PROBLEM SOLVED NEVERMIND [Slight Clipping When Routing Sound Through...]

I used to use the "ASIO4ALL" driver and get sound through the headphone jack on my laptop.

I recently acquired a new USB audio interface, Audio Kontrol 1, and I'm having some sound issues in FL Studio when I route the sound to my interface (because that's where I plug my headphones). Whenever I work, I hear slight clipping and can't seem to figure out why. It's not the Audio Kontrol 1 ASIO drivers, because even when I use Asio4all it still clips. I never had this problem when I used the integrated sound card on my laptop. Is this because USB is too slow to handle FL Studio output?

It's not a USB issue, or at least not a bandwidth issue. Is there a software mixer of some sort associated with the interface that everything gets routed through on its way to the device? If so, check the settings on that.

Are you positive it's not the case that you just didn't notice the clipping before because the audio quality on the integrated soundcard was lower?

It's not a USB issue, or at least not a bandwidth issue. Is there a software mixer of some sort associated with the interface that everything gets routed through on its way to the device? If so, check the settings on that.

No, it only has an Audio Driver control panel with buffering options and I set everything to high (I only keep it on low to record guitar). I route it through the interface using FL Studio's output dropdown menu in the mixer. (so it doesn't even go through windows, it goes straight to my headphones from the interface)

Are you positive that you just didn't notice the clipping before because the audio quality on the integrated soundcard was lower?
Also no, because other stuff that outputs sound works fine and I don't mix over 0 Db. Also, it still happens even if i lower the master volume until I can't hear a thing.

If other programs work properly and it still clips in FL when you lower the master toward nothing, it sounds like the problem is something internal to FL. The fact that the clipping continues when you bring the master down indicates that the clipping is occurring before the signal reaches the master.

Would this still be the case if I mention that the rendered mp3s are clip free?

EDIT: I lied, it is clipping in the mp3. But why? It's not 100% CPU or anywhere near 0 Db.

Now that's definitely weird.

Since installing the interface, have you tried going back to the internal soundcard to see if that's still okay or if it now clips, too?

EDIT: Posted before you edited. At least having clipping in the rendered mp3 means that the signal chain hasn't stopped making sense. Can you post an example that contains the clipping?

WAIT

Never mind, it seem to be only happening with this project file AND it does it even with onboard audio.

What i don't understand is WHY. It's not near 100% CPU load or 0 Db.

EDIT: Never mind, had a chat with Zircon. The problem was with Kore Player. Which is pretty weird, actually. It wasn't maxing out my RAM, CPU, or the volume, so I can't figure out why it would clip the audio. :( But Zircon was right, it was definitely the Kore plug in, because I swapped it out with a soundfont and the audio was crystal clear.

You had the level sufficiently lowered inside the Kore player (i.e. the plugin's output level) in addition to having proper FL track level and master level, right? The only thing I can think of that would make it clip like that is if Kore's output was set too high. If Kore's output was so high it was clipping, lowering the track level and master level in FL wouldn't do anything -- it would just give you a quieter clipped signal like you described.

You had the level sufficiently lowered inside the Kore player (i.e. the plugin's output level) in addition to having proper FL track level and master level, right? The only thing I can think of that would make it clip like that is if Kore's output was set too high. If Kore's output was so high it was clipping, lowering the track level and master level in FL wouldn't do anything -- it would just give you a quieter clipped signal like you described.

Ahhh, that is most specifically and truthfully what my problem was. I set Kore output to max. :P:banghead: