Purchasing Used Microphone for Recording Piano and Vocals

Ted1234

Brief into, feel free to skip

Hello, several years ago I came on this forum interested in remixing and you guys helped me a lot with learning about recording midi. I took a break from music, and now I'm getting into live recording and I was hoping you could help me out.

end intro

I have several people I know who are selling their old microphones, so I'm taking this opportunity to try and get one for my own purposes. One is selling various mics, I believe it is this package http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package?sku=273166

But I'm not positive, if it isn't it definitely looks like that. He bought it for a hundred, and will sell the mics to me for 25 a piece, so yeah, half off.

I'm going to record piano and vocals undoubtedly. Guitar is also a possibility, but not nearly as essential.

I believe there is another mic he has, but he's out of town and I can't find out the model number.

My other choice is to get a Sterling Audio ST51. I could get it for anywhere from 35-50. So like, same price drop.

Thing is, I don't know shit about audio. Like, why would I need 2 mics? How would I even begin to record with two mics at once, or do I just use one? Which should I even get and why?

Thanks, I'd appreciate any input at all.