am just playing but what sounds good to my ears. And my ears dig it.

I changed the link to my song because myspace ruins my mix by squashing it so much. so here it is and now it will sound better (than myspace anyways)

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/34315/JENOVA-1--mp3.html

you have to wait 30 seconds b4 you can download. its 8 mb

I have put an ending on this thing. its at the fence but i want your criticisms and suggestions so i can knock this thing out the park!

Thanks!

Very shweet, the percussion is awesome, kinda reminds me of Sephire's remix of the Mako Reactor.

BTW I agree about the guitar thing with Fishy...it can be a reaaal pain to get a guitar sounding good...I know a few remixers who're having loads of trouble trying to master them correctly :S

ive decided against the guitar, but i still feel like im missin something.... somthing on the high end... any help?

I think the only thing i dont like is the snare sample at 1:07. I would find a more clear crisp sample for that, or just use the same one you did in the beginning. Also, that cool bass line disapeared at 1:07 :(

i think theres another one but i like the first one better. That might just be a taste issue, but regardless the bass needs to come out after 1:07. Its back at 2:09 tho which i like.

nice effects usage at 3:17 and 3:24.

Yeah, great stuff, like everyone has been saying ... I can't find anything to say that's critical.

Like Davidicus said above, that panning effect is cool with the 'whoosh', and the falling notes following behind for the finish @ 3:24. Very polished and well-rounded I think ... I wish I heard the earlier versions.

Cool beans.

• 3 weeks later...

Bass drum sounds weird on imac built-in speakers, I suppose it's a bit ewird on all speakers then. There's a bunch of different rhythms that seem to coexist in some dystopic soundscape. It has some variation, but it feels a bit too simple at times. Some samples/synths don't have the quality the Judges™ seem to enjoy, imo.

It might be a YES as it's a pretty good arrangement and not a bad mix, but you might as well be getting a RESUB. It might be that although the mixing is okay, they'll say the remix doesn't go anywhere.

There's still stuff you could improve, and I have a feeling the J's will point that out to you. Still, it's a decent piece and wouldn't have much trouble blend into the OCR's musical gallery, methinks. Might be that the mix sounds so much better on headphones or better speakers, or it sounds worse. The J's vote could actually rest on that.

Short answer: I don't know.

Bass drum sounds weird on imac built-in speakers, I suppose it's a bit ewird on all speakers then. There's a bunch of different rhythms that seem to coexist in some dystopic soundscape. It has some variation, but it feels a bit too simple at times. Some samples/synths don't have the quality the Judges™ seem to enjoy, imo.

It might be a YES as it's a pretty good arrangement and not a bad mix, but you might as well be getting a RESUB. It might be that although the mixing is okay, they'll say the remix doesn't go anywhere.

There's still stuff you could improve, and I have a feeling the J's will point that out to you. Still, it's a decent piece and wouldn't have much trouble blend into the OCR's musical gallery, methinks. Might be that the mix sounds so much better on headphones or better speakers, or it sounds worse. The J's vote could actually rest on that.

Short answer: I don't know.

Speaking of the judges, they've really got to get cracking on their queue again, it's shot WAY up yet again and the last song they've NO'd or YES'd has been almost a week now. C'mon Larry Oji and guys, get down to business! And I don't understand why you guys instantly rejected my "Mining for Awesome" song, I mean yes it did breach some of the rules, but I'd think that a NO, Resubmit woulda been nicer, you're just out to spite me because I submitted so many compositions recently T_T.

Anyways, I dig this song and I hope it gets accepted.

i know i know........ not supposed to rework submissions after submitting but i thought the bass was too loud and there was a high frequency "ding" or two in the last one... i already told the judges but it would be cool if youall told me if it sounds good for reassurance! thanks!!

oh and all you mixers and newbs keep up the good work. oc remixers are the best musicians on the planet!!

thanks for the feedback

• 2 weeks later...
so judges didnt think my song was beefy enough in some parts

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14375

I submitted it and got a resub... but thats good i guess, at least they didnt tell me to give up!

If anyone has any ideas how to make this song stronger please let me know..

thanks!!

I have yet to get resubs, so don't feel that down...there's remixers worse off than you. I'll listen to your mix later.