Metroid Manga

Gafgarion

It's a very old promotional piece that was probably available in some Japanese magazine a long time ago. I recall reading a version that was published online somewhere, but I have no idea where that was.

Regardless, it's not what you may be thinking in terms of a $10 manga tank sold at the bookstore (Legend of Zelda, however, had loads of those).

I used to read the Super Metroid comics in Nintendo Power, but never dealt with the manga.

http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/reader.php?d=sm/np_comics

Samus also appeared in the Captain N comic adaptation.

Hah, talking Ridley! The dialog here reminds me the Ninja Turtles cartoon ^_^

http://mdb.classicgaming.gamespy.com/reader.php?m=c&d=sm/np_comics&i=8&s=false

Anyway, when we had the Metroid Fan Art competition, I saw the Metroid page on Wikipedia had a link to this "Official Japanese Metroid manga" (in Japanese), which is almost definately what eternal Zero is talking about. I can't read it.... but it has sound effects and animation!! and judging by your sig, you've probably already found it...?

http://kodansha.cplaza.ne.jp/e-manga/club/manga/metroid/vol01/

Wow, they made talkin' Ridley look so badass!!

oh, here's volume 2:

http://kodansha.cplaza.ne.jp/e-manga/club/manga/metroid/vol02/

Why is that?

Also, English:

http://www.mechadrake.com/metroidmanga.html

Hmm, my Metroid lore is hazy, but wasn't the Mother Brain more of the "I can control an army of Metroids with my gigantic brain!" guy than a "leader" guy? I think I read it in one of the instruction manuals. Maybe the English Magna with shed some light on that....

[Edit]

Volume 2 was pretty interesting, now I'm making my way through volume 1. To anyone else reading it: remember to read the bubbles from RIGHT to LEFT, or you might get a little confused!

So, hmm, speaking of canon, does anyone know if the manga IS canon? I'm having a tough time slogging through it and would like to know if I'm wasting my time.

As for Ridley, I've always thought of him as a field commander, leader in absentia of the Mother Brain, Dark Samus, or some other mastermind.

Yep, everything syncs up to the story in the Metroid Prime instruction manual. Also, I remember that Chozo guy is in a cutscene or picutre somewhere in Zero Mission, and also kid Samus. I think it's safe to assume it's canon. Regardless, the portraits it paints of the Chozo and human societies are quite interesting. Wow, I sure like wasting time today =D

And yeah, it's annoying to read there, especially without any "next" and "back" buttons. Good luck getting a printed copy in English though - seems the guy took screenshots of the Flash version and replaced the text.

[Edit]

And Gafgarion, no offense towards your sig skills, but.... that's about the worst drawing of Samus in the whole magna (which is completely excusable, seeing as how you made the thread so you could actually FIND the rest of it). Also it's a really big square.

(But with the sig I've got now, I shouldn't be one to talk....)

LOL I just did a Google search for 'metroid magna'; the sixth result is me talking about it in this thread XD

Metroid Manga - OverClocked ReMix Forums

Metroid Manga Community. ... Maybe the English Magna with shed some light on that....

[Edit] Volume 2 was pretty interesting, now I'm making my way through ...

Thanks Google you've made my day!

Google search for "metroid magna" in quotes yields TWO results. The top one:

Metroid Manga - Page 2 - OverClocked ReMix Forums

LOL I just did a Google search for 'metroid magna'; the sixth result is me talking about it in

this thread XD. Quote:. Originally Posted by Google ...

This amuses me to no end.

So does that cat.

Wow, I didn't predict this topic would go even this far.

I have seen some of the comics that some of you posted, and have read them, but wasn't sure if they made any manga. I think it would be amazing if Nintendo had an alternate publishing company and just published manga, or comics about their games. I think that would be amazing, and profitable on their part.

http://metroidrecon.planets.gamespy.com/comics/metroidemanga.php

Thats the whole thing, just in case you are interested.

And like mentioned before, it was a animated comic released a while back, I can't remeber how long ago. It takes place before the events of the first Metroid as a means to give some back story for the games.

The link I gave you is of the translated still manga. I don't remeber where to find the original japanese animated one. Also, I believe it is officialy canon as it was originally published on the official Japanese Metroid website.

There's the one that was online as most mentioned here, that was probably the best one. I wouldn't be surprised if it were made into a traditional comic you can at least download somewhere, I'll try to find it.

There was also this other comic I saw at a Japanese book store once, it looked like serialized Shonen manga like something you'd find out of those big thick monthly manga books (mostly for the kids stuff.). It had this pretty generic hotblooded young boy and from what I can make out...it was about him following Samus around on some adventure. It was kind of tough to make out what was going on, but the manga itself wasn't anything to scream about. It was very very Shonen manga, complete with mano a mano fights in big random wasteland areas, and Samus talked a lot. It just didn't fit. And Samus had more than a couple of "kinda cool" panels in there...