Fruity Loops 8 and Home Recording Equipment?

Hi

I want to be able to record both guitar and vocals (sometimes together, some separately) using fruity loops.

My spec is Windows XP Home

Realtek AC97 Audio

ASIO4ALL

Toshiba A60 laptop

I have whittled it down (being a beginner in this field) to the following requirements: -

UBS MIC (Any suggestions?..., SM58 or condenser, p.s. recording room not set up acoustically)

Guitar and jack leads (Tick)

External soundcard (Any suggestions?)

If use, for example, M-Audio Fast Track USB Guitar + Vocal Recording Audio Interface, which has support for ASIO, does this mean that this will still work with ASIO4ALL?

My web reference for the directly above: -

http://www.musiconmypc.co.uk/art_connect_microphone_to_pc.php#usb-mic

(No pitch intended Ed, please remove if required)

Any suggestions on a way forward would be much appreciated...

Thanks

I hope the above info is enough also...

I use a Line 6 TonePort, which is an ASIO device on its own, much like an external soundcard. As such, I don't even use ASIO4ALL while recording. If a M-Audio Fast Track is anything like a TonePort, it'll also be be treated as an external ASIO sound device.

I've never been fond of recording on laptops. I get a lot of pops and clicks when messing with the DAW, and I always have to set the buffers really low to get rid of said pops and clicks while recording. Something I never have to deal with on my desktop. Though, I might be doing something wrong.

I don't even know what a guitar "lead" is. I just use a normal guitar cable. Whatever I'm using in my band at the time.

I use a Shure SM58 for recording vocals. It's no condenser mic, but it's cheaper, and it gets the job done. Good built-in pop filter, too. I recommend it if you're on a budget. My recording space has never been set up acoustically, but it doesn't seem to impact sound quality too much.

Hei DusK

Thanks for the reply...

M-Audio Fast Track (Pro) has been advised to me before, so I guess that it would come with ASIO, which would, presumably, be selected as IN within FL daw... I guess that's a specific spec I can ask M-Audio, thanks!

Yeh I agree, laptops are a bit feeble, esp. in updating hardware, etc, goin by last weeks dismantle to remove all of the crap from inside of it, but I will for sure get a top spec'd PC as soon as I can..., thanks for the tip

Cable! ha! Dog's lead or somthing hah..:sleepdepriv:

OK, well thats really cool, coz its "whittled" (my favorite word at this mo in time) it down to M-Audio in theory, and Shure SM58. I dont have a decent amp at the moment to record from that, so I guess its possible to plug directly into mentioned sound cards... Suddenly, the need for a PC seems very real... ummm, cool

tnks