Anime

Gafgarion

naw man naw

then again are you watching the anime because yeah I heard that is kind of the worst

I read mangos

Well, in all fairness, the manga doesn't have three unrelated (and pointless) filler seasons, so that's a big difference right there.

I stopped watching the anime when I found a reliable source for the manga, and that the anime was following it word for word, scene for scene. I just saved myself tons of bandwidth and time by reading it instead of watching it.

Same with Naruto. No filler, less effort.

yeah I just finished watching Midori Days

if you can get over the initial squick factor of the premise, it's actually a pretty good story with some genuinely hilarious moments.

i don't know why bleach is terrible, I just hate it because it's a long runner

Care to explain why it's so terrible? Or are you just going to hate it for no reason?

Have you seen it? I enjoyed it when it looked like a Yu Yu Hakusho clone (middle/high school students protecting humanity from evil spirits!), but as soon as they started the actual plotline, it dove headfirst into all the worst parts of shonen anime. People spending more time talking about their relative power levels and/or secret techniques than actually fighting. Having zillions and zillions of enemies who naturally attack the heroes in ascending order by power level so that each battle increases their strength just enough for them to win the next battle. New enemies emerging from nowhere with no warning just as the previous enemies were destroyed. Etc etc etc.

Nothing about it is unique or original, or even particularly well executed.

You're obviously not going to change his mind on this

I don't really want to change his mind but I do want to know his reasoning

Nothing about it is unique or original

I don't know the whole Spanish influence is not something I have personally seen before, and it is one of my favorite parts

The fact that it has Spanish terminology(which I guess from a pride standpoint is interesting to me) and music(ok the music is fucking great for the most part) doesn't change the fact that it has every shounen anime cliche ever used before.

Of course if you like it, more power to you. I like the art(outside of the anime, like all that G-SEED/GSD art) and music myself, but that's about it.

Point is, if you've seen DBZ, you've seen every other shounen anime.

I loved Bleach when it was about Ichigo and Rukia going around town hunting hollows. Those were really interesting stories about life and death and unfinished business; it was a wonderful premise.

As soon as they left the world and went to Soul Society, the series took a dramatic dive in quality. It degenerated into a very standard people-with-special-powers, battles-of-oneupsmanship, train-harder-to-gain-a-new-form series, which normally I do not mind because hey, I read Naruto. My issues are that the pacing of the manga is very slow and it takes way too long for things to happen; a lot of characters wear the same exact thing, which makes it difficult to differentiate; and that Tite Kubo's art, particularly during battles, ends up looking a lot like black smudges than anything more dynamic and detailed. What's worse is that I know he can do much better; I've read Zombie Powder.

I don't mind shounen anime cliches, but Bleach doesn't particularly do them very well.

You know, I thought they had it right when soul society (terrible name) was a place where you go when you die. But then it evolved into a different dimension entirely. People are born and die there. Even of old age. It has its laws and ruling classes, and has stopped being what it was before.

You know, I thought they had it right when soul society (terrible name) was a place where you go when you die.

guys look at me I don't pay attention!!!

when you die, you go to soul society

when you die in soul society, you go back to earth

people are able to reproduce in soul society because if they couldn't then where would new souls come from?

Point is, if you've seen DBZ, you've seen every other shounen anime.

Sorry but this is wrong. Shounen merely means that it is targeted to a young male audience. It says nothing about the content of the anime. You wouldn't say that Hikaru no Go is anything like DBZ.

• 2 months later...

You know they are making a Black Lagoon OVA now, right?

Which basically puts the entire next story arc into 3-episode form (I believe?), or if not that, movie form (which is basically 3-ep form)?

Expect to see the return of crazy psycho maid. "Roberta's Blood Trail" is what I believe it's called.

I will say though, that Black Lagoon is one of my all-time-favorite anime.

Also, I'm watching Kino's Journey.

It's pretty nice to have a well-written, believable, down-to-earth, and likable lead in an anime for a change. And I don't mean I haven't watched anime with those elements before, I'm just saying that Kino in Kino's Journey has ALL of them and more.

It's a pretty damn good series.

Actually, they finished subbing it, Ferret. They're working on Axess now.

I guess once they saw how 4kids murdered the original, they broke their vow and finished it.

Axess is the second series. Stream is the third, Beast is the fourth, and Beast+ is the last. Beast and Beast+ are the size of a normal season (51 eps) combined. Then again, each ep is 10 minutes long soo...

Stream, Beast, and Beast+ were never licensed by 4Kids, btw.

Just finished Hajime no Ippo last night. All I can say is... wow. Just... wow. Amazing, AMAZING show. I was never a fan of sports, or serious anime, but this was a well-balanced show of good length (76 episodes), GREAT character development, some skill-based fights (the whole COURAGE bit isn't nearly as prevalent as learning proper counters, training the right parts of the body, and hard work overall paying off), and some great reaction faces.

Highly recommended, especially if you liked shows like Gurren Lagann. GL's kind of an instant-gratification thing compared to HnI's slow payoff, but those fights are so worth it.