The "My Very First Song" Thread

Cree`

I started remixing dance tunes back when I was using Impulse Tracker, but don't recall doing much in the way of original work. That didn't start until I used FL.

My first original on FL 3 - caution: extreme panning ahead!

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/bluo/untitled_1

I tried to get more serious here.

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/nxtl/DarkDreamer

My first:

http://antipodemusic.googlepages.com/Antipode-Opaque.mp3

This was my very first completed project, made in FLStudio 4, back in 2004. It started out as a test to try a bunch of different styles in one. Without the direction this little thing gave me back then (primitive as it is), the stuff I make now would sound very different - check the link below my sig for a sample the most recent stuff I've done.

I've still never attempted to make or submit a remix, but I plan to before I finish the album I'm working on.

First attempted remix (failed. Shot down here, quicklike. 3-way collab. DJBren, ReaktorZer0, Me): http://www.escariot.net/nbots/Castlevania_Adventure_Stokers_Deathwish.mp3

Why was this shot down? I don't claim to be as up on my stuff as yon judges, but I can't hear a whole lot that would merit 1-2-3 rejection. Sample quality was probably one sticking point, and it could stand to be about half as long as it is now. But both of those could probably be fixed relatively easily and this could be resubmitted.

Pez:

Those are very basic synths, the texture is not exactly the most professional. A lot of parts sound too bare, whilst others sound too cluttered. Though the arrangement isn't too bad, it's not awesome enough to excuse the lack of dynamic contrast and weak drums. Big sticking part is the repetition in the bassline.

Sadly, these are all the same issues I have when mixing.

My first friggin' sucked. It was an appallingly bad piece I wrote 2 to 4 years ago... You should still be willing to suffer through a minute and 15 seconds or whatever. I suggest listening to it using the fonts that come standard with Windows Media Player a couple years ago, because the it sounds even more hideously terrible in Winamp and Quicktime.

http://freewebs.com/shmmusic/ntranced.mid

• 1 year later...

What was your first remix or melody that you created, What program and equipment did you use? How long did it take you? I'm just interested to see were every one started and how each of your styles differ, and maybe hear a little about your background and what kind of Video game music your into.

I'm just starting the melody creating/ remixing myself, and i have a HUGE collection of video game music at my disposal its just a passion of mine and remixing and creating my own is what im thriving for!

Your responses and discussion would boost my enthusiasm for this hobby even further.

Thanks in advance!

:-P

Did you really have to bump it ten minutes in? Anyways, the first song I ever produced was with GarageBand, created entirely out of preset loops and a sample of Ram Jam's "Black Betty". Oh, and it sucked.

EDIT: Damn Gollgagh ninja

Wow Ok.. my bad for bumping ...

but anyway, do you still have that first song you made?

dude, it's only been ten minutes since you posted this thread (well, twenty now)

this place isn't a freaking chat room, it's a forum where the time in between responses is often more than 15 minutes

be patient, jeez

Im... sorry?

Hey, welcome and get nice and cozy here in the forums. If you're looking for us to "motivate" you by giving you how we got started, you're going to be here for a LOOOONG time. Learn the ropes a little, ask questions, get help in the WIP forums (which, despite me being around almost five years I've only just started to use :tomatoface:) and get to work!

First tip: If you respond to multiple posts, use that nice little multiple quote button on the bottom-right before you hit post-reply. It makes it easier to keep threads organized if you know you're responding to multiple posts :)

Okay, so, my first remix? I was just talking about it earlier today, actually. I didn't start here, I started at another site called VGMix. The first remix I ever did was of the Final Fantasy Tactics - Pub track, and I did it pretty....unconventionally. I had three acoustic guitars the whole song while having a bunch of my friends loop over environmental/foley sounds and conversations to make it sound like a mariachi band playing in a pub. I'll try to PM you later with a link if you want to have a listen. Note: people can progress very far quickly, so a lot of older work for a lot of people here may sound very different. But I guess if you're looking for stuff to aspire to, and seeing how everyone got their start, here's a good place to start.

My first finished remix was a Tetris track made using Sibelius, exported as MIDI, put through Synthfont and then post edited in a sound editing program. This was just over a year ago now... Wow... Just read the old thread... Time certainly goes by quickly... I use FL now anyways.

It's difficult to actually say what my first ever mix was because a lot of mixes are experiments and never get anywhere, especially when starting out. I'm sure you're just after something to guage how good you are compared to everyone else before you start, but honestly, I found the best thing for me was to just post it on the WIP forums anyway. The criticism you get (and will inevitably get) there is extremely helpful.

Wait... You wanna listen to it? I might have an MP3 on a flash drive or something.

...and btw it's "WHERE did everyone start" not "WERE did everyone start" kthx

... :? Really dude lol,

:-PAnd sure I would like to hear it if you don't mind it at all.

Trackers. And not making use of the tracker-specific features. Stupid. And then garageBand. And then Logic. Guitar and Bass somewhere along the way. Mixing skills enhanced by listening to other ppl's works in progress.

Other people started with these.

Garage band, is that a Mac application?