Duke Nukem 3D

Fastel

Hi, sorry I'm drunk and right now returned from a jam session so my english is gonne be funcking fucked but... I'd like to show you something about my work i did the lost weeks/months.

Its a remake of the good old Duke Nukem 3D Soundtrack. I tryed to stay close to the original. have fun. I'd like to read comments ansd get feedback. soem of the tracks are a little bit quiet so you have to turn your volume high to the sky...

Stalker

Gotham

Ah Geze!

Future Military Conquest

Plasma

In Hiding

Water World

I'm just going to throw this out there. There are some problems right off the bat here.

1) YOUTUBE sound quality is awful, you should get a better host. Tindeck is a good one, and free.

2) You have... uh. 7... Songs. Usually for me to do a SHORT critical review is 3-5 playthroughs. Plus stopping for specific points of interest or critiques. To review this would take me like 4 hours if I were brief. The again, others might be better at teh quicknezz.

In the future, go one at a time, or with specific interests about each EX: Is this too close to the source for OCR? How is the production at 1:03? How do I clean up the muddyness at 3:10, etc.

I listened to the first link briefly (5 times through, 25 minutes)

-It sounds a bit muddy in places. Like the sound scape could be cleaned up and some EQ used to give you a more clear sound.

-Panning is a bit extreme at the beginning for my taste.

-At 0:45 the pad sounds kinda bland to me, play with it and make it wow me. As is I kinda fall asleep. This trend continues throughout the piece meaning it can never really build up to a place where it needs to be.

-Bass is weak, you really need something to fill that sound there. The pad is in no mans land, not high enough to fill a niche there, not low enough to do bass sounds.

-2:45 the drums are just mechanical and obviously sequenced. Go for a more natural sound to that fill. As well as just later on. Mechanically sequenced drums have their place in music, but not a piece that almost sounds human until a big drum break.

-The EQ in the whole piece needs to really draw your sounds apart more. It may be good to re write some parts on different frequencies (up and octave, down an octave, transcribed up a third) or something to give this some space, upper frequencies are just missing in this. Even bass heavy pieces have something in the highs to draw away from the lows. Draw away in one place, so you can emphasize later.

-Lots of these parts need some humanization in terms of volume and velocity. The quiet intro is a nice start, but the repetition could do with some accents or more defined accents so it's not so meh.

Hope that helps, and hope I explained why I only reviewed the one track. Keep at it 8-)

Hoi!

Thank you verry much for the help.

Sorry for so much links - sometimes I just like to throw out everything you know. Just to have it "done" and not rusting on my HD.

I'm not sure if I really want to work on an official OCR release. Thats why I just have given the YT links. The place I put music and everyone can simply find it.

The points you've given will be verry helpful in patching this stuff.

The Song you heared is still one of my most difficult work - because I everytime had problems with reverb/compression/EQ Work/Mastering and so on. And this track has 3 major synths and all of them are Bases. I wanted to do a dark work and ... didn't really wanted everynote so clear :D

The other tracks are more orchestral

http://soundcloud.com/fastel/ah-geeze

and/or including drums and synth

http://soundcloud.com/fastel/plasma

thanks a lot