Anime

Gafgarion

What shows? I honestly didn't see anything other than Death Note last year, mainly due to my bad history with anime. I've looked at a couple titles mentioned around here before (Haruhi, Azumanga) and didn't really get into them.

Edit:

I don't watch alot of old stuff, mainly because the artwork is not near as good as it is now.

I think as it is with American shows, anime looks a whole lot better now, but I feel like most if it is just nonsense compared to what was shown a couple decades ago.

What shows? I honestly didn't see anything other than Death Note last year, mainly due to my bad history with anime. I've looked at a couple titles mentioned around here before (Haruhi, Azumanga) and didn't really get into them.

Denno Coil won several anime awards in Japan for best of the year (I wouldn't go that far, but I liked it a lot). Baccano was really well done in a pseudo-American-comic style, Code Geass was like Death Note with robots and melodrama, ef is one of the most inventive romance anime I've ever seen, Minami-ke is like Azumanga Daioh on steroids (add Sketchbook and Potemayo if we're in that Azumanga-style comedy category), Zetsubo Sensei is probably the most frantic comedy I've seen, Shigurui is a creepy showcase of debauchery and death, Kaiji is the best showcase of the 'underdog versus organized crime' type of shows I've seen, etc etc. There were too many great shows in 2007.

Death Note, to me, is just another straight manga conversion that was still very well done (still one of the better shows of the year), but not exactly out of the left field or really inventive at all. That and the final story arc could've been done better starting from the manga itself.

For the record, I was making a comparison based on how FF7 is not nearly as good as anyone says it is.

I agree with this. I watched up until episode 30 or so and kind of stopped caring. Though it was a very different show than i thought it was going to be when i started watching.

Claymore is an awesome show, dunno if anyone recommended it. It's very Berserk-ish in more ways than one. Like Berserk the anime doesn't encompass the entire manga series and at the end of episode 26 there is no resolution. Claymore manga is still ongoing though so heres hoping for season 2.

I really wouldn't say they are piss poor. Like TV shows today, they are a million to choose from. Besides, anime now is drawn alot better than it was before, so it looks even better.

I don't watch alot of old stuff, mainly because the artwork is not near as good as it is now.

qualityanimationec5.jpg

Claymore is an awesome show, dunno if anyone recommended it. It's very Berserk-ish in more ways than one. Like Berserk the anime doesn't encompass the entire manga series and at the end of episode 26 there is no resolution. Claymore manga is still ongoing though so heres hoping for season 2.

I'm typically not a fan of "endless" series like Naruto, but Claymore was one show I wished they had just kept making more and more of and kept going with the manga. I didn't really get into until around episode 5, but after that I loved it. Because the manga isn't over, the TV show ended up having a weak ending, I thought.

I used to watch a lot of anime when I was younger DBZ, Sailor Moon (yeah, yeah, yeah....you watched it too admid it). I'm really picky about what I watch nowadays. Feature Films and such. But for some reason Shin Chan is a show I just can't stop watching. It's hilarious!

I'm not talking about the artwork. I'm referring to the animation, how much motion and emotion are present from the drawings. Most of what I've seen are just static heads with blinking eyes a mouth that just moves in and out and maybe some hair or a cape blowing in the wind. If it's an action sequence then it's just blurred fists and feet against a speed lined background. And I hate how some shows will completely change the art style on the fly for 'comedic' effect.

took the words right out of my mouth.

The anime I watch isn't like that at all, so I don't really know what you are talking about when you say bad animation.

He is talking about 95% of all Anime. I agree there has been some that is fully animated and done nicely. Miyazaki films fit into that 5%. Though as someone who studied animation for a while, i think its an Insult to call his work Anime, but i guess it technically is.

There are a few Anime out there that i enjoyed because the story was amazing, it canceled out the lack of animation. I Enjoyed most of the Kenshin series, but after Legends of Kyoto it isnt worth watching.

I haven't watched a huge amount of anime, I'm pretty picky about what I've enjoyed though. Honestly when someone says most anime sucks, well duh, it's just like any other form of television, most of it is going to suck.

That said most of the anime I've enjoyed has already been mentioned except for the more feminine ones. (which is understandable). I thought Fruits Basket was pretty good, Card Captor Sakura too (although that was when I was younger, maybe going back and watching it again will be different now).

Macross and Robotec were pretty good, as well as .hack//SIGN. (I wouldn't suggest the other .hack though, it sucked, and isn't even cannon for the actual storyline).

Ooooh, Hikaru No Go is good too, it's about a kid that learns to play Go when he is possessed by a ghost that taught Go to an emperor.

I'm not really sure how well these would really go with you though, I've been known to get great deals of amusement out of the Japanese Sonic X (which is for like...6 year olds), Digimon Adventure, and Pokemon. :P

I agree with this. I watched up until episode 30 or so and kind of stopped caring. Though it was a very different show than i thought it was going to be when i started watching.

Hmmm... thats a shame. I've just started watching it and so far it's one of the best shows I've ever seen and I don't even like anime that much. I guess it gets worse towards the end.

http://epicgaming.us/?p=41

I wrote this one night on shift just to vent about some of the things that I can't believe got popular. Everything in the article is of course IMO. If you disagree you have every right to.

Hey that made me giggle, I actually did sort of like InuYahsa only got around to reading two manga before deciding there was too much crap though... (I hate love triangle stories...bleh).

Oh, Hellsing was pretty good...I thought...it's uh vampirey...and stuff...I don't particularly remember it though since I watched it like...5-6 years ago...

http://epicgaming.us/?p=41

I wrote this one night on shift just to vent about some of the things that I can't believe got popular. Everything in the article is of course IMO. If you disagree you have every right to.

Are you even talking about SEED? I'm not aware of any mechs in it that have a jolly roger on it. That'd be odd as the SEED mobile suits are usually just solid colors without designs. Gundam SEED is my favorite anime (and 2nd favorite work of fiction) so I of course refute your entire view. I do find it interesting that you accuse the characters of being whiny but are an Evangelion fan. That's the show where I see people constantly bash the main character for being whiny, which I'm not really one of. SEED is actually an influence in my daily life and my foreign policy views. If I'm pondering whether something would be morally acceptable for a country to do in response to the actions of another, I usually think "Would Kira and Lacus approve?" as they are the most moral, pure, and noble characters that I'm aware of in all of the books, games, movies, and television shows I've experienced.

As for the conversations in Gundam Wing, I cared about the conversations. My circle of friends and I hardly ever have a time where we get together and DON'T discuss

a)The problems with humanity

b)How to solve them

c)Whether war is a viable solution

d)Whether democracy or tyranny is the best way to achieve change

No seriously. We do this. As for the plot itself, what more do you want? It's got political intrigue and war.