Where you started, how you studied, where you stand: a story of alliterative development

bucketbeck

Where I started:

Simple enough -- piano lessons. I started at age 9, and took them for 5 years, but I never took it too seriously (although I got pretty good). I played alto sax in my junior high band for a few years, but I never much enjoyed instruments that required that I put a stick of wood in my mouth. In 9th grade, I got my first bass, hated it, and bought a guitar, loved it, and never really played it much until 12th grade when the wonderful world of Buckethead changed how I look at music and helped me to take it seriously for the first time. I started playing guitar 6 hours a day, speed metal mostly, but I got burnt out, and the first couple years of college were nasty (pre-med at the time, hell-to-the-no anymore), so I didn't have much time to play. These days, I'm focusing on keyboard, theory, electronic music, and training my retarded ear.

How I studied:

Not a lot until 12th grade. Like I said, tons of guitar, tons of YouTube and otherwise instructionals, tons of emulating my favorite solos and whatnot. Now, I don't play much guitar, and instead I'm focusing on theory and keyboard to get my composing chops in order. It's working!!!!! YEEEAAAAAHhhhhhhHHH!!!! :350:

Where I stand:

Not where I'd like to be, by any means, but I'm improving every day, and I'd love to contribute to OCR once I feel like I'm creating music up to snuff.

Yes, I know that my story isn't terribly interesting.

Maybe yours is, though, and maybe some of us can learn from it.

Share.

NOW.

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22420&highlight=long

I started watching my older brother do some weird green bar stuff in some dark colored program called FL Studio.

What was even weirder was it was making SOUND. Like, MUSIC SOUND.

I asked him to show me how and he did. We (as in him doing most of it and me writing a few parts) made a song and i borrowed his laptop a few times to do stuff on my own. I obviously sucked, because I was like 10 at the time, but it grew from there. When I got my own laptop I installed FL Studio and then just went from there. I'm 14 now and i'm way better. Nowadays you'll see me in some one time remix competitions like Zircon's RAR! remix competition or The Grand Robot Master ReMix battle. I'm also making an appearance in the grand maverick remix battle, so to anyone, be sure to follow along as i get better by miles. :D

As for other kinds of experience, I played trumpet only in 5th grade and I'm taking a protools/garageband course in high school at the moment. Other than that, though, everything is taught to me from OCR.