Ableton Live?

In the sense that they're both DAWs, Live is similar to Cubase, but the work-flow is little bit different. Live is set up to make it easy to run an actual performance with it, so it has some on-the-fly arrangement capabilities. I think Live Lite is limited to four audio tracks, or something like that. Since you've already got it, you may as well install it and try it out.

I've used both cubase and live and I like live much better. The layout is more user friendly and I find it easier to organize my audio and midi tracks in live, also I like the way it implements re-wire more than the way cubase did. However, I was using an older version of cubase and I know they've made a lot of improvement since. Both are capable of pretty much the same thing but just a different layout. That is why I chose live in the end because it can obviously be used to perform live much better than cubase. All that being said, it really is a matter of preference. A good portion of my friends who are professionals swear by cubase while others swear by live so the only thing I can say is give them both a try and find out what you like and don't like about both.

I got an M-Audio MIDI-Keyboard for christmas, and there's a program in the bundle called Live. Or, Live Lite, really. I've looked it up on wikipedia, and it looks pretty nice. Do you guys have any knowledge about it? I mean, I'm just starting out, and I'm using Cubase. How is Live compared to Cubase?

Completely different. Live, unlike most other sequencers comes with a really nice manual and a bunch of tutorials, and they've got videos on the site too.

I switched from Cubase (SX3) to Live and I'm happy with it - I haven't upgraded to version 7 yet.

I also purchased an M-audio midi keyboard (Axiom 61), so I got live lite aswell, by the time I actually got my keyboard I had already familiarized myself with FL studio so I went with that instead, but since it comes with lite, I'd try it out and if you like it maybe get the whole version, lite is like an upgraded demo, but gives a really good taste of the program as it can do almost as much, just limited in a few areas.

i have to say live is the absolute best daw out there. live lite is really limited, but give it a shot... you might dig it. the ease and speed that live gives you is unparalleled... i know everyone here sweats fruity, but live smokes it all the way.

i know everyone here sweats fruity, but live smokes it all the way.

Oooo, dangerous ground there.

Not saying I disagree though.....;-). I kid, I kid.

Just wanted to say that I also use Live. It has done some wonderful and amazing things. It really is a brilliant DAW and for live events, it can be a godsend! I use it for DJing and theatre productions.

However, don't get me wrong, Cubase is excellent too. Hell, Harry Gregson-Williams uses Cubase, and that's almost enough reason for me to switch to it full time :)!!

But like everyone has said, try it and see what you think.

I've never heard anything but positive comments about Live, and that's more than I can say for any other popular DAW, including of course Cubase.

I have Live Lite but I've never bothered to try it, primarily because I heard from what I consider a reliable source, Sound On Sound, that the Lite version doesn't support remote midi control. Ableton only says that Lite doesn't support MIDI sync, but that's not the same thing as not being able to receive and use controller data, right? All of my music equipment is in boxes right now so I can't go try it out, but can anyone confirm or refute what the SoS article says?

...a lite version of Live is included free with the keyboard. However (and this confused me at first), this version doesn't support any form of remote MIDI control, and therefore the instructions don't apply. This isn't exactly joined-up thinking if its inclusion was supposed to demonstrate the power of the Axiom!