Latency Issues

Ok I didn't see a topic about this on the front page and this seems like it's specific to me unless someone else has an emu microdock but anyways, here it goes:

Ok starting with the general specs of my computer, I'm running a phenom II Quad core processor 3.0 ghz with 3.25 gigs of ram and my soundcard is the emu 1616m microdock and prior to that I was running an athlon dual core with 2 gigs of ram. When I was running the latter setup I had problems running zircons shreddage library, which prompted me to upgrade my computer. I switched to the better setup and wiped everything and attempted to run shreddage again which I had no problems with. I've recently reformatted my computer again and this time I'm gettin some issues that were worse than when I had my athlon setup.

The problem I'm havin is that distorted, scratchy sound which I'm sure you guys have all heard at one point. Do you guys have any idea of why it would happened now when I'm running the same setup as before and I didn't have any problems at that time? If anyone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

What's the buffer size set to in FL Studio/on your audio interface? Probably you set it too small.

Also, what other programs do you have running in the background? They could be slowing things down. And sometimes even having your network interface and/or wireless network card enabled (even if not in use) can cause some interruptions in the audio.

On the ASIO panel it's set to 7 which turns out to be 312 samples(8ms). The thing is I have run these before I had the problems and it worked just fine. Programs weren't an issue (although I shouldn't be running programs in the first place as it distracts me from making music lol). I have not changed anything it just started doin this out of nowhere. Unless this can be solved, I think I'm just gonna reformat my computer once more to clean out any bugs I think I may have that's suck up my cpu -_-.