Reverence - Legend of Mana for Brass Quintet

Fancy new version:

This is the recording from our debut concert, live June 27th.

This is probably the final version of the piece, barring finding someone with better mics to spend a day with us recording.

We were pretty fatigued at this point, this piece being 7 of 8 on the program, following Locke's Theme for Brass Quintet. Yes, THAT Locke's Theme. It's quite the chop buster, but it's also a hoot to play.

It was a good day for the Oakwood Brass Conspiracy.

----------------

Youtube Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBeMTXZ56XY

-----------

Old text w/o link to old, inferior material.

Fresh from our morning rehearsal, this is the Tree of Mana theme from Legend of Mana, arranged by me for brass quintet.

Recorded using the Zoom H2 hand recorder, which doesn't pick up nearly enough of the overtones of most brass instruments for my liking. Especially tuba. God, how can I be in tune and still somehow manage to sound sharp on those low Gs? Ugh.

Anyway, we're still trying to figure out proper balance - it's hard to tell if the horn needs to play louder, or if it's just an issue of mic placement.

Hopefully things will sound better using more & better microphones.

It's a good start though IMO.

Any comments/suggestions regarding balance, scoring, etc.?

I'm going to try find time to have the group rerecord in 2~3 weeks because missed notes, while an understandable occupational hazard for live performers, do detract from the overall appreciation of the piece.

So make those suggestions! I can't improve anything beyond those missed notes unless people tell what the things are that need improving.