Translator wanted for Japanese OCR-related article

lazygecko

OCremix is fairly well known in digital musical groups in Japan from what I understood (remixers there tend to host their own material and don't have collaborative sites like this) from the guy I spoke to who coordinated the Celestia Project from a while ago in the requested interview I did.

I'm on it. My Japanese isn't great, but I've got a good idea what they're talking about, better than a babelfish or google translate. Editing the post as I translate it.

Overclocked Remix is a famous foreign game music remix site. Many professionals and amateurs share ideas there. For a long time' date=' we've seen new submissions and found exciting Sonic music. This is how I was introduced to the site. The music has a lot of merit, doesn't it? I like Sonic music because it goes beyond what most game music achieved for that time period. At the time, Uematsu and Mitsuda did the sound for NiGHTS. "Yabeekorekite!" (Note from Drack: I have no idea what that means). The Sega CD system produced even more. Masato Nakamura's music for Sonic 1 and 2 was good, but Sonic 3 & Knuckles's soundtrack was by far my favorite. In recent years, the famous Hataya, who performs vocals like Baniren or Supechan 5, produced the soundtrack for Sonic CD with a wonderful, melodious sound. Some game music fans produced tunes that resembled that of Yasunori Mitsuda, or "Evergreen"'s Hisashi Hataya. We love to see the community remix these tunes.

Here are some of their remixes we find interesting.

We recommend listening to this music with headphones.

------------------------------------------

Sonic the Hedgehog

Green Lane Avenue by AeroZ, Tepid

Green Hill Zone (Euroclub '95 Mix by Rayza

These are remixes of Green Hill Zone. I liked this and the music from Spring Yard Zone from the original.

For the first remix, since the tempo is slow, it feels fresh and new.

For the second mix, it's a trance mix that has a "Sonic R" or "Sonic Riders" feel, but still sounds like Rock.

LightningStar by JAXX

Remix of Star Light Zone. Nothing but good meaning. I like it.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Project Aquatic by Sadorf

Remix of Aquatic Ruin Zone

Aquatic Ruin zone and Chemical Plant zone were my personal favorites from the original. Thanks for mixing this, it doesn't disappoint!

Sonic CD

Saturday Night Speedway by Gecko Yamori

Collision Chaos Old School by Gecko Yamori

Satardust Beat by Gecko Yamori

I liked the tone of the original songs. The original songs were composed by Hataya and Ogata. (Ogata made a lot of music, including that for the Saturn game "EVE the Lost One." He was also a staff member for "Rez"). The game itself had a high difficulty but had great game music for its time. The game came on a CD-ROM and the music could also be played in a CD player.

By the way, searching the site is no longer unintelligible. (Note from Drack: I believe he's referring to the Japanese game names in OCR searches)

"Quartz Quadrant 'P' mix" and "Stardust Speedway 'G' Mix" are important songs to my life.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Walk on Water by housethegrate

Remix of Hydrocity Zone

Both ACT 1 and ACT 2 songs are present in this remix. These are some of my favorite tunes from Sonic 3. The ACT 2 portion has a more speedy feel to it. I really like this remix.

The remix captures the original's mood very well and covers most of the guitar's range.

Breaking the Ice by DigiE

Sonic glides down to Ice Cap Zone on a snowboard. This feeling is well represented in the beginning of this arrangement.

This trance remix feels like a dream. The arrangement of ACT 2's music has a great beat to it.

Launchface by Jivemaster

Elevator Music by Gecko Yamori (The "Media" page has the downloads)

The original song is Launch Base Zone. 今聞くとすんごくハマる曲なんですよね。ぱっと聴き二曲が同じ曲をアレンジしたものとは思えない相違っぷり。This arrangement in particular is one that may be hard to understand at first, but listen to the groove of this remix. This is not amateurish work at all!

Sonic & Knuckles

Dead Batteries by SnappleMan (The "Media" page has the downloads)

Catapult by Beatdrop

Perhaps you would be pleased with the music for Flying Battery Zone from Sonic & Knuckles.

The beginning of ACT 2 of the original songシビレまくり。

On top of that, the original song's atmosphere was preserved in the remixes.

HiddenPalace(MasterEmerald) by LeeBro

Remix of Hidden Palace Zone. This zone wasn't in the original game.

Sonic Adventure 2

Knuckles' Unknown from M.C. by Jos・the Bronx Rican

The original song was "Dive Into The Mellow ...for Aquatic Mine." It was a Knuckles stage with Rap music.のヒントとリンクしてたりで面白い作りになってたりします。でも英語なので解らないんですけどね(汗)"Deeper ...for Death Chamber" "Space Trip Steps ...for Meteor Herd" の2stepぶりも好きです。

We would like to give the remixers a very big "Thank You" for posting these songs!!

I'm working on my translation of it now. In the mean time, this is some pretty good work from Drack. Don't feel discouraged, but you're off on various places man. The "Knights of Sound" thing is classic! ^_^

I've only taken a semester and done some Kanji study over the vacation. I intended my translation to be a stopgap while someone with more expeience does a proper one. WWWJDIC really helped a lot in this regard, but I'm not surprised at all that there are some mistakes.

Hmm, was that supposed to be "Sound of NiGHTS"? Knights is what the silly google translate told me.

Hmm, was that supposed to be "Sound of NiGHTS"? Knights is what the silly google translate told me.

Yep, he's talking about the sountrack of NiGHTS. While you got that right, the video game nerd in me wants to punish you for

Baniren or Supechan 5

Granted, the first one is a little hard, but you could've gotten the second one.

Here's my translation of that document. What I've got is all correct, but I'm having a heck of a time with this guy's choice of words (especially the ones he made up) and haven't quite finished yet. Almost done though. I'll edit this post when I finally finish it. Actually, if anyone can help me figure out what the hell シビレレまくり (shibire makuri) means, I'd be eternally grateful.

Overclocked Remix is a famous foreign game music remix site. From pros to amateurs, people of all kinds are remixing. Going to the site for the first time in a long while, I see that lots of new contributions have been added. So in all my exitement over Sonic, I'd like to introduce my personal favorites to you.

I like the music in Sonic so much, that it's more than 50% of the reason I play Sonic games. "If it weren't for the groovy music, it wouldn't even be worth playing Sonic." At that time, even though I would always get excited when I heard Uematsu or Mitsuda, when I heard the music in Nights I was like, "Oh my god, this was made just for ME!" Since then I've been scavenging all over for Sega music CDs.

Masato Nakamura's music for Sonic 1 and 2 was good, but Sonic CD, Sonic 3, and Sonic and Knuckles are by far my favorites. Naofumi Hataya: The man who in recent years became famous with "Lovey!!" His vocal tracks in Burning Ranger and Space Channel 5 were wonderful but I'd rather listen to the melodic, club-like sound of Sonic CD. A long time ago I was a big fan of Yasunori Mitsuda, but the one that never loses its flavor is Naofumi Hataya.

When people listen to a remixed song, it becomes the common language of the world.

Most of these are by amateurs and I don't think they'll be all that great to you if you haven't heard the source tracks.

I recommend listening to these remixes with headphones.

Sonic the Hedgehog

Green Lane Avenue/AeroZ, Tepid

Green Hill Zone (Euroclub '95 Mix)/Rayza

These are remixes of the Green Hill Zone music. When it comes to Sonic 1, Green Hill and Spring Yard are my favorites.

The first one is a kind of slow fusion a fresh direction for Sonic music.

The second is like a Trance mix from WAY back in the day. It sounds more like Sonic R or Sonic Riders music than rock music.

LightningStar/JAXX

A Star Light Zone remix. I like the way it's full on Ska/Punk and sounds so "irresponsible."

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Project Aquatic/Sadorf

An Aquatic Ruin Zone remix.

Personally, my favorite from Sonic 2 is Chemical Plant Zone, but unfortunately there are no good remixes of that one on OCR.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG CD

Saturday Night Speedway/Gecko Yamori

Collision Chaos Old School/Gecko Yamori

Satardust Beat/Gecko Yamori

The tone of these are just like the originals.

The source tracks are by Naofumi Hataya and Mr. Ogata. (Ogata has done the music for Death Crimson 2 and a variety of hentai games among others, The only ones I know are EVE: The Lost One and REZ, for which he was a staff member.

I sort of felt like the difficulty of this game was high but the most admirable aspect of this game is the music. I can totally feel the era when I listen to this now, but back in the 1993, the glorious age of SFCs, I could hear these songs when I was young and was totally speechless. The medium is CD-ROM so try playing it in your CD player.

By the way, if you try to access the CD with your computer, it will make a bunch of whirring sounds and then a website will pop up. Man, foreign countries have EVERYTHING! Quartz Quadrant "P"mix and Stardust Speedway "G"Mix are the greatest pieces of game music of my life!

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Walk on Water/housethegrate

A Hydrocity Zone remix.

I like ACT1 but ACT2の疾走感がそれに輪をかけて大好きなステージ曲。

このステージかっこよくてやるたびに脳内シビレレまくり。This a guitar remix that stays true to the feeling of the original.

Breaking the Ice/DigiE

An arrangement of ICECAP ZONE, the level which starts off featuring Sonic on a snowboard. God damn! This the DREAM Trance remix! This is from ACT2 and I love the pumping beat.

Launchface/Jivemaster

Elevator Music/Gecko Yamori (You can download it from the media page.)

Originally the LAUNCH BASE ZONE music. Everything fits perfectly in this song. If you listen to these song before the originals you'd never know that

they are arrangements of two different tunes. Especially with Elevator Music, I couldn't tell what it was a remix of at first. But if you listen carefully, the groove will stick with you and you'll think, "This can't be the work of an amateur!" Launchface is a lot more like its original.

Sonic & Knuckles

Dead Batteries/SnappleMan (You can download it from the media page.)

Catapult/Beatdrop

FLYING BATTERY ZONE is the song that anyone whose played Sonic & Knuckles

原曲はACT2の出だしがシビレまくり。

The upper remix stays true to the atmosphere of the original

HiddenPalace(MasterEmerald)/LeeBro

A HIDDEN PALACE ZONE Remix. This isn't the kind of song you listen to just once.

Sonic Adventure 2

Knuckles' Unknown from M.C./Jos・the Bronx Rican

The source track is Dive Into The Mellow from the Aquatic Mine stage.

ちなみにナッコーのステージはラップがステージのヒントとリンクしてたりで面白い作りになってたりします。But it's all in English so I don't understand it. *sweats* [Deeper ...for Death Chamber]、[space Trip Steps ...for Meteor Herd]の2stepぶりも好きです。

Thanks a lot to the remixers who gave us these wonderful songs.

About this シビレまくり:

I think it is a compound of 痺れる and 捲る. 痺れる usually means "to become numb", but another meaning is "to be fascinated/enchanted", and 捲る is used as a verb-suffix to express that you're doing something excessively. So if you combine this, you get something like "get in a state of total bliss" or "to be blown away".