Anime

Gafgarion

Ah, anime. Grendizer was perhaps the first anime I was hooked into. It has a very strong fanbase here in Saudi Arabia because the Arabic dub was excellent stuff. Additionally, Captain Tsubusa (called Captain Majed in Arabic) was another strong anime here because of the dub and its all about soccer, which is a huge sport here. Back in the day, those two series were really addicting, and I never even realized that they were Japanese anime dubbed into Arabic until I looked around the internet.

Other than those, I was mostly into classic American cartoons, particularly TMNT. Dragon Ball Z was another anime I really got into for a short while when I used to spend my summers in the US.

Didn't get back into the anime scene until a couple of years ago when my friends raved about Naruto. I didn't see what the big deal was until I watched it and fell in love with it...although I can understand why people would think its overrated because of its DBZ-like nature. Since then, I've been dabbling here in there with series my friends recommend. Full Metal Alchemist was something I've been hyped about myself because Square-Enix was behind it. Then there's GetBackers, Bleach, dothack sign because I liked the first dothack game I played, One Piece, Gundam SEED, and a few others. Like some of you said, Death Note was spectacular. FLCL was also another series I was VERY surprised about; stylish animation with an AWESOME soundtrack. Finally, Read or Die isn't get enough love here...that was one hell of a series.

I LOVE Miyazaki's movies, but I've gotten into them somewhat late. Spirited Away was the first one I watched, and it really moved me. While not quite an anime, Little Nemo is one of my all-time favorites...I read somewhere that it's a co-production involving American and Japanese animation studios.

Definitely going to check out some of the stuff you guys recommended. Been reading on some of them in Wikipedia...Mushishi and Code Geass sound really interesting.

I recently bought an anime collection titled "Serial Experiments" or something of that sort. I need to watch that.

I will probably get beaten up in a back alley by fanboys for this but outside of Princess Mononoke, I really don't care for Miyazaki's work.

On that same note everyone of Yoshitoshi Abe's works are boring. But I think the main reason I hate those shows is because of my room mate back in Tech School never shutting up about them.

Ah, anime. Grendizer was perhaps the first anime I was hooked into. It has a very strong fanbase here in Saudi Arabia because the Arabic dub was excellent stuff. Additionally, Captain Tsubusa (called Captain Majed in Arabic) was another strong anime here because of the dub and its all about soccer, which is a huge sport here. Back in the day, those two series were really addicting, and I never even realized that they were Japanese anime dubbed into Arabic until I looked around the internet.

Other than those, I was mostly into classic American cartoons, particularly TMNT. Dragon Ball Z was another anime I really got into for a short while when I used to spend my summers in the US.

Didn't get back into the anime scene until a couple of years ago when my friends raved about Naruto. I didn't see what the big deal was until I watched it and fell in love with it...although I can understand why people would think its overrated because of its DBZ-like nature. Since then, I've been dabbling here in there with series my friends recommend. Full Metal Alchemist was something I've been hyped about myself because Square-Enix was behind it. Then there's GetBackers, Bleach, dothack sign because I liked the first dothack game I played, One Piece, Gundam SEED, and a few others. Like some of you said, Death Note was spectacular. FLCL was also another series I was VERY surprised about; stylish animation with an AWESOME soundtrack. Finally, Read or Die isn't get enough love here...that was one hell of a series.

I LOVE Miyazaki's movies, but I've gotten into them somewhat late. Spirited Away was the first one I watched, and it really moved me. While not quite an anime, Little Nemo is one of my all-time favorites...I read somewhere that it's a co-production involving American and Japanese animation studios.

Definitely going to check out some of the stuff you guys recommended. Been reading on some of them in Wikipedia...Mushishi and Code Geass sound really interesting.

I recently bought an anime collection titled "Serial Experiments" or something of that sort. I need to watch that.

The band who did the soundtrack for FLCL is The Pillows. They are really good. I have virtually all their cds on my comp.

Honey and Clover is considered a slice of life too if you haven’t watched it. In some ways, I’d suggest Hajime no Ippo to fall under that category. It’s quite an inspirational series imo.

Isn't it though? Didn't make me wanna go out and learn to box, but I've never found myself that invested in an anime character before. That story is very well written, one of my favorites for sure. Honey and Clover was interesting to me for sort of the same reason, I was really pullin' for Takemoto's character after a few episodes.

Lotta DBZ and Gundam hate, lol. Folks give DBZ a lot of crap for being so drawn out, but I don't think Naruto and Bleach would have existed if not for DBZ, so I respect it for the influence it's had, if nothing else. I hear the manga for it (and OG Dragonball) is awesome, so I'd like to check that out sometime. SEED was fun; normally I hate super-powered characters, but he went through some bullshit to get there, so he gets a pass. I love how he basically runs on godmode in DESTINY though.

There were some fun shows that came out last year that I enjoyed. Bamboo Blade is hilarious (about a teacher trying to assemble a crack female kendo team to win a bet), and Baccano was pretty interesting as well. Lots of people to keep track of, but it's a good, short series that made me smile at least twice an episode. Good action scenes too. Shion no Ou is also pretty interesting (about a mute shougi prodigy, becomes mute after witnessing the murder of her parents), and animated rather well. I wanna learn how to play shougi now.

Currently watching:

Witchblade (my wife hates it)

That's too bad, I thought it was really good, and an interesting take on the comic. I couldn't put it down after watching the first 4 episodes. It balanced the light-hearted comedy well (Masamune ftw) with the darker plot and kept the relationship of Masane and her daughter as the focus of the story, which was rather heartwarming at times. Damn good action too.

That's too bad, I thought it was really good, and an interesting take on the comic. I couldn't put it down after watching the first 4 episodes. It balanced the light-hearted comedy well (Masamune ftw) with the darker plot and kept the relationship of Masane and her daughter as the focus of the story, which was rather heartwarming at times. Damn good action too.

I agree. I don't see why my wife doesn't like it. I was in the same boat after about 6 eps. At about that point the sieres becomes fantastically awesome and stuff.

Also: I went and saw Bleach: The Diamond Dust Rebellion and while it was better than Memories of a Nobody, it still sucked pretty hard.

Lotta DBZ and Gundam hate, lol. Folks give DBZ a lot of crap for being so drawn out, but I don't think Naruto and Bleach would have existed if not for DBZ, so I respect it for the influence it's had, if nothing else.

Correct. If you noticed in some of the Chunnin exams episodes, Rock lee opens gates, which makes him look Super Sayan. And Naruto when he goes Nine-tails, he also has the same aura of power around him as well.

I finished watching Get Backers last week. I can't recommend the show as a whole, but the episodes where the storyline was being held within Infinite Castle proved to be above usual quality.

I've now continued with Dennõ Coil, and with Shigofumi in order to watch something with a more serious undertone.

Oh, and the second season of Minami-Ke sucks. It might be true that the jokes and all might still be the same, but with the new artist holding the pen, I can't seem to enjoy it.

I will probably get beaten up in a back alley by fanboys for this but outside of Princess Mononoke, I really don't care for Miyazaki's work.

On that same note everyone of Yoshitoshi Abe's works are boring. But I think the main reason I hate those shows is because of my room mate back in Tech School never shutting up about them.

I actually didn't like the most recent Miyazaki, I think his older stuff is better. Have you seen either My Neighbor Totoro or Omohide Poro Poro (also known as Only Yesterday)? I really like both of those movies.

I just finished watching FLCL (Furi Curi, Fooly Cooly, whatever) and it was amazing. Not so much for the story, because that was part lost in the translation and part just wack, but the animation is superb. The characters themselves are also both memorable and creative. Oh yeah, this one's deep but on a shallow level, it's magic.

Since it's only 6 episodes, go see it now. You probably won't regret it.

Back at tech school I had this roommate who was all up on the nuts of Miyazaki and Abe. That was all he talked about. That and the only thing he would talk about more is his computer.

True story: I had a huge test the following day from when this true story happend. I was trying to sleep because I had to get up at around 0400. I hear half way through the night the loudest mouse clicking I have ever heard in my life. After I rolled over and politely yelled at him to "chill out with the loud clicking," ten minutes later I here the same loud clicking. I had enough! I threw a book in his general direction. The next morning I had found out that his new case had been dented out of my rage towards loud mouse clicking brought about by Diablo.

That is why I hate Blizzard, Abe, and Miyazaki.

I started and finished watching Gurren Lagann. Where the hell did this show come from? I guess it's from last year and I've never really seen it mentioned anywhere. It's really really good. It's a sci-fi-ish story based in a post apocalyptic world where humanity is forced to live underground because the surface is ruled by Beastmen who pilot Ganmen (mechs). I recommend it, lots.

Started watching GTO Great Teacher Onizuka. It's pretty decent though the show starts off kind of different than the actual outcomes. I'm on episode 20 or so and at the beginning he starts off wanting to become a teacher so he can get with high school chicks but he becomes a serious (well not that serious) teacher it seems like.

Venus Vs. Virus is a really awesome anime. It is about a Virus hunter, and the viruses infect the world, with only a few select people being able to actually see them. It is really awesome. I am not sure if youtube episodes yet. The first volume came out on DVD last month.