The "My Very First Song" Thread

Cree`

Just letting you all know, there are already two threads dedicated to this topic, this one and this one. Look through them - you'll find many opinions on this very subject.

I don't have my very first remix on me, but I've got it lying around somewhere...

About how long did it take you to make your first one and what equipment/sofware did you use?

I started remixing back around the beginning of 2002. It was just me, Music Creator, and a free MP3 maker called CDex. The first song that I would call an actual remix (as opposed to just redoing the original song with "better" instruments), was Seiren's Destiny. I kept doing it up until around September of 2004, when I took a rather long hiatus from remixing, as I had begun to feel like I was wasting my time for various reasons.

These days, I don't do too many remixes. When I do, it's still just me, the same copy of Music Creator, and that same free MP3 maker. The last two remixes I did were Mari-O-Round, (a remix of the merry-go-round song from Mario 64) and A Few More Miles To Go (a remix of the ending theme from Arcus Odyssey), both of which were done last year.

Not sure how much growth the two periods show, but there it all is.

First mix was a blend of Pollyanna from Mother/EarthBound Zero and the story theme from Yoshi's Island, made with modplug tracker.

It sucked.

First mix that didn't suck was a blend of Gathering Stars in the Night Sky from Xenogears and Desperado by the the Eagles. It was made with noteworthy composer, synthfont, audacity, and a lot of help from prizm and the prophet of mephisto.

Right now I use Sonar.

EDIT:

This was my first attempt at a ReMix. (note that the word "this" is a link to a posted remix)

Shut up, sixto, nobody likes you.

First mix was a blend of Pollyanna from Mother/EarthBound Zero and the story theme from Yoshi's Island, made with modplug tracker.

It sucked.

First mix that didn't suck was a blend of Gathering Stars in the Night Sky from Xenogears and Desperado by the the Eagles. It was made with noteworthy composer, synthfont, audacity, and a lot of help from prizm and the prophet of mephisto.

Right now I use Sonar.

EDIT:

What program did you use?

My first extensive attempt is a Terra mix that I'm still in the process of trying to get working so I can learn enough to do more songs at a higher level (and to repeat ad infinum). I'm working with Logic Pro - I have a Mac Pro, and I keep my recreational usage to another powerful desktop that I have so that the Mac Pro's power is almost exclusively for my music endeavors (as well as some work related stuff).

I haven't worked terribly hard on it so far to be honest. It's a bit disheartening to see that it takes many recordings to get somewhat into the swing of things. I'm largely criticizing myself for timing issues so far, but it seems like it takes a lot of practice & drive, so I'm going to have to man up and keep at it.

It sucked.

Right now I use Sonar.

EDIT:

What program did you use?

Programs used in bold

My first video game remix (and second production overall) was a remix of this track. Actually, it wasn't exactly a remix, but more of an attempt to recreate the song by ear. This was back in 2003 and I was using FL Studio 4.x. (I can't remember the exact version.) I believe it took me a couple days to complete it. I was into making cheesy-sounding dance music back then. I don't have it anymore, but I'm sure Sadorf does. I'll provide a link if he has it.

In the very beginning I mostly made stuff with funny/stupid sounding vocalsamples with a 4/4 bassdrum on the background. Just messing around in Impulse Tracker and having a few laughs. That stuff was just supposed to sound stupid and had no real "musical effort" so I don't think it really counts as my very first songs.

One of the first songs where I really tried to create actual music instead of random madness would be this one : http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00145/. All the way back from 2000. OCR was quite different back then. Actually, kinda strange that this mix is still on this site. But we all have our history. Yay.

Lava Lava Is awesome dude. Did you download your own Vsts?

I'm 95% sure everything I used in there was from darkesword's soundfont page. So I had some nice sounds; I just didn't know how to work with them very well.

Not that I do now either.

So, would you like to hear my very first song song or some junk I clicked together in 2003 that sounded like popes on crack?

Go with both.

This WAS my very first VGM arrangement; production is fairly lacking since I think all the samples combined fit in like 3-4MB of space, but at the time it was exactly what I wanted: an orchestral version of the PSIII opening theme. I'm not even sure I knew commercial VGM arrange OSTs *existed* at the time, but I wanted that specific melody in a form I could control, with orchestral instrumentation, so that's what I set about creating. I had so much fun I decided to do Shinobi next, and that's pretty much the beginnings of this site, right there...