Doom Forever! (Final Doom Remix)

vr_jadison

Good day!

Well, I got a new Remix. It is the fifth out of my album. (Which is going on very slowly.) Here is the data:

Title: Doom Forever! (Final Doom Remix)

Album: The Unrecognized Powers

Remixed song: TNT Map08 (tnt_ddtblu)

Genre: Maybe "SynthRock"? =)

Download sources:

- My Profile at FileFront (192 kbps): http://hosted.filefront.com/VrJadison

- My Homepage, if FF does not function (96 kbps): http://freenet-homepage.de/vultracide/_p_Data/_p_a_The_Unrecognized_Powers.html

Here are some facts that are good to know about this song:

- The song is made from the scratch

- Intro and final part are my work, middle is copied original song (but better 8))

- Part of main part and part of final part are underlaid by a strong bass beat that makes the song groove a bit like house or techno. (Not really recognizable without a subwoofer.) The regular percussion is not harmed through it and it's base drum can be heard all the time.

- The beginning and the intro of the final part are underlaid with a strange synthetic bass-hammering. That is NOT a sound failure, so don't be surprised or shocked.

- It feels great to massacre some demons with this background music! =D

What do you think of it?

Thanks for checking out the track!

PauL.

Certainly not the kind of music you hear everyday. I don't know what it is you're trying to achieve, really, but there are some really weird chords and stuff going on, in addition to the rather mental synths you're using. I think you should turn the whole thing down a little, it's too loud sometimes (overload/overdrive? What's it called?). Either that or my speakers suck. Anyway, pretty interesting, but probably works better as background music than as something you'd listen to for pleasure. :<

This is hot shit, man! And that's saying a lot, coming from me.

Really cool stuff, little I can nitpick about. It's not repetitive, it's all good sounds in both quality and usage. The intro felt a bit newbish before I realized it's a style choice to use sharp synths. Drums could need some more work, tho, there's lots of crashes in the background, and the crashes could be longer, too.

But overall, it's great! If you submit this, the judges would have a great example of simple sounds and amzing arrangement. That is, unless it's all copy-pasted directly from someone's midi. I can't comment on source/interpretation, but I can say I like this a lot. :)

Its pretty well put together composition wise, I only have a couple things to suggest: I agree with Dafydd there is some parts that distort quite a bit, making it sound a little less polished, During some of the louder sections mainly, the drums get a little fuzzy.

Some of the crazier sections get a little mushed together, a lot of distorted sounds, I think that relates to what Dafydd was saying about weird chords. Spacing the sounds out over the stereo spectrum might help clear that up a bit, like panning them slightly left and right, sounds like they are all panned in the middle. Distorted sounds can be cool, but don't overlap too many sounds that are similar in texture. If you use too many 5th based sounds that can get a bit crazy chord wise as well, l although the notes you use might work in the chord its hard to say what the extra 5ths in the sounds might be adding to the chord. I find that 5th based sounds don't often work well with chords.

The drums do sound a bit buried in the mix. Maybe a bit thin, if that makes any sense...I'm not sure if that's because of the samples your using. You lose some of that deep kick sound when you have too many other instruments sharing those lower frequencies.

I have a hard time figuring out exactly what the bass is playing in that song, but I'm not that familiar with this style so this could be normal.

Other than that though, Its sounds good, keep polishing it up, I'd say it could be worthy of a spot on OC Remix.

@All

Thanks for your comments, for they honour me very much; doesn't matter if negative or positive, because your words show the feelings I knew the song would evoke in it's listeners.

I got one important question:

The summit and moment of high feelings that I invented for this song is the final part with the 80's-guitar-like downstairs-solo part. (Beginning at end of 2:07) It symbolizes the main achievement in the glorious battle scenes that I recommend to imagine to this track. (Doom story contents and so on...) How do you find it? Because I really love it! It's the sparkling orgasm of the track... And once in action, music keeps pushing the listener to another level with every second passed.

@Dafydd

"some really weird chords and stuff going on" - Yes, you are certainly right. To describe the song in a metaphor or scene, I wanted it to be like going into the heart of the battle zone, smashing things out there while combat becomes lesser and then again harder.

I know the song is lightly overdone and very penetrant to ears of the especially new listener, but although I know it's beauty may keep undiscovered in most cases, I cannot calm things down and destroy the soul of this doom-song.

I listen to my song only for pleasure, never for background music. =D It always takes my full concentration. (Do not wonder, I am the author, so thats not really an argument)

The smiley is wisely chosen and very funny!

@Rozovian

It prooves not to be repetetive because I try to cut my songs down to a primary message of feelings I want to deliver to listeners. This message cannot be compressed nor expanded, for this would make it be untrue.

I know the intro takes much getting used to, but in knowledge of the full song, I hope it makes sense afterwards at the latest.

Like I stated in the introduction post, this song is made from the scratch, only using the original midi as an example. Interpretation firstly takes place in the overall rougher, harder but more dynamic soundstyle compared to the original soundtrack; and then in the intro and final part, which I am proud having developed by myself.

The original song begins at 0:47 and ends at 1:51, whick makes 1:04 of 2:44 for the original track-loop. (Background: The game music was played repeatedly until end of level - you know, like almost always in old games...)

Copy and paste is an absurd procedure someone like me would never use or use in only ways not worth mentioning.

@sigareth

Yes, things disort a bit when all synths (mostly two or three of the same type as things are constructed) are playing simultaneously. Polish is missing, that is why I wouldn't post this one to the judges: Even if it would be taken (which I do not belive at least in matters of sound quality), the song would be a freak under calmly and smoothly sounddesigned songs.

I do not really think the drums are buried, furthermore they are somewhat rather peacefully co-existing to the techno-drums in my opinion, because this both basebeats don't share all of the same frequency, but I agree that most people surely will be disgusted by their penetrant nature, infiltrating the song's basic idea of being an instrumental rock song.

There is no stereo in this song. =D=D=D (shhhhhht: secret!) Hope this does not let you loose too much respect of it.

After the synths were making a revelution by noise and claimed the listener's full concentration (very legitimate in this track), I recognized snairs and cymbal-crashes eventually being more important anyone would ever think. So I made the choice to let the percussion being pushed into background, when synths wanna hit the box.

Conclusive info:

- Every techno-beat (except one in the beat-loop) consists of a slyghtly quieter beat going ahead a moment before. So they are double-beats.

- A better version of the song will be available someday, but I don't know when. Could be months or even (this is what i believe) years... especially because the song is part of an slowly growing album that needs my 'artistic' (thats what I want to call it =D) attention.

- It is cool to know the original music, that will make the sight onto this song clearer and more conclusive/logical/convincing.

• 5 weeks later...

@Dafydd

Please show me some parts with weird notes. (Track time/interval) I did not include wrong notes intentionally nor do I think, that there exist parts with wrong notes playing.

Althoug I'm thinking you are really wrong in this case, I admit not being the god of music and therefore I'm really interested in your statement.

@All

PLEASE NOTE:

The 96kbps-version is not really good in quality and the music will have really scratchy sound regardless of sound system quality! The 192 kbps file from FileFront or especially my high bitrate wav-file that I listen to at home both have clear sound, only including 1 or 2 clicks that I could not eliminate and are occuring between realtime performed synth-samples. Example: The part ending at 0:31 to 0:32. (My computer seems not being the best to make clean files of tracks...)