"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance!"
Ryu, the crowned champion of the first World Warrior tournament, finds victory over an opponent meaningless. Forever sporting a white gi, sparring gloves, and a bandanna to stay focused, he wanders, flying fists and feet sharpening his skills and perfecting his spirit. Periodically he visits Suzaku Castle, the burial ground for his sensei, to pay his respects — and to fight those who may challenge him.
Trained in Ansatsuken martial arts, Ryu boasts three key attacks. Channeling energy through his hands, he projects from them a wave in the form of a fireball, the Hadouken. Further defying physics is his ability to spin forward through the air, foot outstretched, creating a hurricane-like kick, the Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku. But it was the Shoryuken that stole the title of champion from Muay Thai kickboxer Sagat. Leaping to the heavens with the grace of a dragon, fist clenched in an uppercut, Ryu knocked down Sagat and scarred his chest. The accessibility of these moves, Ryu's balanced fighting style, and his character sculpt him as an iconic figure not only in the Street Fighter series, but the fighting genre as a whole.
Selected game appearances
- Street Fighter (1987)
- Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (1991)
- Street Fighter II': Champion Edition (1992)
- Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (1993)
- Super Street Fighter II Turbo (1994)
- Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dreams (1995)
- Street Fighter Alpha 2 (1996)
- Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter (1997)
- Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes (1998)
- Street Fighter Alpha 3 (1998)
- Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future (1999)
- Street Fighter IV (2008)
- Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (2010)
Neo Geo Pocket Color
- SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium (1999)
- Namco × Capcom (2005)
- Street Fighter X Tekken (2012)