lavos sketch

DrumUltimA

Noticed a crash at 0:34 that sounds a bit lo-fi and a bit too hard panned.

1:45 What happen? Something's clashing. The piano doesn't match the organ, doesn't sound good.

The medley-itic section seems to be better. Either because I found other things to point out, or because you've fixed something.

4:04. This... IS...! CLUTTERED!! (I actually haven't seen 300 - yet - but it just felt like an appropriate tone.) Don't take the tone too seriously, but reduce clutter a bit. Too much going on, so leave out one of the instruments, one that doesn't mesh with the others' rhythms.

4:17 feels compressed and the crash could last longer.

4:32, soften the lead. Seriously. Let it return to its normal state at 4:41.

Panning of the lead is really hurting my ears. I think I know the effect you're going for but the execution is painful. I coined the word earmurderness in another wip reply, I think it applies to the panning. If you've got two leads each panned hard to either side, don't pan them so hard. If it's some kind of stereo split plug-in, drop the effect level a bit.

Also, during its long note that ends at 5:36, the soundscape changes too drastically when it ends, and again when it continues. Drop the level and/or make it less earmurderness-y.

That's what I got now. This belongs on ocr, but needs to be less painful to listen to.

Here's another version, this includes some stuff zircon reccomended on IRC. Tell me what ya'll think

http://drumultima.googlepages.com/lavossketch.mp3

Rozovian: I appreciate your comments, but there's some stuff (regarding the writing and the lead sound) that has too much significance for me to change. The writing is dissonant at points because i'm trying to bring out the contention between traditional, triadic chordal writing, with more avant guard, quartal writing superimposed on top of it. As for the lead synth, that sound is the center around which I wrote this piece. So in short, changing either of those would be very much cheating myself. If the judges don't like it, it's okay :)

oooooooooooooooooooooooooh, this is sounding a lot better.

I like that you messed with the sax to make it sound more lo-fi. Before it had this kind of "in between" (as far as sound quality goes) sound that was a little distracting.

the drums feel a lot better. the velocities on the cymbal hits sound a little too intense for me, but i'm on shitty phones right now so i'll need to listen on monitors to get a more accurate impression.

Oh no! You low-pass filtered the Bassline! I feel it drowns a bit, even on my high-end Phones... The sax mods are indeed good. The break after the drums at 1:50 is really cool done. As it steadily builds back up, it gives me an exiting feeling, and then the scream and solo organ... "Is this battle finally over?" crosses my mind... The slow-mo-ish build is really building tension in a good way. Then a soothing Piano break, followed by the in-your-face lead. Although it really comes in "loud", it does work very appealing IMO.

5:41 now: it kinda shrieked there for a second, with the lead playing such high notes.

Okay, that was al written while I was listening. Overal speaking, this has become a very interesting piece, with a lot going on. The "cluttered" joints (as mentioned in earlier replies here) really don't sound that dense at all. In fact, I find it quite hard to pull off this kind of traverse methods, so I believe you've done an excelent job. Going back and forth between the "heavy artillery" drums, and the easy, somewhat soothing intermezzo's makes the journey that this piece provides all worthwhile. Although I do believe you could give the last 20-30 seconds a tad more lovin' (or so to speak), it does add up as a nice finale. As I mentioned in the start of my reply, bring back just a little upper-band to the bassline, just enough to keep it more clearly in the foreground since it goes bannanas and really sets the mood in the beginning.

Anyways, Excelent piece, Excelent arrangement, Very interesting use of "simple" samples and of course some kick ass drums to boot! Big Thumbs up for this!