Headphone Recommendations

Jacomus

I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pros that have served me nicely, and I know there are some others on OCR who have these (as well as another friend of mine), and all give these headphones a thumbs up.

http://astore.amazon.com/overclocked02-20/detail/B000065BPB/105-8630470-5082840

or if you want a different color, http://astore.amazon.com/overclocked02-20/detail/B000165FRQ/105-8630470-5082840

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3483

Sort of out of the way, and most people don't even go in that part of the forums... so I'm not surprised if you didn't know about it.

Maybe it needs to be moved to Help and Newbies or something?

To be fair, he's not necessarily asking for headphones for remixing.

But you're right, I should've moved this.

Well, it depends on what you're looking for in a headphone. Do cheap ones satisfy you? What about comfortable wear, build quality, sound quality? What are you hooking them up to? How often do you listen on headphones? Do you travel a lot?

In my personal opinion, as a balance between them all, noise cancellation, build quality, sound quality, etc....the Sennheiser 280 Pros are a great buy, which run around $100. They aren't exactly cheap, but they are totally worth it once you have them. They aren't in ear, on ear, or tiny headphones. Also, make sure you aren't the type of person that throws things down, breaks things, or leave them at a party to get stolen. ;-)

If you're a REAL audiophile, look at the Sennheiser HD590, HD600, or the king shit of the universe HD650's. However, they're open-air, and won't cancel out noise as well, but they'll sound better hands down. The AKG K701 is also an amazing headphone..top tier. Keep in mind these are all REALLY pricey headphones. They're an investment. Although, you can get really satisfactory prices on them from ebay. Screw MSRP.

Also, on high-end headphones, you benefit more with a headphone amp, but those can run even more money. I'm not sure what your budget is, and how important headphones are. If you ARE indeed a casual listener, the a $50-$70 headphone would most likely be more than enough the quality you're wanting. However, I'm also giving you information on products that maybe you didn't know much about. Finding out that BMW's and Lexus's exist when you've been driving a Honda Civic all your life can change a lot in what you want in a car.

Check out www.headphone.com for lots of awesome information about headphones with all budgets in mind. It's a great site, and I read it a lot. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Side note: "Around the ear" headphones are much more comfortable than "on ear". The HD280 Pros are around the ear.