Anime

Gafgarion

Is there any good anime left I should watch in this day and age?

Not really. Watch Zeta Gundam instead :P

Actually, there's lots of great stuff out nowadays. Lucky Star might be good for someone like you as a lot of the comedic material relies on knowledge of old anime or just the otaku culture in general. I would like to mirror what other people have been listing and recommend stuff like Mushishi, Death Note, Monster, code geass, Sousei no Aquarion, Gurren Lagann, etc.

I'm sorry, but if you feel that way, don't ever bother watching anime. It's hard to convince people blinded by nostalgia. Also, a lot of modern anime right now have sequels to the older franchises, so I see no problems why the nostalgia factor even matters. I mean, Golgo 13 finally got an anime version after like... 20+ years of not having a true TV anime series.

I watched a lot of shows from the 70s and 80s and of course the 90s, but I think 2000+ anime have been some of the best in history. There's way more variety and quality than there ever has been. If you 'can't stand' modern anime, then it means you just aren't looking for the right ones.

Maybe the nostalgia has blinded me a bit since I grew up watching anime from the 70s-90s. Not to say there are some good shows from this ddecade such as:

Cowboy Bebop

S-Cry-Ed

Samurai Chaploo

Full Metal Alchemist

Bleach

I did say in my post I can't stand MOST mondern anime, not all.

Golgo 13 is NOW just having an anime series? What the hell?! How one of the greatest manga of all time is just now having an anime series?

Maybe the nostalgia has blinded me a bit since I grew up watching anime from the 70s-90s. Not to say there are some good shows from this ddecade such as:

Cowboy Bebop

S-Cry-Ed

Samurai Chaploo

Full Metal Alchemist

Bleach

Golgo 13 is NOW just having an anime series? What the hell?! How one of the greatest manga of all time is just now having an anime series?

n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

you crazy man you crazy

Out of all the anime/manga that I've ever watched/read, the most thoroughly enjoyable were:

5. Azumanga Daioh

Great anime. Excellent comic strip. (FYI, the reason that timing is sometimes odd is due to the transition from the original comic strip format. The jokes make a lot more sense if you read the strip first.)

4. Comic Party

Actually, I've only read the manga. I haven't seen the anime yet. Great, light-hearted and enjoyable series with a superb ending.

3. Dr. Slump

I haven't seen the anime yet either, but the original manga is awesome. Light-hearted and supremely hilarious, Toriyama's debut series is what put him on the map and in the ready for Dragon Ball (there was even a Dr. Slump cameo during the second overall story arc). Tons of parody and comedy here (hope you don't mind some dirty jokes though).

2. Mahou Senshi Riui, aka Louie the Rune Soldier

An absolutely hilarious anime from mind behind Record of Lodoss War. The overall direction and episode setup is great (despite a major cliffhanger of an ending). I just wish ADV would've finished translating the manga and gone on to the Lodoss/Louie crossover. Jerks.

1. Cowboy Bebop

Best overall music. Best overall plot. Best overall episode setup (mostly self-contained episodes, but that eventually follow an overall plot). Best range of different sub-plot genres. Best overall ending. Best overall animation (2d and 3d). Best overall anime. Period.

Cowboy Bebop

S-Cry-Ed

Samurai Chaploo

Full Metal Alchemist

Bleach

If you liked Scryed and Bleach, you'd probably find a lot of new anime to be either amazing or bewilderingly good.

Right now Gundam 00, Code Geass and Macross are really good and they almost seem to break tradition with the way robot anime used to be. Then there's the visual freakshows like Kemonozume and Kaiba. Mind Game is a must-watch if you want to see what anime is truly capable of. And maybe The Girl Who Leapt Through Time on top.

Right now Gundam 00, Code Geass and Macross are really good and they almost seem to break tradition with the way robot anime used to be.

Code Geass, yes.

Gundam 00, no. It's Wing Redux with some extremely contemporary issues and some anime stock characters from other genres thrown in. I'm probably missing alot of good stuff since I only viewed the show in a language I half understand, but damn, watching the show was like watching everything popular thrown into a mech show for the sake of being popular.

I'm coming back to America very soon and I'll rewatch the series over the summer. I hope the intricate details turn it around for me.

As for Macross... you mean Frontier, right? Just clarifying, since the original is the way robot anime used to be.

Time for another of my anime summaries.

So Emo it Hurts: Neon Genesis Evangelion in One Act

Shinji, The Emo with Heart: BOY IT SURE DOES SUCK BEING ABLE TO PILOT UNLIMITED TECHNOLOGY!!

Real Doll: Hai.....

Total Pimp d00d: I F***ED EVERY CHICK IN MY OFFICE!

Shinji, The Emo with Heart: I CUT MYSELF WITH CHOPIN.

Pedochick: OH SNAP!! RITA IS ATTACKING ANGEL GROVE!! SHINJI, USE SUPER EVAZORD POWER!!

Shinji: WHY DOES MY COCKPIT LOOK LIKE A TAMPON?

Goldar: HOW CAN YOU HOPE TO DEFEAT US NOW EMO?

Total Pimp d00d: I F***ED RITA TOO!!

Foreign Exchange Student: I HATE YOU SHINJI!! I SURE HOPE YOU DON'T MASTURBATE ON ME IN A HOSPITAL!!

**He Totally Does**

Shinji: WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE ARE OUT OF MONEY?

Anno-san: THIRD STING BACKUP ANIMATION TEAM ASSEMBLE!!

Shinji: WTF??? WHAT HAPPEND TO MY FACE? I CANT CHANGE MY EXPRESSION!!

Lord Zed: YOU ARE NO MATCH FOR MY FLYING SPAGETTI MONSTER!!

**Some stuff happens that kinda sucks**

Dude-Love: I"M TOTALLY GAY FOR YOU SHINJI!! LETS MAKE OUT.

Shinji: OK!!

Dude-Love: PSYCH!! MAKING OUT WITH ME CAUSES THE WORLD TO END AND SHIT!!

Shinji: CURSES!!

Real Doll: I TOTALLY AM AMBIGUOUSLY HUMPING YOU RIGHT NOW!!

Shinji: WORD TO THAT. BUT I DON"T WANNA BE HUMPED BY A CHICK FOR THE REST OF ETERNITY!!

Earth: *DIES*

Shinji: I HATE YOU GERMAN GIRL!! YOU CAUSED WWII!! NOW IMMA CHOKE YOU OUT!!

Mankind: WE ARE SO F***ED!!!

Total Pimp d00d: -BY ME!!

*FINUS*

I fixed your post.

Ha! Thanks dude, =P. (Yeah, I'm not one of those guys who's gonna bitch about not likely this or that!)

Watch Magical Pokaan. It is a show about a Werewolf Chick, Android Chick, Vampire Chick, and a Witch Chick that try to survive in the human world by living in a tree house.

Quite good it is.

I check that out on YouTube the other day. It's pretty damn good! I actually only check out the part where the vampire chick was looking for blood and she came across a doctor who was in need of blood donors. I remember the part where one of the chicks licked juice off of another girl then I forgot what happen next.

Code Geass' date=' yes.

Gundam 00, no. It's Wing Redux with some extremely contemporary issues and some anime stock characters from other genres thrown in. I'm probably missing alot of good stuff since I only viewed the show in a language I half understand, but damn, watching the show was like watching everything popular thrown into a mech show for the sake of being popular.

I'm coming back to America very soon and I'll rewatch the series over the summer. I hope the intricate details turn it around for me.

As for Macross... you mean Frontier, right? Just clarifying, since the original [i']is the way robot anime used to be.

Gundam 00's first half was very much like Wing, then again, I never thought Wing was conventional with its extreme pacifistic message underneath (I mean, the crucial characters are named Peacecraft for crying out loud). But in the end things gets heated up pretty well and the pacing just seems to defy the conventions to me.

As for Frontier, it's like 00 in the way it skirts being oldschool and having new elements at the same time.

You guys know about Ragnarok, right? My friend had asked me if I have ever seen an anime show of it, and I told him no. I looked on youtube and found nothing but fan-made stuff and game trailers, so I'll take that as a no.

I have only read the manga articles a few times, and I'll tell you: it's badass.

1. Cowboy Bebop

Best overall music. Best overall plot. Best overall episode setup (mostly self-contained episodes, but that eventually follow an overall plot). Best range of different sub-plot genres. Best overall ending. Best overall animation (2d and 3d). Best overall anime. Period.

Well, I couldn't call it the best, but it's definitely one of them. Edit: honestly, I can't think of anything better, unless you're talking looks, but still, looks have only so much depth, plus CB looks good anyway. Musically? THE BEST!

Cowboy Bebop is definitely up there.

It's just a shame that it's not very popular in Japan, as no one, no one has ever heard of it. I've even checked out my university's manga club, and they were clueless as to what Cowboy Bebop is. The most common response I get when it's brought up is being asked if it's an American show.

It's amazing how differently the two countries seem to have received it.

Cowboy Bebop is definitely up there.

It's just a shame that it's not very popular in Japan' date=' as no one, [i']no one has ever heard of it. I've even checked out my university's manga club, and they were clueless as to what Cowboy Bebop is. The most common response I get when it's brought up is being asked if it's an American show.

It's amazing how differently the two countries seem to have received it.

I've heard stuff that like before. Honestly, it kinda freaks me out to know that this is the case. I think that the majority problem is that it originally an anime and not a manga / shonen comic. Otherwise it'd probably have a huge Japanese base, although I'm curious as to what regular publication it could've been circulated in.

Actually, I find the whole situation rather odd since the main writer for the series (Keiko Nobumoto did the screenplay) actually had a profound effect on some very groundbreaking anime - namely Macross Plus and Akira. Even more puzzling is the fact that Watanabe-sensei was the main writer for Samurai Champloo. Weird...

(Cowboy Bebop) has no moé and cute girls in it. It's amazing looking at the ratings and seeing trashy fanservice anime like ToLoveRu and Kamen no Maid Guy going way up there in ratings.

You've never heard Faye's Japanese voice, have you? It's one of the rare occasions where the English dub actually improved upon the Japanese version.

In Japan she comes across as wannabe cute school-girl, but America it's as a sexy vixen. I could never take Faye seriously listening to her in Japanese.

As for moé, yeah, Ed is about as close as Bebop got to that, with Ein being the mascot.

I just think shows and movies that are self styled in seriousness just tends to not do as well. People do not like serious business.

Deathnote? Code Geass? And lots of other serious anime that has done well?

Putting a lot of fan service in an anime is a like a double edged sword. Because of all the boobs the anime can't be terrible, so even if the story sucks, at worst it'll just be considered bad. Then again, even if it's good it'll still come off as cheap that the authors and animators had to use fan service to boost their show's popularity and ratings, so the anime will never be considered great either. On a box-and-whiskers plot ecchi anime will always hang around the median, sometimes venturing further out into the lower or upper quartiles, but it'll never get out of the box. This is unlike serious anime, which can go all the way out to the extremes, which can explain why Deathnote is super awesome and why Zombie Loan sucks immeasurably.

I wish Code Geass had less fanservice. I find its schoolgirls with enormous firm boobs disconcerting rather than sexy. I mean, part of the reason I like the show is Karen, but its because of Karen's background and character not the cheap ass shots and tight-fitting outfits. Episode 5 of the new season was just ridiculous. Viletta in a bikini in the festival. *sigh*. I wish Lelouch would just kill all his school friends or something. My one complaint against the show would thus be gone.

There are plenty of successful serious anime. Just look at how long Gundam has been around. Gundam is typically only humorous by accident.