Any co-op games coming out?

Argitoth

Can you name any PC games? There's plenty of co-op games for consoles and there's plenty more coming out, no need to discuss thems. Co-op on PC via LAN or WAN is way more fun than console IMO (and I don't own any consoles). Just that I'm behind in the gaming world so I was wondering if any of you have heard news of a good PC co-op game coming (or already out, and not too old)

Left 4 Dead looks to me like the worst attempt ever at a zombie game: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24569.html (gameplay vid)

Looks like all you do is run around and hold the fire button. There's no carefully placed shots, there's no hiding and sneaking, there's no feeling of limited ammo, there's no feeling of survival. The video clearly shows that you can get bit many times without much penalty and you and the zombies run around like olympic runners 100% of the time. Left 4 Dead will not be worth playing, period.

Left 4 Dead looks to me like the worst attempt ever at a zombie game: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24569.html (gameplay vid)

Looks like all you do is run around and hold the fire button. There's no carefully placed shots, there's no hiding and sneaking, there's no feeling of limited ammo, there's no feeling of survival. The video clearly shows that you can get but many times without much penalty and you and the zombies run around like olympic runners 100% of the time. Left 4 Dead will not be worth playing, period.

Aww, reading the wikipedia page made it sound like an incredibly innovative game, but that gameplay video throws it all out the window (for all the reasons you said). Looks like a typical Quake/Unreal multiplayer shoot 'em up, except everyone's faster =(

It's because I don't live near to them. Co-op is not that great if you play with random people on the internet.

I'll check it out!

Edit: Naa, dood. That game was released in 1999. It's really time for something new.

Discounting a game based on its age is like discounting a person for the country he comes from.

And many of the patches fix some of the graphics, too, before you mention that.

it seriously looks like gauntlet with zombies and in 3d.

That reminds me, Zombie Panic Source came out yesterday... I need to try it.

Discounting a game based on its age is like discounting a person for the country he comes from.

Welp, I'm the kind of person who looks forward to new age games that make use dynamic lighting and destructible environments to add a new level of emotional content (such as realistic weather and day/night cycles) that was previously impossible to do.

It's because I don't live near to them. Co-op is not that great if you play with random people on the internet.

I'll check it out!

Edit: Naa, dood. That game was released in 1999. It's really time for something new.

Hence why I said grab yourself the latest patches from the website - it includes a high-def texture pack, a higher-poly-models pack, etc.

Seriously, it's worth getting - BioShock simply did not live up to what System Shock 2 started. SS2 is from the era when Looking Glass Studios still graced us with their presence.

That said, Crysis <3

Aww, reading the wikipedia page made it sound like an incredibly innovative game, but that gameplay video throws it all out the window (for all the reasons you said). Looks like a typical Quake/Unreal multiplayer shoot 'em up, except everyone's faster =(

What are you talking about. That trailer makes it looks great. I can't wait.

I don't mean to get into two arguments, but...

What are you talking about. That trailer makes it looks great. I can't wait.

That video makes it look like a game where all you do is run around and shoot zombies like "WHEE let's see who can kill the most zombies!!" These ones look a bit better:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24567.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24559.html

Seems as if they wanted zombies that run at you so you have to gun them down immediately, rather than slow zombies that you have to pump full of bullets. I guess so you have to watch your partners' backs way more carefully, especially when they're "reloading!". The atmosphere looks like crap though.

And System Shock 2 is possibly the best game you will ever play. Even if it's not, it will probably create one of the best gaming experiences you will ever experience. I like all the "new" stuff too, and sometimes SS2's graphics are so bad that it's comical... but when you're playing, you don't even notice what it looks like. Also those geniuses managed to make the audio way better than most games today. Actually, the graphics are pretty much the only thing in SS2 that's NOT better than most games today. Don't even think of looking at screenshots to get an idea of the game. (Actually stay away from SS2 screenshots altogether, they generally have spoilers.) I've only played SS2 in single player, but I've heard very good things about co-op. I might just have to download those patches and play through it again...

I'm wondering, how do the patches cause decreased difficulty? (and please no spoilers in this thread!) Is it something that upping the Difficulty Level can't fix?

And System Shock 2 is possibly the best game you will ever play.

Arrite, i'll have to take another look then.

Also, watch this commentary vid on Left 4 Dead: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24756.html

Some of the comments make Left 4 Dead seems like a great game but I'm still disappointed that the action is fast, jerky, and unrealistic. It prohibits the game from doing some cool scenarious such as being lost in a big dark building with only a small flashlight to guide you. Using your ears will help you stay away from zombies. What is stopping Left 4 Dead for doing a scenario like that is that there's only a split second from the time a zombie appears to the time it's already attacking you.

It would be better if there were few fast zombies, a good amount of jogging-speed zombies and lots of slow hard-to-kill zombies so that there would also be the scenario of being surrounded and having a small window of time to come up with an innovative way to escape. With Left 4 Dead, you don't have time to think.

Seems like in Left 4 Dead there's no time to think, no time to plan out your next move. In a good co-op experience, you aren't just killing something before your friend gets hurt. It's also cooperation to give your input on strategy and operation.

I'm playing some co-op games with my friends now, but i don't know if you already tried them. Anyway the games that I'm playing now are Doom 3 (opencoop 1.1) and half life 2 (co-op MOD). those are the main FPS games but you could also try SWAT 4 or Rainbow Six Las Vegas. If you are looking for strategy games I would recommend Warcraft 3 (TFT) or C&C 3. Me and some guys from school are playing Age of Empires 2, also pretty cool. If you like the RPG elements in games then Dungeon Siege 2 might be a good one. Or if you want to go oldschool you could download a SNES emulater and play secret of mana with friends or something like that. It's a shame that many great single player games for the PC don't have co-op modes.

Did some "research" today, looks like the upgraded graphics mods for System Shock 2 really aren't that good... I have to say, I'd stay away from the mods that update the models ("Rebirth", and "Rebirth Complemented" which is slightly better than the former). Some of the updated models look much less scary than the originals (and very out of place in the low-poly environment). Also the updated texture pack (SHTUP) only updates some of the textures, making the high-res textures look quite out of place, and some of the low-res textures look REALLY out of place. If ALL the graphics are 1999-style, you probably won't notice nearly as much ;)

My recommendation: just get the latest OFFICIAL SS2 patch. I don't know what it does, but I'm pretty sure that's what I used =)

I was watching Youtube videos on System Shock 2, I just can't see how it's a fun game. As a matter of fact I'm not going to take anyone's suggestions on co-op games. The fact of the matter is that there's very few games with a co-op mode in the original (non-modded) version. Until a copmany creates a game centered around co-op in an intelligent way then it won't really be worth the time. I might actually check out Left 4 Dead since it was created for co-op and it might be fun in hidden ways (ways that the videos can't reveal).

Yeah, I'd imagine SS2 videos must look awful - the FPS elements are pretty basic, and definitely not the game's highlight. Actually, watching someone else play through it with no input would probably look pretty boring too. I don't like RPGs very much, but there are a TON of RPG elements and inventory/ammo management that make it great. Aside from the fact that it's scary as hell, the highlight for me was the how insanely open-ended and exciting the exploration was.

But I can't blame you for not listening to random people on an internet forum ^_^

I'll check it out!

Umm, I played it like a year ago and it was amazing. Why in the world does the year matter? The best games ever made were well before 1999, back when companies didn't water shit down to appeal to the masses to recoup their $10M investment.