OCR00893 - Final Fantasy VI "Smooth Alexander"

djpretzel

wellll beginning was coming along nicely, sounded like some of QF's other stuff until i caught a couple of *eh* sounding notes. maybe its just me, but a couple notes werent sounding too nice for me.

besides that, sounds pretty good, dunno what else to say =X djp pretty much sums it up nicely. now that i listen to it more, the notes are fitting a little better. give it a try

Quinn couples his synthlike ambience with a jazzy touch. The synths and pads are all perfect, with drums that ooze flavor. The recording and mixing is also a notch above quinn's normal releases. I've had this for some months now and I've yet to tire of it. I have nothing to really complain about. This is what Quinn mixes are all about. If you're unfortunate enough not to have heard of QF, I highly recommend grabbing this and mamabrain. Smashing work by any standard.

A seem to remember Quinn mentioning that she is actually a FEMALE... am I just crazy?

Anyway, Quinn is probably my favorite remixer on here, and it's nice to see a different approach taken... This kind of seems to me what the FFVI battle theme would sound like if it was in Phantasy Star II, which is appropriate considering Quinn's remixing history. That said, this one just doesn't strike me QUITE as much as QF's other mixes... Maybe I'm just a sucker for Phantasy Star mixes. I DO really dig the part starting at 1:50. Very smooth. Keep up the good work! You're mixes are always a delight to listen to!!

:!::?:

Just to set the record straight should anyone hinge on a doubt...

MALE.

With that out of the way, just want to say "thanks" to those who are listening, and double thanks for the encouraging words. While doing FF6 is fun, I'm back in Phantasy Star mode now. Hope I can still manage to do it some sort of justice, that legendary Phantasy Star series......

Cheers to all Phantasy Star fans, everywhere.

~Quinn

I don't usually post on the boards, I hang out in the IRC channel (I'm lifeless, hohohoh)...I just gotta say that this is my favorite remix so far out of all of Quinn Fox's that I've heard. Turning the FF6 battle music into groovitacious ear candy...oh man, I can't turn it off!!!!

Good job on this. :D

I like the effort and everything put into this, it's very different from a lot of the stuff I hear around here...but, for some reason, some parts of it sorta reminds me of elevator music. o.O Just can't get into it that much, sorry. (I feel bad for posting a bad review... sorry ^_^;) There WERE a few parts I did like though! Ambient stuff, very cool.

There's a few wierd notes in there, but otherwise, it's an excellent remix. I can't really say much more than that, but an example of those wierd notes would be 00:30 - 00:45. I don't know if that was the intent, but they don't seem to fit in. I was thinking perhaps you wanted to depart from the original, and it does, but it's... strange.

Otherwise, good job. 8/10.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Hmm... interesting Battle Theme take...

However, despite my few new excursions into the jazzy area (thanks to JigginJonT), I don't think this even fits with jazz too well. It's too fast for jazz, and the jazz is too relaxing for an adrenaline-pumping song...

Now I can see where this would be good, especially to others who appreciate this branch even more than I do...

But as far as I go... not my personal cup of tea...

Good work, though I can't dig it like others...

Keep composing!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

There needs no genius to say that this IS smooth, can´t just understand the resemblance between this and Alexander (an Esper). Meh, not that important.

As this says, this was a SMOOOOOTH remix from Quinn, a nice touch of jazz, he has taken away the tempo and stress that follows with the original and creates somethin´ with extra chill-stuff. Nice, Quinndude.

• 2 years later...
This is pretty kickin'. I'm loving the sounds. I agree with you, Pretz, you can barely tell this is battle music. I love how the song is so familiar, yet so new. That's what I look for in remixes. Very well done. Good job, Quinn.

Yeah, definitely agreed here. Dunno why I never posted on this one. I liked stuff like "Lobby Static" and "mode serpent" a bit more, but this one was still excellent. If the volume had been louder, that would have helped. Otherwise, excellent arrangement, and nice sound choices contributing to a beautiful texture.

• 7 months later...

The percussion on this one is crazy good, and the synths aren't too shabby either. The feel is completely new, and I really like it. The sounds mesh together great, and though a few samples could stand to be upgraded, like the flute, it all works out. It's rare to hear a remix that's both driving yet laid back, but this one hits that target dead on.

My one real complaint though is the somewhat weak ending- seemed a little out of place to have such a strong and varied track have an ending that just sortof died. Still great stuff.

• 6 months later...

Ah, Quinn Foxreturns to a more chilled sound, however, I can hear the influences from his Zelda track in here concerning the drums/percussion work. A very interesting collection of rhythms. The drums drive the track in a DnB manner, but most all of the instrumental work is relaxed. In a way, Quinn made this track in a very cinematic manner when comparing it to today's film composers. Awesome! I love how the bass still remains chilled out and in that pocket. The trumpet is a little overly synthetic, but it works pretty well. I really love the flute! Excellent track Quinn. You took the best chill elements of you past mixes and combined it with the cool percussion from your Zelda track! Wonderful work!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00893 - Final Fantasy VI "Smooth Alexander"